Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What do you think of Margaret Thatcher as a person?
Good. - 16 (41%)
Bad. - 23 (59%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 44 Go Down Reply
Author

Margaret Thatcher - good or bad?

(Read 12947 times)
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #225 on: April 09, 2013, 04:54 PM »

She was all that I am sure but still not an out and out killer. The only Jewish person Hitler ever let go was the doctor who saved his mother's life, but other than that, he showed no mercy to any other Jewish.

Joseph Stalin was of course just as much evil though couldn’t do as much damages as Hitler. Hitler left a permanent and deep scar in human condition. 

I doubt if we know the true compass of Stalin's evil.    I do know millions of Ukranians starved to death in the thirties and it was a deliberate policy.     Does anyone know how far Thatcher would have gone in pursuit of her goals?   She ordered the sinking of the Belgrano during the Falklands war - that was ruthless and unnecessary.    The ship was moving away from the exclusion zone at the time.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #226 on: April 09, 2013, 04:55 PM »

No he said he was like Tony Soprano and so I found a GIF of him, and you will notice Tony is slightly nodding, therefore I used him to agree with Joe's post.

Oh, I know that. Was just exaggerating to dramatize the situation. lol

I must admit - I have not watched even 1 single episode of the Sopranos. Can't say I missed anything.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #227 on: April 09, 2013, 05:04 PM »

The critics are correct - Thatcher continues to sow divisions, even in death! Smile
You got that right, Joe.

Here's one of my favourite quotes from the Iron(ic) Lady:

"Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope." May 4, 1979, after becoming PM
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #228 on: April 09, 2013, 05:07 PM »

You got that right, Joe.

"Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope." May 4, 1979, after becoming PM
Great sentiments - but the reality was not up there.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #229 on: April 09, 2013, 05:11 PM »

I doubt if we know the true compass of Stalin's evil.    I do know millions of Ukranians starved to death in the thirties and it was a deliberate policy.     Does anyone know how far Thatcher would have gone in pursuit of her goals?   She ordered the sinking of the Belgrano during the Falklands war - that was ruthless and unnecessary.    The ship was moving away from the exclusion zone at the time.

I guess what separates Stalin from Hitler is that, the latter took things to completely another level with this mindless killing. It’s not only the Jewish, he had no sympathy for the poor, crippled, homosexuals etc. and wanted to establish a new world, where only a certain criteria would exist. I don’t think Stalin had something so radical and extensive in his original script. He’s the lesser evil IMO.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #230 on: April 09, 2013, 05:19 PM »

I remember the dreadful day when she stood outside No. 10 and said that St. Francis prayer in a voice dripping with insincerity.    I saw it again on the news yesterday and it just brought back  the same sick feeling although at the time we didn't know how bad things would become.

IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #231 on: April 09, 2013, 05:29 PM »

I guess what separates Stalin from Hitler is that, the latter took things to completely another level with this mindless killing. It’s not only the Jewish, he had no sympathy for the poor, crippled, homosexuals etc. and wanted to establish a new world, where only a certain criteria would exist. I don’t think Stalin had something so radical and extensive in his original script. He’s the lesser evil IMO.

I've no idea how many people Stalin killed in pursuit of his own beliefs but to me the evil lies in the fact that each of them would have killed whoever was in his way.     Who and how many was almost incidental - it was whoever needed to be killed - so I rate them as pretty equal.     The numbers could well be just as many for Stalin given that his reign was much longer.   Hitler was at least stopped in 1945 but Stalin was allowed to come quite deep into Europe at the end of the war - much against Churchill's advice - and the killing went on.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #232 on: April 09, 2013, 05:35 PM »

I remember the dreadful day when she stood outside No. 10 and said that St. Francis prayer in a voice dripping with insincerity.    I saw it again on the news yesterday and it just brought back  the same sick feeling although at the time we didn't know how bad things would become.

and yet... she was re-elected three times.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #233 on: April 09, 2013, 05:38 PM »

I've no idea how many people Stalin killed in pursuit of his own beliefs but to me the evil lies in the fact that each of them would have killed whoever was in his way.     Who and how many was almost incidental - it was whoever needed to be killed - so I rate them as pretty equal.     The numbers could well be just as many for Stalin given that his reign was much longer.   Hitler was at least stopped in 1945 but Stalin was allowed to come quite deep into Europe at the end of the war - much against Churchill's advice - and the killing went on.
Can you actually imagine being a Soldier - can you actually imagine killing a person? Can you imagine killing a person because they didn't think like you or have the same faith?  Truly horrific - but it happened - and still the war of the faiths continues.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #234 on: April 09, 2013, 05:52 PM »

Oh, I know that. Was just exaggerating to dramatize the situation. lol

I must admit - I have not watched even 1 single episode of the Sopranos. Can't say I missed anything.

How do you know if you've never watched it?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #235 on: April 09, 2013, 05:57 PM »

Do not under estimate the power of menopausal women - I totally think she was off her nut!
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #236 on: April 09, 2013, 06:00 PM »

Irrelevant.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #237 on: April 09, 2013, 06:03 PM »

Do not under estimate the power of menopausal women - I totally think she was off her nut!

Not just the women though.    Have you read David Owen's The Hubris Syndrome?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #238 on: April 09, 2013, 06:07 PM »

^ No, - what's it about?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #239 on: April 09, 2013, 06:12 PM »

How do you know if you've never watched it?

I've seen the guy many times in the past but mainly in award shows. I think that it received many awards so that's how I know that he was the lead character of that show.

But it's true that I don't know if you actually look like him. Do you?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 44 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »