Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What do you think of Margaret Thatcher as a person?
Good. - 16 (41%)
Bad. - 23 (59%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 44 Go Down Reply
Author

Margaret Thatcher - good or bad?

(Read 13133 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #570 on: April 18, 2013, 02:47 AM »

Thank goodness our house was always in the lower band!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #571 on: April 18, 2013, 07:12 AM »

It wasn't all drinking though.    There was a wreath laying ceremony as well.    Also it was a short mention compared to the time on TV yesterday for the glorification of Thatcher.    Perhaps if so much fuss had not been made over her funeral, and so much tax payer's money spent on it, there would have been no need for the Danderhall community to have their say.

Totally agree with you there. Considering how divisive her policies were, I think the "celebrations" about her death, were remarkably muted. If I hear one more eulogy or hear her damn voice once more, I will be forced to get revoltingly drunk myself!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #572 on: April 18, 2013, 01:59 PM »

If the government had left her to buried in a private service there would have been less of a reaction by those community's she ruined it would have been a lot less reaction to her funeral. Instead this government decided to go the whole hogg and have a state funeral in all but name. Also in hard economic times they spent a whole lot of money on her funeral which was seen as rubbing people's noses in it.The people in the communities she ruined still have bitterness towards her and having this big funeral just made it worse.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #573 on: April 18, 2013, 02:02 PM »

Totally agree with you there. Considering how divisive her policies were, I think the "celebrations" about her death, were remarkably muted. If I hear one more eulogy or hear her damn voice once more, I will be forced to get revoltingly drunk myself!

I'll join you BBH
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #574 on: April 18, 2013, 02:05 PM »

If the government had left her to buried in a private service there would have been less of a reaction by those community's she ruined it would have been a lot less reaction to her funeral. Instead this government decided to go the whole hogg and have a state funeral in all but name. Also in hard economic times they spent a whole lot of money on her funeral which was seen as rubbing people's noses in it.The people in the communities she ruined still have bitterness towards her and having this big funeral just made it worse.

And we are still at the mercy of Westminster.   She's not all that dead.   Cameron was arrogant enough to go ahead with a £10 million funeral for someone who is hated in large parts of the country.   I hope Scottish voters remember this come the referendum.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #575 on: April 18, 2013, 02:07 PM »

To be fair to the woman - she had no control over what kind of circus her death would throw up.  I didn't approve of the hype - nor did I approve of the disgusting behaviour of louts who were not even born in her era.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #576 on: April 18, 2013, 02:14 PM »

To be fair to the woman - she had no control over what kind of circus her death would throw up.  I didn't approve of the hype - nor did I approve of the disgusting behaviour of louts who were not even born in her era.

Close family would know what you want.    I knew what my Mother wanted.    But then she didn't die on her own in a hotel room.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #577 on: April 18, 2013, 02:17 PM »

Close family would know what you want.    I knew what my Mother wanted.    But then she didn't die on her own in a hotel room.
I know - I guess she wasn't part of your regular family, and the laugh of it is, I'm not even a fan or a Tory voter, so I'm not sure why I'm still bumping my gums! Very Happy
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #578 on: April 18, 2013, 02:21 PM »

I suppose it tells a story that she died in a hotel room.  Either, she didn't want her family, or her family didn't want her?
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #579 on: April 18, 2013, 02:28 PM »

I suppose it tells a story that she died in a hotel room.  Either, she didn't want her family, or her family didn't want her?

Never mind family.    If I had thought as much of her as some of the people who are eulogising her now, I would have taken her home and looked after her.   
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #580 on: April 18, 2013, 02:28 PM »

What's this all about http://coalactionscotland.org.uk/
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #581 on: April 18, 2013, 02:29 PM »

Never mind family.    If I had thought as much of her as some of the people who are eulogising her now, I would have taken her home and looked after her.   
People tend to jump on a bandwagon - human nature.  However, they should look before they leap!  Very Happy
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #582 on: April 18, 2013, 02:32 PM »

Yes Iluvandy I to hope they remember. We hear so much that is good about being part of the UK what a load of rubbish. We are still controlled by Westminster and what good has it done for us very little. A lot of English people seem to be happy to be rid of us then so be it. Cameron and his millionaire cabinet haven't a clue we might as well be independent if we make mistakes it will be our mistakes.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #583 on: April 18, 2013, 02:34 PM »

No problem with peaceful protest, but absolutely agree with you Elly on the horrible loutish behaviour.

Maggs wanted the whole shebang of St. Pauls, and planned it that way according to this. Mark & Carol were also aware. But it is the DM, so what do I really know?
(2008)

..she was with the Queen at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday
..The Mail on Sunday has learned that plans are under way for her funeral, when the time eventually comes, to take place at St Paul’s Cathedral.

..The Queen and Gordon Brown are both in discussions with Lady Thatcher’s  private office concerning the arrangements

..St Paul’s was chosen at Lady Thatcher’s request.

..His (Sir Malcolm) plans have also been discussed with Lady Thatcher’s daughter Carol and son Mark in conjunction with Mark Worthington, her senior adviser.

..In a separate proposal, the Queen has also given her permission for Lady Thatcher to lie in the Chapel of St Mary’s Undercroft immediately beneath Westminster Hall on the night before her funeral. Family friends and VIPs would be able to visit the chapel to pay their last respects.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1034634/Lady-Thatcher-honoured-State-funeral.html
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #584 on: April 18, 2013, 02:42 PM »

No problem with peaceful protest, but absolutely agree with you Elly on the horrible loutish behaviour.

Maggs wanted the whole shebang of St. Pauls, and planned it that way according to this. Mark & Carol were also aware. But it is the DM, so what do I really know?
(2008)

..she was with the Queen at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday
..The Mail on Sunday has learned that plans are under way for her funeral, when the time eventually comes, to take place at St Paul’s Cathedral.

..The Queen and Gordon Brown are both in discussions with Lady Thatcher’s  private office concerning the arrangements

..St Paul’s was chosen at Lady Thatcher’s request.

..His (Sir Malcolm) plans have also been discussed with Lady Thatcher’s daughter Carol and son Mark in conjunction with Mark Worthington, her senior adviser.

..In a separate proposal, the Queen has also given her permission for Lady Thatcher to lie in the Chapel of St Mary’s Undercroft immediately beneath Westminster Hall on the night before her funeral. Family friends and VIPs would be able to visit the chapel to pay their last respects.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1034634/Lady-Thatcher-honoured-State-funeral.html
So - what can we conclude from all of this?  I'm afraid, for me, it sounds as if she was a bit a megalomaniac and everyone indulged it?  I don't read newspapers, so am not so well informed regarding the funeral, and I'm not 'Thatcher' bashing.  I'm just perplexed that she had everyone wrapped round her little finger.  I don't see any sterling and outstanding works to justify that?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 44 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »