Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  UK riots 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 Go Down Reply
Author

UK riots

(Read 3128 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: UK riots « Reply #240 on: August 12, 2011, 11:22 PM »

Buy the time they pay for childcare its hardly worth working and they end up with little money in their pockets

This was why I wouldn't go back to full-time work when I had 3 kids under the age of 2 1/2.  The cost of the childcare would have taken most, if not all, of my weekly wage, but the powers that be at the benefits office didn't want to know that and said I couldn't get any benefits because there were jobs out there for me.  How things have changed somewhat.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: UK riots « Reply #241 on: August 13, 2011, 06:13 AM »

Littlebuddha, don't know about miners but he was the man who introduced the NHS and a particular hero of mine Smile
I now read that in the future university students will leave with a debt of £50,000 shocking Who but the wealthy will be able to go?
This has been explained time and time again! Students will only start to repay their debt once they can afford to! If that time never comes, then they will pay nothing! In short, 'anyone' can go to university!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: UK riots « Reply #242 on: August 13, 2011, 07:35 AM »

But Caz, if you come from a poor, even unemployed family, don't you think that the thought of that kind of debt would be a massive deterrent?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #243 on: August 13, 2011, 07:42 AM »

Nope.....Why on earth would it?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: UK riots « Reply #244 on: August 13, 2011, 07:44 AM »

Because if a kid comes from a family where no-one has ever been to uni before, there are already enough bear pits in front of them without adding the thought of huge debt.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #245 on: August 13, 2011, 08:05 AM »

No........When a kid goes to university, it leaves the bearpits behind!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #246 on: August 13, 2011, 08:09 AM »

Because if a kid comes from a family where no-one has ever been to uni before, there are already enough bear pits in front of them without adding the thought of huge debt.
This kid could have been me by the way.........just in case you were wondering!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: UK riots « Reply #247 on: August 13, 2011, 08:48 AM »

Just seen an interview on Sky News with 4 youths from the riots, talking about their booty they grabbed at the raid.  One of them was 16 years old and he said he got some stuff for himself and his son.  He's 16 years old, a child himself! no I should also add 'what kind of role model is that?' no
Yes, Bevc it's shocking, and the  "cycle of deprivation" goes on and on.  And while some on here are arguing it's not about financial deprivation, surely we would all agree that this is also about aspirational/moral deprivation and how the heck do you break that particular "cycle," that's the real question.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #248 on: August 13, 2011, 08:58 AM »

When I was a kid, nobody I knew was more financially deprived than me!That's no excuse!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #249 on: August 13, 2011, 10:05 AM »

Bevc good for you, re your child care Smile Very difficult for working mothers. And yes, it's about respect which must be earned. Kids learn by example, by clear boundaries, by living without fear, by love. If a kid is hit by someone in authority, whoever that is, all it learns is to go out and hit someone else.
BTW at the moment I can't think of any MPs I respect Frown
re private schools, I'm afraid they buy immense, unfair  privilege. Haig is the ONLY member of the cabinet who was state educated. This is absolutely dreadful How can they possibly have any idea how most of us try to live?
I never 'lived in fear', I had clear boundaries and loads of love! I had respect for my parents and was taught by my parents to have respect for other people's feelings and possessions! I never once went out and hit someone else! Millions of kids were brought up like me and yet it was practically 'unknown' for kids to behave in the way kids do today! We never had community centers....expensive toys.....computers or Ipods, and a blackberry was something you picked off a bush! I never even had a tv in my house till I was 12! Did I feel deprived? Absolutely not! I had everything I needed! It wasn't until the 'do gooders' came along and interfered in how people were raising their kids that the 'rot' started to set in! It's only these days that kids are 'allowed' to run amok and 'literally' get away with 'murder'! And what the hell is 'immense, unfair privilege' by the way? I don't feel that my kids had that! Where does the 'unfair' come in? As a matter of fact, the more kids there are in private school, the less pressure on the state schools [or are you going to disagree with that as well]!
[ Last edit by Caz August 13, 2011, 11:57 AM ] IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: UK riots « Reply #250 on: August 13, 2011, 11:15 AM »

I never 'lived in fear', I had clear boundaries and loads of love! I had respect for my parents and was taught by my parents to have respect for other people's feelings and possessions! I never once went out and hit someone else! Millions of kids were brought up like me and yet it was practically 'unknown' for kids to behave in the way kids do today! We never had community centers....expensive toys.....computers or Ipods, and a blackberry was something you picked off a bush! I never even had a tv in my house till I was 12! Did I feel deprived? Absolutely not! I had everything I needed! It wasn't until the 'do gooders' came along and interfered in how people were raising there kids that the 'rot' started to set in! It's only these days that kids are 'allowed' to run amok and 'literally' get away with 'murder'! And what the hell is 'immense, unfair privilege' by the way? I don't feel that my kids had that! Where does the 'unfair' come in? As a matter of fact, the more kids there are in private school, the less pressure on the state schools [or are you going to disagree with that as well]!

The minister in charge of education Michael Gove went to a Scottish state school.So did Danny Alexander and David Davis (although not sure if he is still in the cabinet). It is not necessary to experience poverty to understand it anyway so the whole obsession with where our politicians went to school is a pointless distraction. More relevant is where they choose to send their kids now eg Harriet Harman and Dianne Abbot - raging hypocrites both.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #251 on: August 13, 2011, 11:21 AM »

I agree ......again!  w00t
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #252 on: August 13, 2011, 11:39 AM »

re private schools, I'm afraid they buy immense, unfair  privilege. Haig is the ONLY member of the cabinet who was state educated. This is absolutely dreadful How can they possibly have any idea how most of us try to live?

What on earth is wrong with private school education? Do you expect the government to pay everything for you? Most private school parents work day and night in high pressure jobs to afford this sort of thing, sacrificing their time with their children for work. More often than not private school kids are a single child or only have one sibling for a very good reason. Unfortunately the superior quality of education that most private schools deliver over state is mistaken for snobery and personal qualities yet surely it is up to the parents alone to teach their children good manners!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: UK riots « Reply #253 on: August 13, 2011, 12:05 PM »

When I was a kid, nobody I knew was more financially deprived than me!That's no excuse!

This is starting to sound like a famous Monty Python sketch.

IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK riots « Reply #254 on: August 13, 2011, 12:14 PM »

Therefore a state education should be comparible. Its all very well to say that parents who send their kids to private school are paying through the nose for their education. State school should be doing better for ordinary kids, parents like mine helped me a great deal by reading to me and supervising my homework. In Primary school there were 44 children in my class. I do not know about schools in England but I would guess class sizes would be quite large. Bye the way we do pay for our education through our taxes.  Every child is entitled to a reasonable education. I think the quality of the teaching has to improve and make lessons interesting and motivating pupils to do well.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »