Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Today, 12:00 Midnight BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What do you think of Margaret Thatcher as a person?
Good. - 16 (41%)
Bad. - 23 (59%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 44 Go Down Reply
Author

Margaret Thatcher - good or bad?

(Read 13530 times)
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « on: February 10, 2008, 07:17 PM »

And yours is disgusting and disrespecting to a person who served and shaped this country up.

I don't really like her from what she did to the trade unions and causing miners to go on strike.  Have you never seen Billy Elliot or Brassed Off?

Mod NoticeSplit posts from What's your avatar? and renamed topic.
[ Last edit by Mark February 11, 2008, 07:31 AM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 07:18 PM »

From the stories I've heard about her, she's an evil horrible person and there will be people celebrating her death.
[ Last edit by Mark February 10, 2008, 07:18 PM ] IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:23 PM »

From the stories I've heard about her, she's an evil horrible person and there will be people celebrating her death.

There will be street parties and everything Smile

But I wont be convinced she is really dead until I see her withered corpse dragged through every street in the land pray
[ Last edit by AL1874 February 10, 2008, 07:23 PM ] IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 07:41 PM »

I dunno, its one of the most controversial things around, whether she was good for this country or not. Its interesting, some say she saved the UK single-handedly, some say she absolutely wrecked the country! I think she's the person with the most debate about her ever, whether she was good or not. I would say the balance of opinion of experts lies in her favour, at least from what i've seen and heard, and the opinion of the lower income masses against her. I think the middle classes and the rich were very happy with her.
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 07:55 PM »

Like the Royals a very polarising subject, but having witnessed the destruction of this country’s manufacturing base and the destitution and poverty that resulted, I know what side of the line I stand.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 08:01 PM »

Another point I think i disagree with you about. We seem to be disagreeing quite a bit lately. Whistle
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 08:12 PM »

I come from Greenock and after the loss of the shipyards the town was devastated and has still not fully recovered to this day so it's population dwindled.  

Thatcher made Hitler look like an angel in comparison at least he lowered unemployment and got the trains to run on time.

[ Last edit by AL1874 February 10, 2008, 08:16 PM ] IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 08:21 PM »

I can't be bothered arguing about it, but I'll just say one point: i believe the industries in the UK were destroyed, but I don't think the economy could've held them up. Take for example the miners, it doesn't make sense that the government should make such a loss on the mines just to keep people employed. It might have had a short-term disadvantage, but in the long run, the manufactering industry would never have survived except with huge government support. This is especially true nowadays with the 3rd world economies providing such cheap labour. It made sense to convert the country to a more service based economy then it already was. Medicine always tastes bad.
IP Logged
netcord
Top Seed

Miles who?

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 08:27 PM »

Im with Al on Thazza......eeeeeeeeevil biatch! Tommy, you have no idea how despised that woman is up here. She unleashed the totally inequitous poll-tax on us first, did away with student grants, stopped paying teachers to take extra-curricular activities (eh, SPORTS!), sold the family silver (some Great British institutions), cozied up to fellow evil dictators (Pinochet, Amin for starters) and turned us into greedy people only interested in the price of things, not the value.....do you want me to go on?
I wish her only badness
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 08:31 PM »

I can't be bothered arguing about it, but I'll just say one point: i believe the industries in the UK were destroyed, but I don't think the economy could've held them up. Take for example the miners, it doesn't make sense that the government should make such a loss on the mines just to keep people employed. It might have had a short-term disadvantage, but in the long run, the manufactering industry would never have survived except with huge government support. This is especially true nowadays with the 3rd world economies providing such cheap labour. It made sense to convert the country to a more service based economy then it already was. Medicine always tastes bad.

Obviously you and yours never had to taste the medicine.

As utility bills sky rocket with the profits destined for foreign shores or the next over inflation rise in rail tickets kicks in we can sit back and thank Thatcher for selling off the family silver.

[ Last edit by AL1874 February 10, 2008, 08:33 PM ] IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 08:39 PM »

You're right, me and mine never had to taste the medicine. But, I still believe the economy would be a lot worse off if she hadn't sold off the public companies. This is capitalism... a lot of disadvantages, but the gains outweigh them
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 08:51 PM »

And as pensioners struggle to pay winter fuel bills and they have their water meters installed they can sleep easy in there beds knowing that it is for the good of the Country.

It makes you proud to be British.

[ Last edit by AL1874 February 10, 2008, 08:52 PM ] IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 09:04 PM »

No, I didn't mean that. When i say that it was needed for capitalism, I meant that the country is riches for it, which means that the scenario you say is less often true then it would have been if not for capitalism. Or at least could be if the government spend the money they have wisely - i'm not saying they don't, I personally don't know.
IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 09:38 PM »

Its a fact..Liberals hate her. Union lovers hate her.

Well too bad for you.

She was not an evil horrible person. She was tough and worked hard for the country. She put us on the defense, gave us a 1980s economic boom, and fought for the pound. She also lowered taxes, the thing Liberals hate the most for some reason.
[ Last edit by Tommy February 10, 2008, 09:40 PM ] IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 09:54 PM »

Inflation running at 20%, 3.6 million unemployed and friend to the Dictators of the world.

Yes the eighties were fun for us old enough to remember them.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 44 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »