Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What do you think of Margaret Thatcher as a person?
Good. - 16 (41%)
Bad. - 23 (59%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 44 Go Down Reply
Author

Margaret Thatcher - good or bad?

(Read 13895 times)
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 10:02 PM »

By 1982 she had inflation at 8%. By 89 it was 4%.

3.6million claimed unemployment benefits. Unemplyment never got above 3 million.
Did she get it down? No, but nor had any of The Labour govs before her.
Did it go up? Yes, but it was bound to with the world recession.

Friend to the dictators of the world? You have to be joking. She took part in the end of the cold war, freed the Falkland Islands, and supported the enbargos on apartheid SA.

My biggest point here is inflation.
IP Logged
rafa
Grand Slam Champion

We have unlimited juice?This party is off the hook

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 10:50 PM »

Tommy, I wouldn't go around boasting your love for the evil **** around Ireland, she was despised for what she did concerning the North.
They plotted several times to kill her, it's a pity they failed....
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 10:57 PM »

Wouldn't have got them much further though...
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 10:58 PM »

One is the most Evil Creature ever to have set foot on God’s earth, and the other is Chilean Dictator Augusto Pinochet.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 11:00 PM »

Really? You think she's worse than -say- Stalin? Pol Pot? Fred West?
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 11:01 PM »

Yep
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 11:02 PM »

How so?
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 11:05 PM »

All had some redeeming qualities.

Stalin- Time Magazines man of the year

Pol Pot- Services to agriculture.

Fred West – Cracking monoblock drives.

As for Thatch nothing I can think of really.
[ Last edit by AL1874 February 11, 2008, 08:31 AM ] IP Logged
rafa
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 11:36 PM »

Wouldn't have got them much further though...

In all fairness, it's one thing to study it Laura and it's a completely different thing to have to live through the repercussions of it!
A lot of things wouldn't have got them much further, but the deaths of two people would have been much appreciated..... Paisley and Thatcher.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 11:42 PM »

In all fairness, it's one thing to study it Laura and it's a completely different thing to have to live through the repercussions of it!
A lot of things wouldn't have got them much further, but the deaths of two people would have been much appreciated..... Paisley and Thatcher.

On one side only surely....

IP Logged
rafa
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 11:45 PM »

Clearly lol
I meant appreciated by me!

I will hold parties the moment they perish!!
IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 11:49 PM »

I know what she did in the North Cate. She tried to make peace.

She was defiant is the face of Irish terror. I admire her greatly for what she did.
Peace..thats all that matters in the end.

And saying Margaret Thatcher is similar to the mass murderers of the world is barbaric and just a loony liberal statement.
IP Logged
rafa
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 12:00 AM »

She was not concerned with peace.....she pissed off both sides; by her reluctant attitude to the hunger strikers and equal rights for the republican community, and by her signing the Anglo Irish Agreement which received severe opposition from the unionists (reportedly signing it against her own better judgment, because she didn't want to waste money on border security and wanted the republic to foot the bill). 
She was also sceptical of the "Peace process" and critical of the "Good Friday Agreement" during Tony Blair's ministerial reign.
She continually voiced her personal commitment to the Union and support for the Unionists - she should have stayed objective in her position of power.
[ Last edit by rafa February 11, 2008, 12:00 AM ] IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 12:07 AM »

She ignored the hunger strikers! Good! Just what I would of done. You dont give in to idiots like that.

The Anglo Irish Agreement was hated by nationalists. But she knew it was right. Thats what I believe. I also believe she did not want to sign it...but she did.
You say she hesitant with equal rights for republicans? Well...no matter what was in her head she did give them equality by signing the Anglo Irish Agreement.

As for the Good Friday Agreement, I have no idea.
IP Logged
rafa
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 12:12 AM »

She ignored the hunger strikers! Good! Just what I would of done. You dont give in to idiots like that.

The Anglo Irish Agreement was hated by nationalists. But she knew it was right. Thats what I believe. I also believe she did not want to sign it...but she did.
You say she hesitant with equal rights for republicans? Well...no matter what was in her head she did give them equality by signing the Anglo Irish Agreement.

As for the Good Friday Agreement, I have no idea.

No it didn't, the AIA gave the South's government limited say in political matters, but Northern Republicans were still not equal to unionists in any stretch of the imagination.

Do you know the difference between unionists and nationalists by the way?!

Here's some advice Tommy, take a trip up to Belfast and say out loud what you think about the hunger strikers - you may get a new set of wheels out of it ...
[ Last edit by rafa February 11, 2008, 12:12 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 44 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »