Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What do you think of Margaret Thatcher as a person?
Good. - 16 (41%)
Bad. - 23 (59%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 44 Go Down Reply
Author

Margaret Thatcher - good or bad?

(Read 14602 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #360 on: April 11, 2013, 12:12 AM »

The same reason why some high street retailers have fallen by the wayside too - outgoings exceeded incomings. Think

IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #361 on: April 11, 2013, 07:29 AM »

And here's the crux of the debate. Profit,profit,profit - the mantra of the right. And where do most of the profits go ? Into the pockets of people who are long past needing it.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #362 on: April 11, 2013, 08:10 AM »

Unless you are a NPO, isn't that the point, to make some kind of profit. Costs very rarely go down. Woolworth's downfall can, in some part, be linked to the excessive rent they had to pay for their stores. With an annual rate increase of at least 2.5% meant they had to increase profits by 4% to cover that alone, apparently.

IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #363 on: April 11, 2013, 12:32 PM »

Much of what I've read in the last few days suggests that she was utterly cold-hearted and uncaring towards the ordinary lives she affected with her decisions. This seems to explain some of the animosity toward her.
On the occasions that my vet confirmed that my dogs needed to be put to sleep he remained calm whilst I blubbed.  I know he cares, but he has to remain professional and not show emotions.  On the other hand, my homoeopathic vet always got to see animals on their last legs when all else had failed.  She soaked up the owners' emotions and in the end she had to retire because she couldn't cope.  Certain things have to be done and it takes a certain type of person to see it through.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #364 on: April 11, 2013, 12:38 PM »

But they weren't viable industries! They were producing low-grade steel, the mines had no seams, the cars were crap, the shipyards were losing money. Businesses, whether run by the state or private concerns, don't exist for the benefit of the employees. They exist to produce quality products and/or services that turn a profit. This, to me, is what the Left can't get its head around.

Ravenscraig (I don't know about the others) produced steel of the highest quality.    Some mines were running out of "easier" seams, much like the oil industry now.   The cars were crap.    The shipyards needed to change.   I still say we needed someone with intelligence to sort things out.    Instead we got Thatcher.    She didn't seem to mind subsidising the farming industry.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #365 on: April 11, 2013, 01:54 PM »

Has anyone read Russell Brand's article in The Guardian? It's quite astonishing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/09/russell-brand-margaret-thatcher
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #366 on: April 11, 2013, 02:08 PM »

I watched a programme on BBC Scotland last night at 10.30pm. It was about Margaret Thatcher and why so many Scots could not take to her. Primarily she did not understand that Scots had a deeper sense of community and she was regarded as looking after ones self as she said. It showed he making a speech at  the Mound in Edinburgh were she talked of "one and we" like she was royalty lording over us. It also said that as Scots had not voted for the conservatives they did not like them lording over Scotland when they had not been elected in Scotland. Our values are different from I would say the South of England. She could not understand why we did not vote for the conservatives. She was totally ignorant of Scots values and that was a big problem that is why Scots are going to vote for independence. Also because all the closures of the mines,shipbuilding, and steel plants were closed without taking into account what would happen to those communities. She was ruthless and did not care were those people were going to get work.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #367 on: April 11, 2013, 02:47 PM »

The national industries of the seventies lacked investment to modernise, this was as a result of various factors such as the oil crisis in 1974 causing rising costs throughout the seventies resulting in the economic meltdown.  It was not just the fault of the Unions but the build up of ecenomic probelms from that period resulting in Tatcher coming to power in 1979.  Her mantra was private good, public services bad.  She wanted London to be the financial capital of the world and manaufacturing industry was not what was wanted.  The past few years have been an example of that policy not working and it is the individuals in society paying the price of it again as they did in the 80's,  On a personal note, I worked for one of the public services which had to go out to tender and for a year the uncertainty and despair at times was unremitting.  Fortunately we were able to keep the service inhouse but at the time I really felt for those who were out of work because of her policies and continue to do so for a society who continue to suffer because of the same policies being driven by the 'son of thatcher'.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #368 on: April 11, 2013, 03:17 PM »

Has anyone read Russell Brand's article in The Guardian? It's quite astonishing.

I read that yesterday - it's odd, when I can't see or hear Russell Brand I quite like him, he's a talented writer.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #369 on: April 11, 2013, 03:18 PM »

I watched a programme on BBC Scotland last night at 10.30pm. It was about Margaret Thatcher and why so many Scots could not take to her. Primarily she did not understand that Scots had a deeper sense of community and she was regarded as looking after ones self as she said. It showed he making a speech at  the Mound in Edinburgh were she talked of "one and we" like she was royalty lording over us. It also said that as Scots had not voted for the conservatives they did not like them lording over Scotland when they had not been elected in Scotland. Our values are different from I would say the South of England. She could not understand why we did not vote for the conservatives. She was totally ignorant of Scots values and that was a big problem that is why Scots are going to vote for independence. Also because all the closures of the mines,shipbuilding, and steel plants were closed without taking into account what would happen to those communities. She was ruthless and did not care were those people were going to get work.

Do you think everyone in the South of England is a Tory? Talk about insular. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #370 on: April 11, 2013, 03:54 PM »

No I don not I was just referring what was said on the programme how she came across. There must have been a lot who were or she would not have been elected. I am not insular I have lived abroad and met many different nationalities and have gotten on well with them. Lets face it when she was in power many of the public utilities were sold of and people became greedy and to hell with the rest of us. That is what I am trying to explain. Those who had money invested and made money for themselves and could not care less about the well off.One example being the film with Michael Douglas saying "Greed is Good" I think that is what I am trying to say people having sense of having any morals and only caring about themselves.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #371 on: April 11, 2013, 04:32 PM »

Astonishingly good writing. Shame I can't stand him.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #372 on: April 12, 2013, 07:26 AM »

I just wondered if anyone on here owns their own , or has someone close to them who does, thanks to Maggie Thatcher!
IP Logged
mina

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #373 on: April 12, 2013, 07:29 AM »

so sorry to hear that , i think she is good
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #374 on: April 12, 2013, 07:52 AM »

Hello Mina! I don't think we've met, so welcome to MW!  Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 44 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »