Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  UK riots 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 21 Go Down Reply
Author

UK riots

(Read 3335 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

UK riots « on: August 07, 2011, 12:19 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14434318

And now our very own street fighting Rolling Eyes
[ Last edit by Mark August 09, 2011, 06:43 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: London riots « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 08:01 AM »

Headline news for us tonight.  Doesn't look good no
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: London riots « Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 12:11 PM »

It's ridiculous. An originally peaceful protest taken over by looters ans rioters. Because the police were so busy defending themselves people have carried off trollies full of stolen goods. It's basically turned into a night to attack police so people could steal unhindered.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: London riots « Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 02:44 PM »

It's ridiculous. An originally peaceful protest taken over by looters ans rioters. Because the police were so busy defending themselves people have carried off trollies full of stolen goods. It's basically turned into a night to attack police so people could steal unhindered.
WELCOME TO BRITAIN 2011!  What a sad pathetic country we've become.

IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: London riots « Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 02:54 PM »

Memories of the Brixton riots come to mind.  Lack of leadership in this country is adding to the woes.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: London riots « Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 03:05 PM »

Lack of leadership in this country is adding to the woes.
Absolutely, Iris.  But we can't lay all the blame at the feet of the present leadership.  This country is now paying the penalty for years of dysfunctional government.  I truly do not know what the answer is.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: London riots « Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 03:19 PM »

I in know way condone the riots and stealing from shops. A community worker has said that the youth in Tottenham were fustrated about cuts being made re funding of youth projects and unemployment. Also the stop and search by police. The unemployment situation will continue to worsen and I cannot see an end to it in the near future. It was also said that there was a peaceful protest at the police station. It then became ugly when a sixteen year old girl was hurt.  This was all started when the police shot and killed a 29 year old man. None of the circumstances of this has been explained and this is what kicked off the protests. We will have to wait for an explanation from the police to find out the full story.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: London riots « Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 03:25 PM »

Absolutely, Iris.  But we can't lay all the blame at the feet of the present leadership.  This country is now paying the penalty for years of dysfunctional government.  I truly do not know what the answer is.
Its still a dysfunctional government and there is no-one on the horizon who looks as though they could give some sort of leadership and a recognition of what is going wrong with this country, until there is I fear for the way things are going.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: London riots « Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 03:45 PM »

I in know way condone the riots and stealing from shops. A community worker has said that the youth in Tottenham were fustrated about cuts being made re funding of youth projects and unemployment. Also the stop and search by police. The unemployment situation will continue to worsen and I cannot see an end to it in the near future. It was also said that there was a peaceful protest at the police station. It then became ugly when a sixteen year old girl was hurt.  This was all started when the police shot and killed a 29 year old man. None of the circumstances of this has been explained and this is what kicked off the protests. We will have to wait for an explanation from the police to find out the full story.

THe peaceful protest started because of the 29 year olds death. The rest came from people who wanted to stir up trouble. If you're truly just annoyed at the police you don't burn down local homes and businesses-and if you really care about the 'community' then you aren't then loading trolley's and your car with stolen goods.
The violence is not justifiable. Anger and a wish for answers is, peaceful protest is- what occurred last night was because trouble-makers found an excuse to bring chaos to the area.
[ Last edit by Hazybear August 07, 2011, 04:09 PM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: London riots « Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 03:57 PM »

Hazybear. I have no axe to grind I am just saying what was on the BBC news this morning. I also agree with Iris this government shows no leadership and is only interested in cutting the 50p taxrate for the already rich. Ordinary people are struggling to make end meet so much for equality in UK.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: London riots « Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 04:24 PM »

Hazybear. I have no axe to grind I am just saying what was on the BBC news this morning. I also agree with Iris this government shows no leadership and is only interested in cutting the 50p taxrate for the already rich. Ordinary people are struggling to make end meet so much for equality in UK.

I didn't say you did, I was jut giving my view and that I don't see burning down the Post Office and various other local businesses can be at all justified or seen as an act of the community seeking justice for this mans death. It was taken over and corrupted by people who live for disturbance.
Government leadership means squat in this. All the current goverment and economic circumstances give are excuses for people to act like this thinking they cna justify their actions-but they can't. The are vandals, thieves and criminals, not in anyway adding to the social voice trying to seek a fairer Britain for the ordinary people. It's the ordinary people who have ben hurt most here, not the government or establishment.

IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: London riots « Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 07:02 PM »

I didn't say you did, I was jut giving my view and that I don't see burning down the Post Office and various other local businesses can be at all justified or seen as an act of the community seeking justice for this mans death. It was taken over and corrupted by people who live for disturbance.
Government leadership means squat in this. All the current goverment and economic circumstances give are excuses for people to act like this thinking they cna justify their actions-but they can't. The are vandals, thieves and criminals, not in anyway adding to the social voice trying to seek a fairer Britain for the ordinary people. It's the ordinary people who have ben hurt most here, not the government or establishment.

It is the ordinary people who have been hurt but the government and those in authority should lead by example and over the recent years successive governments have led us into questionable wars, the promotion of a non society where only the individual matters, expenses fraud, phone hacking, employing individuals with corrupt or criminal backgrounds.  Events such as those experienced last night will become commonplace as the cut backs begin to bite and individuals who feel they have nothing to lose will continue to break the law.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: London riots « Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 07:20 PM »

I Agree.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: London riots « Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 07:24 PM »

I think before long all of this kind of behavior will become common place. We see it here on the States all the time.Corruption is everywhere.I don't agree one bit with how people react you should have seen all the stuff that went on after katrina.When folk get desperate they do desperate things.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: London riots « Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 08:39 PM »

It is the ordinary people who have been hurt but the government and those in authority should lead by example and over the recent years successive governments have led us into questionable wars, the promotion of a non society where only the individual matters, expenses fraud, phone hacking, employing individuals with corrupt or criminal backgrounds.  Events such as those experienced last night will become commonplace as the cut backs begin to bite and individuals who feel they have nothing to lose will continue to break the law.
That's it in a nutshell, Iris.  Corruption and greed starts at the top and works its way down right to the bottom of society.  And it isn't only governments - look at how the banks behaved, and are still behaving.  No lessons have ever been learned, and now Britain is like a tinder box.  What happened in London might be a huge wake-up call, although I'm not holding my breath, but even so it'll take several generations, if ever, to dig Britain out of its current mess.  Law and order, trust and discipline have to be restored at all levels of society, and that is going to be a Herculean task.   
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 21 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »