Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  UK riots 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 Go Down Reply
Author

UK riots

(Read 3043 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: UK riots « Reply #285 on: August 14, 2011, 06:28 AM »

I very much doubt that luck had much to do with it. I remember reading some time ago that pupil who went to state shcools and had good qualifications was rejected for admission as she did not have the social skills (whatever that means) but was accepted by cambridge. It is very difficult to gain entrance to the blue ribbon universities. Perhaps its not what you know but who you know.
LB......I don't often comment on your posts, but I find this suggestion not only ridiculous, but insulting too! Eira clearly stated that she was one of 6 in her year who got accepted.........Do you think they'all' 'knew' someone? fainting
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: UK riots « Reply #286 on: August 14, 2011, 11:12 AM »

I wonder how many university places are put aside for international students?  This is where they make their money.

Just google some stats for Oxford and interesting reading:-

There are over 21,000 students at Oxford, including 11,723 undergraduates and 9,327 postgraduates.

The majority of Oxford’s UK undergraduates come from state schools. Latest figures (entry 2010) show that, for UK students attending schools or colleges in the UK, 55.4 per cent of places on undergraduate courses went to applicants from the state sector, and 44.6 per cent went to applicants from the independent sector.

Overall, 61 per cent of Oxford’s current graduate students come from outside the UK.

Over a third of our total student body - nearly 8,000 students - are citizens of foreign countries, including 15 per cent of undergraduates and 61 per cent of graduate students.

Think

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/index.html

The thing is that 55% are from state chools but the percentage of UK children at state schools is probably I dont know maybe 85% of the total number of children so admission is still wildly disproportionately in favour of private pupils and that is because their results are proportionately far, far better. To redress the balance the politicians desperately try and tinker with the exams and admissions structure when what they need to do is provide good schools for everyone, as happens in most European countries.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #287 on: August 14, 2011, 12:08 PM »

I wonder if other European countries have as many people on benefits as we do......refugees ect. Hmmm! Think
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK riots « Reply #288 on: August 14, 2011, 12:50 PM »

I have just finished reading an article in the times (News Review) on the front page. I do not see the point of replying to all the above comments. It is so obvious that some people on this site are blaming the people who live in those areas. Perhaps if some of you lived there and had so little opportunity to better themselves you might not be so strident with your comments. If you can't read or have the reading skills of a 7 year old how are you expected to get a job.  If you go to the job centre and are told
there is no point in applying for jobs what are you supposed to do. Most of the manufacturing jobs have gone. Those jobs were the ones the unskilled did. They have now gone.What do you expect those people to live on.? And you seem to be suggesting that we had an easy life ! for your information anything I have my parents and myself worked for. You go on  about benefits once more you are fortunate to be able to go to private education you were lucky. If people cannot get work what are they supposed to do eg talking about someone with ten children. It was also mentioned about private schools "charitable" tax status. I am sure parents of private schools also get tax relief. Plus I am sure people with high incomes know all the loopholes to get tax relief. We dont we pay tax directly off our wages. As for discrimination my friend's son had excellent results, he wanted to do medicine at Edinburgh University but was rejected, he is Scottish and there are plenty of English students going to scottish universities. And yes facts and reality are in this conversation.  I do not need to be told what to say to a person who keeps telling me that what I say is inaccurate  and seem only to pick and choose what she believes. And yes there is social unequality and there is no point in hiding it as others on this site would wish too.  I am sure I will have the same old arguements thrown back at me. Wake up nothing will change unless we make changes to the education policy in the inner subhurbs of London and give young people a chance of a better life. They need to be connected to society rather than being thrown in the trash can.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK riots « Reply #289 on: August 14, 2011, 03:04 PM »

Caz I dont make comments on your posts to so we are quits.Your disscussions do not interest me.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: UK riots « Reply #290 on: August 14, 2011, 05:05 PM »

LB, do you live in the inner suburbs of London, just out of interest? Smile
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK riots « Reply #291 on: August 14, 2011, 05:48 PM »

No I dont but that does not mean I can make comments about it. Do you.?
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: UK riots « Reply #292 on: August 14, 2011, 06:03 PM »

I have just finished reading an article in the times (News Review) on the front page. I do not see the point of replying to all the above comments. It is so obvious that some people on this site are blaming the people who live in those areas. Perhaps if some of you lived there and had so little opportunity to better themselves you might not be so strident with your comments. If you can't read or have the reading skills of a 7 year old how are you expected to get a job.  If you go to the job centre and are told
there is no point in applying for jobs what are you supposed to do. Most of the manufacturing jobs have gone. Those jobs were the ones the unskilled did. They have now gone.What do you expect those people to live on.? And you seem to be suggesting that we had an easy life ! for your information anything I have my parents and myself worked for. You go on  about benefits once more you are fortunate to be able to go to private education you were lucky. If people cannot get work what are they supposed to do eg talking about someone with ten children. It was also mentioned about private schools "charitable" tax status. I am sure parents of private schools also get tax relief. Plus I am sure people with high incomes know all the loopholes to get tax relief. We dont we pay tax directly off our wages. As for discrimination my friend's son had excellent results, he wanted to do medicine at Edinburgh University but was rejected, he is Scottish and there are plenty of English students going to scottish universities. And yes facts and reality are in this conversation.  I do not need to be told what to say to a person who keeps telling me that what I say is inaccurate  and seem only to pick and choose what she believes. And yes there is social unequality and there is no point in hiding it as others on this site would wish too.  I am sure I will have the same old arguements thrown back at me. Wake up nothing will change unless we make changes to the education policy in the inner subhurbs of London and give young people a chance of a better life. They need to be connected to society rather than being thrown in the trash can.
I agree with you LB. I'm arguing for every one to get the same education and chance in life.But its not going to happen overnight and there are currently no politicians with the courage to change anything.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK riots « Reply #293 on: August 14, 2011, 06:09 PM »

eira_arian I am not being rude but some people dont know what they are talking about. You dont have to live in London to know what its like to live in poverty or have a poor education. I was brought up in Edinbirgh and lived in a rough part of the city. I educated myself going to night school and became a psychiatric Nurse. I am sick of all the rubbish I am hearing on this site. People need an incentive to allow them to have chance in Life. I used to send job applications and as soon as they saw my address and postcode that was that. I was coming home one night and there was a load of police cadets they were insulting and talking about people in the area as sh-t I dont care what people say but that is wrong. People should not be judged from were they live. Everyone deserves a descent education and the hope that they can improve their life without all the sh-t being thrown at them.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK riots « Reply #294 on: August 14, 2011, 06:12 PM »

I agree MT but something must happen soon. I hope our political masters pull their fingers ou and deal with it. In the meantime things will not change for the better. If not all the riot will start again and the situation will be worse.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: UK riots « Reply #295 on: August 14, 2011, 07:45 PM »

It was a genuine question - I wasn't having a go. But to answer you, I do live in central London.

Having said that, it might go a bit better for you if you weren't so defensive - bit rude to tell Caz that you have no interest in anything she has to say then expect everyone to swallow your views without any debate. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but please let's all try to get on...
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: UK riots « Reply #296 on: August 15, 2011, 01:19 AM »

eira_arian I am not being rude but some people dont know what they are talking about. You dont have to live in London to know what its like to live in poverty or have a poor education. I was brought up in Edinbirgh and lived in a rough part of the city. I educated myself going to night school and became a psychiatric Nurse. I am sick of all the rubbish I am hearing on this site. People need an incentive to allow them to have chance in Life. I used to send job applications and as soon as they saw my address and postcode that was that. I was coming home one night and there was a load of police cadets they were insulting and talking about people in the area as sh-t I dont care what people say but that is wrong. People should not be judged from were they live. Everyone deserves a descent education and the hope that they can improve their life without all the sh-t being thrown at them.

Just read that article in the Times Review by Harriet Sargeant and it is superb and very heartbreaking. Who is looking after these kids, who cares about them? It seems so hopeless.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: UK riots « Reply #297 on: August 15, 2011, 01:58 AM »

The thing is that 55% are from state chools but the percentage of UK children at state schools is probably I dont know maybe 85% of the total number of children so admission is still wildly disproportionately in favour of private pupils and that is because their results are proportionately far, far better. To redress the balance the politicians desperately try and tinker with the exams and admissions structure when what they need to do is provide good schools for everyone, as happens in most European countries.

Ok MT, lets say that Oxford and other unis are diddling their figures but some responsiblity lies with parents/children that are underachieving.  LB mentions kids with a reading age of 7 that must be older than that.  I sat with my kids every night, during term time, going through their reading books and words that they had to learn.  And if schools don't have enough books to go around, then there are libraries (if they haven't been closed down) to loan books from or parents can make their own word library with their kids.  

I know that all kids aren't the same.  I have twin girls and in the UK they were in all classes together and they had different results.

I wonder if other European countries have as many people on benefits as we do......refugees ect. Hmmm! Think

Yes indeed.

[ Last edit by Bevc August 15, 2011, 04:37 AM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK riots « Reply #298 on: August 15, 2011, 06:00 AM »

Ok MT, lets say that Oxford and other unis are diddling their figures but some responsiblity lies with parents/children that are underachieving.  LB mentions kids with a reading age of 7 that must be older than that.  I sat with my kids every night, during term time, going through their reading books and words that they had to learn.  And if schools don't have enough books to go around, then there are libraries (if they haven't been closed down) to loan books from or parents can make their own word library with their kids.  

I know that all kids aren't the same.  I have twin girls and in the UK they were in all classes together and they had different results.

Yes indeed.

I used to do that with my kids too Bev, and now I do it with my grandchildren!     Your 'Yes indeed' comment' I take it you're sayng other European countries do have as many people on benefits and refugees as we do! I ask because several times now, when I've seen these people on TV asked the question 'Why did you choose Britain"? The answer has always been the same....."In Britain, everything is free." We are such a tiny country, so I suppose I'm talking percentages and footage here. Do you know?
[ Last edit by Caz August 15, 2011, 08:08 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: UK riots « Reply #299 on: August 15, 2011, 07:44 AM »

My 'yes indeed' comment was aimed towards your 'I wonder' comment but I think that you are correct in saying that the UK is probably the top of the list for immigrants because the benefits they are entitled to. The UK is seen to be a soft touch, IMO.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »