Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What do you think of Margaret Thatcher as a person?
Good. - 16 (41%)
Bad. - 23 (59%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 44 Go Down Reply
Author

Margaret Thatcher - good or bad?

(Read 13511 times)
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #270 on: April 09, 2013, 09:33 PM »

Not sure about that - perhaps to have them pinching a bit may do some good! Smile
Will not buy shoes that break the law. no
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #271 on: April 09, 2013, 09:35 PM »

Will not buy shoes that break the law. no
hug  Time for my drugs...After which I'm not responsible for what I post...
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #272 on: April 09, 2013, 09:35 PM »

^^ such a childish comment........it'll save someone a post.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #273 on: April 09, 2013, 09:44 PM »

Do you think I'm missing some sort of irony, or something?

Aren't you? By all means set me straight if I've misinterpreted your endorsement of that article. Was it purely for its comedic value or do you think it made a valid point?
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #274 on: April 09, 2013, 09:49 PM »

Aren't you? By all means set me straight if I've misinterpreted your endorsement of that article. Was it purely for its comedic value or do you think it made a valid point?

From my timeline and Facebook news feed yesterday, it was a pretty valid and accurate parody of my generation. So a bit of both.

Like most Mash articles, it's light hearted, and I fear you're probably reading into it too much.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #275 on: April 09, 2013, 09:55 PM »

From my timeline and Facebook news feed yesterday, it was a pretty valid and accurate parody of my generation. So a bit of both.

I don't doubt that there are many of that generation who don't understand the issues. I would probably count myself amongst them, since I've never been particularly interested in economic theory beyond the broad strokes of collectivism and individualism (which I'd argue are closer to social theories).

However, I think it's a bit of a crude generalisation to say that no one under the age of 35 understands Thatcherism.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #276 on: April 09, 2013, 09:56 PM »

Like most Mash articles, it's light hearted, and I fear you're probably reading into it too much.

Fair enough. Familiar with The Onion, but not Mash.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #277 on: April 10, 2013, 12:38 AM »

Just like to point out that Thatcher (the community-wrecker) offered the NUM the chance to buy the mines. They turned down the offer. Too uneconomical.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #278 on: April 10, 2013, 01:01 AM »

Just like to point out that Thatcher (the community-wrecker) offered the NUM the chance to buy the mines. They turned down the offer. Too uneconomical.

Scargill turned it down? Didn't know about that. What happened?

In Canadian news, Stephen Harper (that would be our world-famous PM) will be attending the funeral. I'm unsure if this is at UK tax-payers cost (because I think he's been 'invited') or my tax dollars.

He will be on the next available flight, but has been unavailable to meet with First Nation aboriginal chiefs here who are currently on hunger strike in the hope of getting his attention toward aboriginal rights.

Please roll out the red carpet for him.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #279 on: April 10, 2013, 08:30 AM »

Well if he were to ignore hunger strikers to attend someone's funeral, it would have to be Maggie Thatcher's surely?
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #280 on: April 10, 2013, 09:39 AM »

I don't doubt that there are many of that generation who don't understand the issues. I would probably count myself amongst them, since I've never been particularly interested in economic theory beyond the broad strokes of collectivism and individualism (which I'd argue are closer to social theories).

However, I think it's a bit of a crude generalisation to say that no one under the age of 35 understands Thatcherism.
I doubt they sat glued to their TVs in 1982 fearing the next report on the Falklands Conflict.  It was awful and a taste of what war involving the UK was really like.  Well done Maggie T.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #281 on: April 10, 2013, 09:41 AM »

I must say, good on her for having the balls to take the Falklands back. I can't believe she had so much resistance on the matter.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #282 on: April 10, 2013, 10:50 AM »

And what exactly was wrong with the Poll Tax? Even the Mail describes it as a 'shambles' today. But why should how much you pay to the council depend on the size of your house? If you lived in a mansion, your bins weren't emptied any more often and the fire brigade didn't get out to you any quicker. It was the fairest tax yet.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #283 on: April 10, 2013, 10:57 AM »

And what exactly was wrong with the Poll Tax? Even the Mail describes it as a 'shambles' today. But why should how much you pay to the council depend on the size of your house? If you lived in a mansion, your bins weren't emptied any more often and the fire brigade didn't get out to you any quicker. It was the fairest tax yet.

Nigel Graber - more extreme than The Mail. lol
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #284 on: April 10, 2013, 11:14 AM »

Nigel Graber - more extreme than The Mail. lol

I don't see the lack of logic in my argument.

Poll Tax = flat rate of tax regardless of house size
Today's Council Tax = rate varies according to house size/area

Yet both are just local taxes that you pay to get council services. And you get the same standard of service regardless of the size of your house. In fact, if you live in a council house or back-to-back terrace, you probably use those services much more when you call out the fire brigade to your chip-pan fires and the police to break up your Staffy fights.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 44 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »