Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Reply
Author

How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice?

(Read 3049 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 10:43 PM »

Anyhoo - I'll not pretend to know a lot about Aspergers, so I have no advice to give.  However I think our 'Prod' is sound - that'll do for me. Smile
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 10:50 PM »

Bloody posties are useless in Scotland.

I sent a christmas card to angie, and your dvd.. neither arrived the next day.

Ruthies dvd arrived the next day however.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 11:25 PM »

Hmmm - it had better turn up tomorrow!  Mind you, in fairness, sometimes the postie just can't get into the stair because of the security system, so if nobody's at home to answer/or bother to answer the buzzer and let him in, then no post can be delivered.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #33 on: December 09, 2013, 11:33 AM »

hi Joe, there was a phone in discussion on 5 live this morning about 9 all about Aspergers ...if you didn't hear it, it,ll be on podcast....take care.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 02:52 AM »

Heard today that Susan Boyle is in the Aspie Club. She sounds pretty sound about her membership. Good for her. Smile
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 06:27 AM »

^ Heard that too Linda! She says she's not 'social' yet she gets on stage and sings in front of millions. Like many famous Aspies before her, she's not gonna let it stop her fulfilling her dream! Gutsy lady!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 07:30 AM »

Having made the above comment, I'd like to add that I believe that many of the famous Aspies did not excel in their chosen field 'in spite' of Aspergers, but 'because' of it!  yes
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 07:11 PM »

Heard today that Susan Boyle is in the Aspie Club. She sounds pretty sound about her membership. Good for her. Smile
It must have been a relief to Susan to finally get this diagnosis after a lifetime of believing that she had been brain-damaged at birth.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #38 on: December 14, 2013, 09:35 PM »

You know what pisses me off the most? The fact Aspergers causes  you to not be able to make proper eye contact with people. I mean, I can handle it okay with family and friends, even people I do not know particularly well, even in job interviews... but when it comes to a girl I find really hot, I just cannot do it, for the life of me. It's horrible, I feel awkward, and it pisses me off. Probably why I have not had any girlfriends since I was 10 or something like that.

Oh well, I will settle for being single the rest of my life.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #39 on: December 14, 2013, 10:04 PM »

You know what pisses me off the most? The fact Aspergers causes  you to not be able to make proper eye contact with people. I mean, I can handle it okay with family and friends, even people I do not know particularly well, even in job interviews... but when it comes to a girl I find really hot, I just cannot do it, for the life of me. It's horrible, I feel awkward, and it pisses me off. Probably why I have not had any girlfriends since I was 10 or something like that.

Oh well, I will settle for being single the rest of my life.
Proddy I'm sure this is something you can overcome.  Maybe a lot of it is due to shyness as well?  I was painfully shy with boys, especially the ones I really fancied, and didn't have a steady boyfriend until I was 22, so please don't give up hope, because, believe it or not, quite a lot of girls actually like rather shy men.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 10:19 PM »

I don't think I can overcome it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 10:32 PM »

I don't think I can overcome it.
Have you mentioned this to Linda, or somebody else who has experience of Aspergers?  I can try to help you in my own way, but I don't have that same first-hand knowledge, which is much more valuable than just reading about it.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 10:55 PM »

Well I've mentioned it here now. We'll see what's going on. It just sucks feeling lonely as **** when my two best mates are in relationships.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #43 on: December 14, 2013, 11:41 PM »

Well I've mentioned it here now. We'll see what's going on. It just sucks feeling lonely as **** when my two best mates are in relationships.
I know exactly how you feel, and it is miserable, because I went through the same thing for years until finally I clicked with someone.

You've said you can handle making eye contact generally, so maybe you just try a bit too hard when it comes to a girl you really fancy, and so it becomes counter-productive.  Have you tried approaching girls who are less 'hot'?  Outward sexual attractiveness and good looks aren't everything, it's what a person is like inside that counts.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: How to cope with having Aspergers... any advice? « Reply #44 on: December 15, 2013, 12:01 AM »

Hot to me = girls I find attractive. The fact I suck around people I do not know usually is not helpful at all.

When I say I can handle it, I am okay, but still far from perfect.

It is horrible.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »