Anyone got or planning to get an Ipad?
They were finally released in NZ this morning and I've just been into a store to have a little play with one. It's pretty cool but it's essentially a large ipod touch, or iphone without the phone. Doesn't seem to offer much different apart from being much nicer to read on or write emails with the much larger screen.
If you have a laptop and Ipod/mp3 player then there's absolutely no need for one of these. It's cheaper than a laptop and a bit easier to carry around though so if you don't have a laptop but want to take a computer around with you a lot then it's worth it.
My first thoughts anyway.
The ipad is really good for the following situations :
1. Content consumption - web browsing. It is really convenient as the device is ready to use 1 sec after turning the device on, instead of the 3 - 4 minutes it takes my PC to turn on. There are times when we need to search for something quickly on the internet or read our email and haven't bothered before because it takes so long to boot up and shut down the PC. Now we can use the ipad straight away.
2. When you want to use it anywhere within the house, bedroom, bathroom, lounge, dining room, everywhere
. We only use it at home and love the experience. You really don't want to take it out when outdoor as it is much more noticeable than the ipod / iphone so can attract unwanted attention. It increases the freedom of usage at home and is relatively light 680g.
3. The games on the ipod touch becomes much more fun on the ipad as it is much bigger (~4x) so you can be more precise. Diner Dash becomes much easier on the ipad. Playing shooting game on the ipad gives a wonderful experience, especially the multiplayer games where 2 or more players can play at the same time. My brother, his wife and daughter played simultaneously (6 hands) and the ipad could cope.
4. Reading e-books / pdfs is much better than on the tiny ipod touch. The text and pictures are so clear and sharp.
5. The battery duration of 10 hours is really good.
The drawbacks are :
1. Can't play flash so I can't play the flash tennis summaries on the BBC website after Andy's match and other websites *&^%$£"
2. Typing on the ipad is ok but is quite a bit slower as compared to my ultrafast keyboard typing speed. Also there are characters on the keyboard that I can't find on the ipad electronic keyboard.
3. Creating content from the ipad is not advisable. We only use it to consume content - mainly web browsing, play games, read e-books