Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What do you think of Margaret Thatcher as a person?
Good. - 16 (41%)
Bad. - 23 (59%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 44 Go Down Reply
Author

Margaret Thatcher - good or bad?

(Read 14015 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #120 on: April 08, 2013, 10:15 PM »

Can I just say Jeffery Lowe's resignation speech was bloody genius! He just shot her point blanc in the back on that one. Judging by the documentary I withdraw what I said about her helping this country. She was a bloody parasite.

A parasite that boosted the GDP of the UK by 23% in her tenure?

It really troubles me that people in this country believe that, were it not for Thatcher, we would still have a thriving mining industry in this country.

There are more abundant natural resources and cheaper labour overseas. The British mining industry was on its arse. Thatcher curbed throwing good money after bad on mining, and correctly chose free market economics and expanding the City.

And as the above poster said, a hugely influential PM. Labour had to completely revamp the the vast majority of its ideology/philosophy after her stint. Now we have New Labour, which is a very limp wristed party.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #121 on: April 08, 2013, 10:16 PM »

They await your return. Bagpipes

Yeah hurry up Linda come back!!!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #122 on: April 08, 2013, 10:16 PM »

I'm in the North of England. I thought she was great. She shut down mines and uneconomic manufacturing. If you didn't like it, you got on your bike. I did. I moved to London when I was 23, which was the last thing I wanted.

THE WORLD DOESN'T OWE YOU A LIVING.

Very Happy

It really troubles me that people in this country believe that, were it not for Thatcher, we would still have a thriving mining industry in this country.

There are more abundant natural resources and cheaper labour overseas. The British mining industry was on its arse. Thatcher curbed throwing good money after bad on mining, and correctly chose free market economics and expanding the City.

Would agree with you there.  And this is from someone that also lived in the north, from a mining village actually, married to a son of a miner (though from a different mining village), and never ever voted for Maggie Thatcher.
[ Last edit by Bevc April 08, 2013, 10:28 PM ] IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #123 on: April 08, 2013, 10:33 PM »

You mean England spoke FCR. She was despised in the North of England and Scotland or do we not count.

You know that a lot of people in England disliked her too, right? And that about 17% of the Scottish electorate voted Tory in the last general election? I was too young to really experience Thatcher, but no doubt I would have disliked her. Your constant 'us clever Scots' line really does grate though. Scotland this, Scotland that, us Scots, the English...
[ Last edit by Joe April 08, 2013, 10:38 PM ] IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #124 on: April 08, 2013, 10:40 PM »

A parasite that boosted the GDP of the UK by 23% in her tenure?

And as the above poster said, a hugely influential PM. Labour had to completely revamp the the vast majority of its ideology/philosophy after her stint. Now we have New Labour, which is a very limp wristed party.

You're a right little right-winger these days, aren't you Andrew? wink

Good to see the return of Nasty Nigel too! wink   Looking back over this thread, I'd forgotten a lot of the political views of members!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #125 on: April 08, 2013, 10:42 PM »

Absolutely not.

I'm socially very liberal. Economically though, I probably do tend to be conservative.

I voted Green at the last GE.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #126 on: April 08, 2013, 10:44 PM »

Our country would be better if we controlled it as a countrywide party. Then again we aren't exactly experts.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #127 on: April 08, 2013, 10:53 PM »

Absolutely not.

I'm socially very liberal. Economically though, I probably do tend to be conservative.

I voted Green at the last GE.

Good boy.

Interesting editorial in the Grauniad:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-editorial
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #128 on: April 08, 2013, 11:11 PM »

Spot the typo.

IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #129 on: April 08, 2013, 11:13 PM »

Spot the typo.

Strike! It appears the IRA got there before the pesky stroke.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #130 on: April 08, 2013, 11:36 PM »

I tend to not care about what Thatcher did to the UK but what she boasted on the worldwide stage. Neoliberalization through the IMF/IBRD for countries who were not yet ready or capable of trade liberalization at the time. The UK/US etc has always been highly hypocritical in that regard since they imposed strict mercantilist policies to build their industries before opening up a global market. Of course, we cannot allow developing countries to do that. Thatcher, Reagan, etc sought to exploit developing countries under the guise of helping them, which is something I cannot stand.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #131 on: April 08, 2013, 11:55 PM »

In quotes: Margaret Thatcher

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-10377842

"I want my money back!" At the European Union summit in Dublin, 1980

"We have not successfully rolled back the frontiers of the state in Britain only to see them re-imposed at a European level, with a European superstate exercising a new dominance from Brussels." 1988

"No! No! No!" House of Commons 20 October 1990, the climax of an anti-European outburst that moved Geoffrey Howe to quit as deputy prime minister and deliver the resignation speech calling for her to be challenged for her job

---------------------

I won't pretend to know as much about Thatcher as a lot of posters - a PM way before my time.  I grew up in Motherwell - the home of Ravenscraig steelworks - and I know she was not a popular PM in my town or country. I was reading a few of her most famous quotes today. Her quotes on europe stood out. I'm not sure Cameron or any PM since Thatcher has commanded the respect of world leaders the way she did. A work colleague said today that like her or loath her she was not a PM to be ignored. As far as he was concerned many politicians today would not be fit to carry her handbag.
[ Last edit by IonaRed April 09, 2013, 02:39 AM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #132 on: April 09, 2013, 06:27 AM »

Who is Margaret Thatcher?
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #133 on: April 09, 2013, 07:04 AM »

Your constant 'us clever Scots' line really does grate though. Scotland this, Scotland that, us Scots, the English...
roflmao......just chill Joe.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #134 on: April 09, 2013, 07:07 AM »

Unemployment 2million when she came to power, 6 million when she left, according to radio this a.m
No, no-one thinks we'd have a viable mining industry now, but she cut like a knife through mining communities leaving a trail of bloody desolation behind.
She could've invested the revenue from the oil industry in the creation of other work/the infrastructure etc but instead gave it away in tax rebates.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 44 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »