Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What do you think of Margaret Thatcher as a person?
Good. - 16 (41%)
Bad. - 23 (59%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 44 Go Down Reply
Author

Margaret Thatcher - good or bad?

(Read 13166 times)
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #135 on: April 09, 2013, 07:26 AM »

Who is Margaret Thatcher?
Discounting sarcasm, which I like Sabine.....I take your weren't educated in the history of British Governance over the years......probably would be classed non p.c. nowadays .
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #136 on: April 09, 2013, 08:07 AM »

Yes, it's excellent. Also really good article on not eulogising the dead.
Want to leave the country when the bloody funeral's on.
8 million apparently available for a funeral, whilst all around us cuts, cuts, cuts.  Tories always look after their own.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #137 on: April 09, 2013, 10:30 AM »

You wouldn't see the Right behaving like this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2306165/Margaret-Thatcher-death-parties-The-Lefts-sick-celebration-Brixtons-streets.html

No class. Lefties can be the most self-righteous, spiteful folk in the world. Let's be honest, a good proportion of them are unemployable skanks - that's why, back in the 80s, they needed to be propped up by unions and non-jobs in defunct industries.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #138 on: April 09, 2013, 10:33 AM »

It is sad to see the passing of an era but during her time as PM we all knew who ruled the country and in each of the 3 elections she faced she received huge majorities The "boys" in Parliament just hated to see a woman in power.
  Despite everything she did,whether one approved or not, one has to admire the style of her departure, using the Ritz Hotel as a nursing home
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #139 on: April 09, 2013, 10:39 AM »

In quotes: Margaret Thatcher

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-10377842

"I want my money back!" At the European Union summit in Dublin, 1980

"We have not successfully rolled back the frontiers of the state in Britain only to see them re-imposed at a European level, with a European superstate exercising a new dominance from Brussels." 1988

"No! No! No!" House of Commons 20 October 1990, the climax of an anti-European outburst that moved Geoffrey Howe to quit as deputy prime minister and deliver the resignation speech calling for her to be challenged for her job

---------------------

I won't pretend to know as much about Thatcher as a lot of posters - a PM way before my time.  I grew up in Motherwell - the home of Ravenscraig steelworks - and I know she was not a popular PM in my town or country. I was reading a few of her most famous quotes today. Her quotes on europe stood out. I'm not sure Cameron or any PM since Thatcher has commanded the respect of world leaders the way she did. A work colleague said today that like her or loath her she was not a PM to be ignored. As far as he was concerned many politicians today would not be fit to carry her handbag.

"Not a PM to be ignored" is not necessarily a desirable trait.    She ranted and got away with it because she was a woman.     Hitler ranted and was not ignored.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #140 on: April 09, 2013, 10:40 AM »

Unemployment 2million when she came to power, 6 million when she left, according to radio this a.m
No, no-one thinks we'd have a viable mining industry now, but she cut like a knife through mining communities leaving a trail of bloody desolation behind.
She could've invested the revenue from the oil industry in the creation of other work/the infrastructure etc but instead gave it away in tax rebates.

Unemployment topped 3 million in 1982, before the miners strike and before most of the pit closures.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #141 on: April 09, 2013, 10:52 AM »

Bev, do you remember what Britain was like in the 70s? Strikes, state-run industries that were going bust, picket lines, industry run by unions who could do what the hell they wanted, inflation at 30 per cent...
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #142 on: April 09, 2013, 11:22 AM »

Bev, do you remember what Britain was like in the 70s? Strikes, state-run industries that were going bust, picket lines, industry run by unions who could do what the hell they wanted, inflation at 30 per cent...

I don't remember lots, just a tad younger than you. I do remember the forced power cuts whilst the miners held the country ransom for a higher pay increase.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #143 on: April 09, 2013, 11:26 AM »

The free-market policies that Thatcher promoted have been adopted by both labour and tory governments since. How's that working out ?
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #144 on: April 09, 2013, 11:29 AM »

Unfortunate for Maggie Thatcher she had a financial disaster handed to her when she became PM.  We were the 'poor man of Europe' and being laughed at by other countries.  She was fiercely patriotic and this drove her to do what she did.  She. as many before her, did make some mistakes but everything was done for Britain.  Industry was killing itself with strikes etc.  I worked for an airline at that time and they all went out.  When asked why some of them could not even tell me.  When I told them it was because someone had been stealing from them personally and had been sacked they would not believe me.  The unions had such a stranglehold over their members.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #145 on: April 09, 2013, 11:31 AM »

Even the gravediggers were on strike in Liverpool. They were talking about burying the bodies at sea.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #146 on: April 09, 2013, 11:31 AM »

The free-market policies that Thatcher promoted have been adopted by both labour and tory governments since. How's that working out ?

Better than industries run by a bunch of commies.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #147 on: April 09, 2013, 11:33 AM »

Is it - How ?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #148 on: April 09, 2013, 11:39 AM »

The state-run industries of the 70s were subsidised with money the country didn't have and rendered even more unprofitable by equally subsidised unions. You think that was good?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #149 on: April 09, 2013, 11:42 AM »

Whatever you may think of Thatcher the comment above is appallingly crass, and offensive beyond belief. Thatcher may have done many things that people disagree with. What she did not do was systematically set out to eradicate a complete race by throwing them into gas chambers. I am not Jewish by the way. I am however disabled another group who were targeted by Adolph Hitler. I would appreciate it if you would retract your statement, and rewrite it using a less contentious analogy.

Thanks for this Masaka, you beat me to it. I'm all for people expressing a view, but when they have to be crass and offensive to make a point they invalidate their whole argument.

I'm not quite old enough to really have much of an opinion of Thatcher's politics. My brother would argue, and might have a case for it, that she ruined industry and manufacturing in the country. Others could argue that she 'saved' the country from the mess it was in in the 70s. I'm not old enough to really know either way, although I do remember (just) the miner's strike, the introduction of the poll tax and the protests towards it, etc.

I do feel for her family. She was a mother, grandmother, etc. I know from personal experience what losing a parent is like, so I do feel sympathy for their loss.

That said, why, in all honesty, does she need a big elaborate funeral? It isn't going to be a State funeral, but it won't look much different to all intents and purposes. No prizes for guessing who will be paying for that, and it won't be her family. The fact is that Mrs Thatcher wasn't a Royal, and she had been out of office for years. Surely a big public funeral at St. Paul's is a wee bit over the top.

I don't mean to sound mean-spirited, but seriously, the country is up to its eye-balls in a deficit caused by the banks and politicians. Decent law-abiding citizens are losing money and being made to feel like scroungers due to a minority who don't want to get off their backsides, and yet money can be found for a big funeral for someone who probably caused more division than any other political leader Britain has ever had. Frankly if Cameron and the like want a big public affair, where they can sit for hours and crawl up each other's backsides, let them pay for it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 44 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »