Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  UK riots 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 21 Go Down Reply
Author

UK riots

(Read 3000 times)
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: London riots « Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 08:55 PM »

That's it in a nutshell, Iris.  Corruption and greed starts at the top and works its way down right to the bottom of society.  And it isn't only governments - look at how the banks behaved, and are still behaving.  No lessons have ever been learned, and now Britain is like a tinder box.  What happened in London might be a huge wake-up call, although I'm not holding my breath, but even so it'll take several generations, if ever, to dig Britain out of its current mess.  Law and order, trust and discipline have to be restored at all levels of society, and that is going to be a Herculean task.   

You are so right Aileen
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: London riots « Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 09:39 PM »

You are so right Aileen
Trouble is, Katrina was a totally catastrophic disaster, so I can understand why the traumatised people reacted the way they did.  This was merely a reaction to the police shooting of a man they believed was a threat to them - and, of course, Britain being Britain where police aren't normally armed, it has, as isusual in these cases, provoke an outcry.  Fair enough, some people wanted to protest peacefully, but the whole thing rapidly degenerated into extreme violence.

What therefore concerns me is - how would those who advocate that sort of violence react to a situation similar, say, to that of Katrina or Fukushima?
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: London riots « Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 11:04 PM »

It's like the whole world has gone topsy turvy.Madness sheer madness
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: London riots « Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 11:47 PM »

I agree Dianne.  At one time such scenes of violence would have been associated with Middle Eastern or African countries - countries we arrogantly dismiss as being somewhat uncivilised, and condemn for their corrupt regimes and lack of democracy.  Now it's happening on our own doorstep.  I can't answer for America but the harsh truth is that complacent Britain has been sleep-walking towards this for years.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: London riots « Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 07:11 AM »

Capitalism relies on people being hoodwinked into thinking "stuff" makes you happy. If people suddenly can't have "stuff" they get angry. Also the media constantly push the extremely rich and their unsustainable life styles down our throats. You reap what you sow etc etc
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: London riots « Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 12:09 PM »

Capitalism relies on people being hoodwinked into thinking "stuff" makes you happy. If people suddenly can't have "stuff" they get angry. Also the media constantly push the extremely rich and their unsustainable life styles down our throats. You reap what you sow etc etc

Sorry but I refuse to believe that ALL these looters are doing this because of the 'rich government' As has been said somewhere in the news it's 'opportunistic theft' and shows individual greed and ability for violence and also how quickly people are willing to turn into brainless sheep and do what their peers are doing.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: London riots « Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 04:48 PM »

Thats true and it amazes me that people are not more angry at the waste and profligacy of the undeserving super rich. Instead they buy Hello and drool over them. That is because the masses are largely thick as mince and dont know any better.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: London riots « Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 06:28 PM »

Sorry but I refuse to believe that ALL these looters are doing this because of the 'rich government' As has been said somewhere in the news it's 'opportunistic theft' and shows individual greed and ability for violence and also how quickly people are willing to turn into brainless sheep and do what their peers are doing.

Ok how about hopelessness plus poverty plus discrimination = anger = rioting?
All over the news that the Government cuts are hurting young people. They're cutting employment schemes, youth clubs, facilities in poor area etc. As I said u reap what u sow.
Meanwhile bankers etc etc
quote author=MT link=topic=867.msg649805#msg649805 date=1312818497]
Thats true and it amazes me that people are not more angry at the waste and profligacy of the undeserving super rich. Instead they buy Hello and drool over them. That is because the masses are largely thick as mince and dont know any better.
[/quote]
Very simplistic MT. No Government wants an educated working class who might challenge the status quo. Heavens above, whatever next?. They used to send young men to war. Now they send them to prison.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: London riots « Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 08:32 PM »

Very true could not have said it better. All working class people are not thick as mince however. My kids are working class and the first to go to university in my family. They have worked very hard and have had a lot of dissappointment. It took my son over two years to get a descent job and not in his field
However its a job. I feel sorry for kid who have few qualifications and no prospects of getting a job.
I live in Fife there are very few jobs on the go. It must be soul destroying filling out application after application.  I do not support the rioting but can understand how young people feel. As you say cutting all employment schemes, youth clubs ect, Yes and the bonus culture in banks and big business need to be looked at. Fair bonuses for work well done but not the huge amounts being paid out whilst ordinary workers get pay cuts and no increases for the cost of living.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: London riots « Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 08:44 PM »

So remind me... all this rooted from someone being shot by police, some apparent innocent man that is carrying a gun on him... forgive me I'm hesitant with my sympathy there.

But in all seriousness, I think this is all related to the economy... people are using this to let out there anger.
[ Last edit by Mark August 08, 2011, 08:57 PM ] IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: London riots « Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 08:47 PM »

The dow took another plunge today and there are fires burning in london.
Yes people are very angry and resentful,but all this destrucion does little good.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: London riots « Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 08:56 PM »

Ok how about hopelessness plus poverty plus discrimination = anger = rioting?
All over the news that the Government cuts are hurting young people. They're cutting employment schemes, youth clubs, facilities in poor area etc. As I said u reap what u sow.
Meanwhile bankers etc etc
quote author=MT link=topic=867.msg649805#msg649805 date=1312818497]

Very simplistic MT. No Government wants an educated working class who might challenge the status quo. Heavens above, whatever next?. They used to send young men to war. Now they send them to prison.

Excuse me but young unemployed person here! Don't see me thinking that the correct response to that is to go and break into my local phone shop or off license to get back at the government! Rolling Eyes

Yes there is an element of the effects of the recession but what we've seen, especially last night and tonight across London and now Birmingham is teens and 'young adults' committing crime for the sake of it. Looting and burning out cars and buses only highlights their lack of respect for their communities and doesn't really get back at the government or the 'rich' if that was to be their aim. THe only people they are hurting here are the locals and local businesses.

IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: London riots « Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 08:58 PM »

Very true could not have said it better. All working class people are not thick as mince however. My kids are working class and the first to go to university in my family. They have worked very hard and have had a lot of dissappointment. It took my son over two years to get a descent job and not in his field
However its a job. I feel sorry for kid who have few qualifications and no prospects of getting a job.
I live in Fife there are very few jobs on the go. It must be soul destroying filling out application after application.  I do not support the rioting but can understand how young people feel. As you say cutting all employment schemes, youth clubs ect, Yes and the bonus culture in banks and big business need to be looked at. Fair bonuses for work well done but not the huge amounts being paid out whilst ordinary workers get pay cuts and no increases for the cost of living.

Again unemployed and screwed over by the government, filling in application after application-still don't see how this justifies these actions?? Also the reporters are saying some of these kids look to be young teens who still have a few years in school to go yet anyway.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: London riots « Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 09:25 PM »

Huge fire in Croydon.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: London riots « Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 10:13 PM »

Utter madness! I wonder what percentage of people doing the rioting don't know the reason for this "protesting" and are just kicking off for the hell of it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 21 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »