Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What do you think of Margaret Thatcher as a person?
Good. - 16 (41%)
Bad. - 23 (59%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 44 Go Down Reply
Author

Margaret Thatcher - good or bad?

(Read 14811 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #555 on: April 17, 2013, 02:14 PM »

I agree BBH I did not watch the funeral and I am glad about that. All that hot air about her made me feel sick.People forget what damage she did to this country in saying that I mean the North of England, Scotland and Wales. I am sure there will not be many crying about her death. To me all the money spent on the funeral is a farce our wonderful chancellor is cutting every thing in site and yet is happy to pay £10 million for all but a state funeral in name. Perhaps he will shed tears for all the people who are struggling to make ends meet.
Well this government, as have previous governments, have always been very good about spending the tax-payers money on useless things and you could even say the same about Princess Diana's funeral.  She may have done a lot of good works, but then so have many people.  Diana was, in effect, laterally really little more than a pseudo-royal ornament.

I did switch the TV on unthinkingly just in time to see the coffin being carried down the steps of St Pauls.  Whilst I didn't feel the emotion which such a sight would normally invoke, I did send thoughts of sympathy to the members of her family, especially to her granddaughter Amanda to whom she was apparently very close.  However we must be feeling we have to remember that they were her loved ones.  Bereavement can never be easy and they are the ones who are going to have cope with the grief of her loss in the weeks and months to come - long after the positive and negative feelings over her funeral have left national consciousness.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #556 on: April 17, 2013, 02:17 PM »

Perhaps,but she did tremendous damage to UK by making it a them and us society. In the end she was kicked out by her own party. She did not even see it coming it was time for her to go. She was a one woman party who did not listen to her colleges she was far to strident in her opinions. I for one was pleased to see her go.

I agree she was kicked out by certain elements within her own Tory party. These were such as strong supporters of EC and wanted UK into the European currency against her opposition. What a disaster that would have been! Mrs Thatcher was proven correct in her attitude.

Why have the Tories been out of power for some time? Because the Tory man in the street was disgusted at her treatment by her Cabinet and other colleagues.

Aileen, her one major error was the poll tax introduction into Scotland before the remainder of the UK. Unacceptable, I agree! Hence the Tory party was decimated in Scotland. There is another reason, but not for discussion in this forum.
[ Last edit by OldScotSupport April 17, 2013, 10:23 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #557 on: April 17, 2013, 02:31 PM »

I agree she was kicked out by certain elements within her own Tory party. These were such as strong supporters of EC and wanted UK into the European currency against her opposition. What a disaster that would have been! Mrs Thatcher was proven correct in her attitude.

Why have the Tories been out of power for some time? Becaude the Tory man in the street was disgusted by her treatment by her Cabinet and other colleagues.

Aileen, her one major error was the poll tax introduction into Scotland before the remainder of the UK. Unacceptable, I agree! Hence the Tory party was decimated in Scotland. There is another reason, but not for discussion in this forum.
The Poll Tax was a disgrace but we Scots just sat there and let her use us as guinea-pigs.  At least in England and Wales people did try to put up some resistance to it.  Thatcher though never learnt any lessons from history.  Had she done so she would have realised the poll taxes have been introduced before, each time resulting in failure to make the system work.  As of August 2012 the City of Edinburgh Council alone was left with £70m in unpaid poll tax and have now given up all attempts to try to claw this money back.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #558 on: April 17, 2013, 02:44 PM »

The Poll Tax was a disgrace but we Scots just sat there and let her use us as guinea-pigs.  At least in England and Wales people did try to put up some resistance to it.  Thatcher though never learnt any lessons from history.  Had she done so she would have realised the poll taxes have been introduced before, each time resulting in failure to make the system work.  As of August 2012 the City of Edinburgh Council alone was left with £70m in unpaid poll tax and have now given up all attempts to try to claw this money back.

Sadly, by the time she was elected for the third time in 1983, her mental strengths were starting to diminish, hence her failure to listen to advice about the dangers of introducing the poll tax.

Nevertheless, she was betrayed by her colleagues in particular with regards to EC, for which she has many times been found to be correct. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #559 on: April 17, 2013, 02:49 PM »

Sadly, by the time she was elected for the third time in 1983, her mental strengths were starting to diminish, hence her failure to listen to advice about the dangers of introducing the poll tax.

Nevertheless, she was betrayed by her colleagues in particular with regards to EC, for which she has many times been found to be correct. 
Yes I admit that she was right about that - probably the only thing apart from the Falklands where I felt she deserved any credit.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #560 on: April 17, 2013, 02:55 PM »

Yes I admit that she was right about that - probably the only thing apart from the Falklands where I felt she deserved any credit.

There were others including the death of communism, but we need to await the distance of history to objectively look at her total career - the good and the bad.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #561 on: April 17, 2013, 05:32 PM »

@ Aileen
The kids were sent to boarding school at 10. She openly favoured Mark, who moved to S. Africa. Carole had a v. difficult relationship apparently. Don't think there was much  love lost in that family.
BTW she got Mandela wrong too.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #562 on: April 17, 2013, 05:47 PM »

I like Carol Thatcher she is straight forward and down to earth. Her brother is a different kettle of fish, he has been involved in some dubious deals. I am sure he was involved in shady goings on in Africa and was involved in trying to overthrow some government there. He was lucky to get out of it and not end in prison.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #563 on: April 17, 2013, 07:32 PM »

@ Aileen
The kids were sent to boarding school at 10. She openly favoured Mark, who moved to S. Africa. Carole had a v. difficult relationship apparently. Don't think there was much  love lost in that family.
I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.  Anyway I was sent to boarding school at the age of 8, but that didn't mean my parents didn't care about me.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #564 on: April 17, 2013, 08:21 PM »

The poll tax was introduced in Scotland first as England was going through a revaluation at the time (Scotland's revaluation had already taken place).  It wasn't an anti Scottish move but the poll tax was a disaster for everyone and she just couldn't or wouldn't see it.  I dislike George Galloway but his speech in Parliament on Monday evening followed by Dennis Skinner (who spoke from the heart and for once was not on a rant) was the best I have heard in Parliament for quite some time.  It was good to hear the views of the majority of people in Scotland, South Wales and the north of England being put forward by them.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #565 on: April 17, 2013, 11:40 PM »

Rates - meant we paid double as some friends 3 streets away.
Poll tax - meant we paid the same as some friends 3 streets away.

The difference?  We lived in a small 3 bedroomed semi, backing on to a park. They lived in a 3 bedroomed terrace house, with basement, and they were overlooked.

dontknow
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #566 on: April 18, 2013, 12:01 AM »

Everyone knows how shabbily the miners were treated, but did the BBC's Scottish news really have to give so much prominence to the former mining village of Danderhall (near Edinburgh) where many of its inhabitants were having a good old booze up in a local pub openly rejoicing at Mrs Thatcher's death whilst her funeral was being held?  I can understand their bitterness but such blatant drunken gloating was a pretty distasteful and demeaning spectacle and one which would have been best passed by, if not in silence, then with the briefest of mentions.  At least the general news had the grace to do that with similar celebrations which were held in other parts of Scotland and the UK.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #567 on: April 18, 2013, 12:51 AM »

Everyone knows how shabbily the miners were treated, but did the BBC's Scottish news really have to give so much prominence to the former mining village of Danderhall (near Edinburgh) where many of its inhabitants were having a good old booze up in a local pub openly rejoicing at Mrs Thatcher's death whilst her funeral was being held?  I can understand their bitterness but such blatant drunken gloating was a pretty distasteful and demeaning spectacle and one which would have been best passed by, if not in silence, then with the briefest of mentions.  At least the general news had the grace to do that with similar celebrations which were held in other parts of Scotland and the UK.

It wasn't all drinking though.    There was a wreath laying ceremony as well.    Also it was a short mention compared to the time on TV yesterday for the glorification of Thatcher.    Perhaps if so much fuss had not been made over her funeral, and so much tax payer's money spent on it, there would have been no need for the Danderhall community to have their say.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #568 on: April 18, 2013, 12:56 AM »

Rates - meant we paid double as some friends 3 streets away.
Poll tax - meant we paid the same as some friends 3 streets away.

The difference?  We lived in a small 3 bedroomed semi, backing on to a park. They lived in a 3 bedroomed terrace house, with basement, and they were overlooked.

dontknow

I don't think anyone thought the old rates were all that fair.    But the poll tax was such a stupid tax in the amount of administration required in the collection of it.   We are now back to the value of your property and the amenity attached to it.   A lot of money was wasted to get us back to where we were.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #569 on: April 18, 2013, 01:25 AM »

It wasn't all drinking though.    There was a wreath laying ceremony as well.    Also it was a short mention compared to the time on TV yesterday for the glorification of Thatcher.    Perhaps if so much fuss had not been made over her funeral, and so much tax payer's money spent on it, there would have been no need for the Danderhall community to have their say.
Yes but the wreaths were laid in respect of the miners, not Mrs Thatcher.  I do agree though that the fuss generated by the funeral, plus the constant banging on about the expense of £10m, most probably went a long way to whipping up negative emotions.

I don't think anyone thought the old rates were all that fair.    But the poll tax was such a stupid tax in the amount of administration required in the collection of it.   We are now back to the value of your property and the amenity attached to it.   A lot of money was wasted to get us back to where we were.
The real problem with the poll tax was that each person paid the same amount regardless of their financial status, but then again it would only have added to the administrative costs had it been means tested, so it was really a no win situation.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 44 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »