Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  UK riots 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Go Down Reply
Author

UK riots

(Read 3007 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: UK riots « Reply #255 on: August 13, 2011, 12:20 PM »

Therefore a state education should be comparible. Its all very well to say that parents who send their kids to private school are paying through the nose for their education. State school should be doing better for ordinary kids, parents like mine helped me a great deal by reading to me and supervising my homework. In Primary school there were 44 children in my class. I do not know about schools in England but I would guess class sizes would be quite large. Bye the way we do pay for our education through our taxes.  Every child is entitled to a reasonable education. I think the quality of the teaching has to improve and make lessons interesting and motivating pupils to do well.

State schools are perfectly fine. Education is very much down to the individual. All that is needed is a personal quest for knowledge. One of our members went to Oxford from a state school. It just takes hard work, not a silver spoon.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: UK riots « Reply #256 on: August 13, 2011, 12:21 PM »

This is starting to sound like a famous Monty Python sketch.

roflmao  :p
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: UK riots « Reply #257 on: August 13, 2011, 12:29 PM »

Because if a kid comes from a family where no-one has ever been to uni before, there are already enough bear pits in front of them without adding the thought of huge debt.

No-one in my family went to uni, nor my mum's or dad's. And speaking to my hubby, it's the same for him. My son is partway through his 2nd year at uni and already they are deducting money out of his wages (he works part-time) to repay his student loan. My eldest daughter is applying to join uni next year.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #258 on: August 13, 2011, 12:31 PM »

State schools are perfectly fine. Education is very much down to the individual. All that is needed is a personal quest for knowledge. One of our members went to Oxford from a state school. It just takes hard work, not a silver spoon.

yes

IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #259 on: August 13, 2011, 12:34 PM »

Therefore a state education should be comparible. Its all very well to say that parents who send their kids to private school are paying through the nose for their education. State school should be doing better for ordinary kids, parents like mine helped me a great deal by reading to me and supervising my homework. In Primary school there were 44 children in my class. I do not know about schools in England but I would guess class sizes would be quite large. Bye the way we do pay for our education through our taxes.  Every child is entitled to a reasonable education. I think the quality of the teaching has to improve and make lessons interesting and motivating pupils to do well.

Private school parents aren't exempt from paying taxes to subsidise the country's state education system...

The quality of state education seems to be of a reasonable quality in suburban and rural areas. It's big cities where the problems start, strict catchment areas and more immigration results in more racial segregation. I would be the only white person if I went to my local state school where I live in London.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: UK riots « Reply #260 on: August 13, 2011, 12:55 PM »

Composition of H of C from Andrew Neil's Blog BBC 2 10/06/2010

53% of Tory MPs privately educated, 20 went to Eton
40% of Lib Dems   ditto
15% Labour ditto
% privately educated MPs gone up not down.
Yet only 7% of general public received private education.

alarmed, curious, angry, disinterested, pleased?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #261 on: August 13, 2011, 01:05 PM »

Watched a really interesting programme the last 2 Saturdays - Slumming It with Kevin McCloud. Very interesting observation on societies. 1 million people living in 1 sq mile and a shanty town at that.

Not interested in where politicians were educated. It's what they do as a MP that counts and what they will be judged on.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #262 on: August 13, 2011, 01:07 PM »

Composition of H of C from Andrew Neil's Blog BBC 2 10/06/2010

53% of Tory MPs privately educated, 20 went to Eton
40% of Lib Dems   ditto
15% Labour ditto
% privately educated MPs gone up not down.
Yet only 7% of general public received private education.

alarmed, curious, angry, disinterested, pleased?

Your point is?

Better schooling can only be a good thing.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #263 on: August 13, 2011, 01:09 PM »

Watched a really interesting programme the last 2 Saturdays - Slumming It with Kevin McCloud. Very interesting observation on societies. 1 million people living in 1 sq mile and a shanty town at that.

Not interested in where politicians were educated. It's what they do as a MP that counts and what they will be judged on.
Yep, you took the words right out of my mouth Bev!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #264 on: August 13, 2011, 01:31 PM »

I agree some schools are better than others, but it can be a bit of a lottery these days! That's why some parents are willing to move house to get their kids into a decent school. Private schools are all good, so if you have a silver spoon, why use a wooden one! Also, as I pointed out earlier, the more kids in private school, the less strain on the state schools!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK riots « Reply #265 on: August 13, 2011, 01:42 PM »

What is this rot about subsidies. Are you suggesting that we should get down on our knees and thank the upper class for our educational system. They because they have plenty of money can afford to send their children to private schools. My son went to university and my daughter is there just now and goes into her third year at the beginning of September.  My children are the first in my family to go to university. I dont feel I owe anyone anthing. They got there through hard work. From what I see you are saying that areas that have a high proportion of immigrants have poor schooling.  If this government does not take action in its housing policy to ensure this is not allowed to happen. There should be an equal racial mix with equal opportunities in education. If the current situation continues the same think will happen again. Young people will feel that they are worthless with not future to look forward to. An ever increasing spiral downwards and no pospects of a descent life or good job.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: UK riots « Reply #266 on: August 13, 2011, 02:57 PM »

More than half top doctors,
7 in 10 judges
6 in 10 Barristers
etc etc
Source: Does a Narrow Social Elite run the country?
BBC 26/01/2011
Also "Private sscool stranglehold on top jobs" Independent 15/06/2006 worth a look. Nothings changed, in fact it's all getting worse.
Just noticed Osbourne has just said almost exactly what I've been saying re riots. Must've nicked my copy of "The Communist Manifesto" when I wasn't looking...
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: UK riots « Reply #267 on: August 13, 2011, 03:04 PM »

There are still alot of excuses made here for just plain bad behaviour.They do it because there are no consequences.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: UK riots « Reply #268 on: August 13, 2011, 05:00 PM »

What is this rot about subsidies. Are you suggesting that we should get down on our knees and thank the upper class for our educational system. They because they have plenty of money can afford to send their children to private schools. My son went to university and my daughter is there just now and goes into her third year at the beginning of September.  My children are the first in my family to go to university. I dont feel I owe anyone anthing. They got there through hard work. From what I see you are saying that areas that have a high proportion of immigrants have poor schooling.  If this government does not take action in its housing policy to ensure this is not allowed to happen. There should be an equal racial mix with equal opportunities in education. If the current situation continues the same think will happen again. Young people will feel that they are worthless with not future to look forward to. An ever increasing spiral downwards and no pospects of a descent life or good job.

I don't think she said that-I think she said that people who send their kids to private schools still have to pay taxes which are then spent on the state education system.
She didn't say that meant anyone owes anyone anything, she just stated a fact. That people pay taxes supporting and paying for the education system (among other things) and that people that send their kids to private schools aren't exempt from those taxes.
Also she said
The quality of state education seems to be of a reasonable quality in suburban and rural areas. It's big cities where the problems start, strict catchment areas and more immigration results in more racial segregation. I would be the only white person if I went to my local state school where I live in London.
That is not saying it's poorer schooling, just that there's more problems found there, which is true. This isn't a new thing. My cousin was the only white girl in her class when she went to school in London about 25 years ago.

And sorry but it's not just those that haven't had/ taken the chance for further education that feel worthless with no future to look forward too- incase you hadn't noticed there's a fair few graduates struggling for work too.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK riots « Reply #269 on: August 13, 2011, 05:21 PM »

I know that about graduates. My son took two years to find a descent job. He has a degree in town planning. He even moved away to live in wales and was only offered dead end jobs. But this does not mean people who have poor social circumstances should be left to fend for themselves, Something must be done about poor educational standards in the inner subhurbs they should not be left to rot.  We all have a stake in the future of this country. If we do not want the same to happen all over again we have to do something to improve their chances. And yes we all pay taxes not just the wealthy so there is reason to hope that all levels of society are given a fair chance to improve their life. As I have said already perhaps more effort should be made to make sure the racial mix in schools and housing is
improved. Perhaps this would help to even out problems and give young people a better chance in society.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »