Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What do you think of Margaret Thatcher as a person?
Good. - 16 (41%)
Bad. - 23 (59%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 Go Down Reply
Author

Margaret Thatcher - good or bad?

(Read 14332 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #585 on: April 18, 2013, 02:52 PM »

Yes apparently she had control of her funeral it appears, she had planned her funeral some years ago. So it seems she got her way. Still influencing people into today's government who had to approve it. In today's there are yet more pages about the funeral I truly wish that the book should be closed on her era she is dead maybe the living can get on with their lives.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #586 on: April 18, 2013, 03:00 PM »

Yes apparently she had control of her funeral it appears, she had planned her funeral some years ago. So it seems she got her way. Still influencing people into today's government who had to approve it. In today's there are yet more pages about the funeral I truly wish that the book should be closed on her era she is dead maybe the living can get on with their lives.
She only had control because nobody told her to F off!  Very Happy
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #587 on: April 18, 2013, 03:12 PM »

What a load of gutless wonders.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #588 on: April 18, 2013, 04:09 PM »

Sorry I forgot to make my comment.Little Buddha you are forgetting that Maggie Thatcher was an elected PM and only the people should be allowed to get rid of an elected PM
  The Labour party did the same to Tony Blair and gave us Gordon Brown Neither of these actions were democratic and both of them brought disaster

We do not have presidential government in this country although it did look a bit like it with Thatcher and Blair.     We do not elect a PM.    We vote for a party.   The party chooses the leader .
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #589 on: April 18, 2013, 04:16 PM »

So - what can we conclude from all of this?  I'm afraid, for me, it sounds as if she was a bit a megalomaniac and everyone indulged it?  I don't read newspapers, so am not so well informed regarding the funeral, and I'm not 'Thatcher' bashing.  I'm just perplexed that she had everyone wrapped round her little finger.  I don't see any sterling and outstanding works to justify that?

Some people credit her with putting the "Great" back into "Great Britain", and the demise of communism in Europe (sorry about that Mikhail Gorbachev).   The fact that the Tory party was worried that she was making the UK unpopular says a lot about the woman.    It's not usually difficult to find EU sceptics among the Tories.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #590 on: April 18, 2013, 04:37 PM »

^ I think people who benefit from Politics will always vote for the Party/Person who will make their lives better.  There are very few of us who are altruistic enough to see a 'bigger picture'.  I think she started out with good intentions, but her sense of self became bigger than anything.  Perhaps a little humility would have gone a long way.  I find it very sad that she died alone in a hotel room - but maybe that's the way she wanted it. 
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #591 on: April 18, 2013, 05:44 PM »

Put it this way my mum had dementia and I was the one who looked after her. It is a terrible illness and it is a shame to see how quickly the person you know go down the pan. In a way I understand how hard it is to deal with a person who has dementia even by your own family. I am sure she was well cared for by her carers but that is not the same as family. It is a shame that her family was not involved in her care I wonder if they now regret it. As you say she died alone in a hotel room what a sad end for her.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #592 on: April 18, 2013, 06:43 PM »

No problem with peaceful protest, but absolutely agree with you Elly on the horrible loutish behaviour.

Maggs wanted the whole shebang of St. Pauls, and planned it that way according to this. Mark & Carol were also aware. But it is the DM, so what do I really know?
(2008)

..she was with the Queen at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday
..The Mail on Sunday has learned that plans are under way for her funeral, when the time eventually comes, to take place at St Paul’s Cathedral.

..The Queen and Gordon Brown are both in discussions with Lady Thatcher’s  private office concerning the arrangements

..St Paul’s was chosen at Lady Thatcher’s request.

..His (Sir Malcolm) plans have also been discussed with Lady Thatcher’s daughter Carol and son Mark in conjunction with Mark Worthington, her senior adviser.

..In a separate proposal, the Queen has also given her permission for Lady Thatcher to lie in the Chapel of St Mary’s Undercroft immediately beneath Westminster Hall on the night before her funeral. Family friends and VIPs would be able to visit the chapel to pay their last respects.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1034634/Lady-Thatcher-honoured-State-funeral.html
I remember hearing all about this at the time and being absolutely furious.  What an arrogant, self-centred, megalomaniac woman.  As my Dad used to say "self first, self last and self in the middle".

I deliberately avoided listening to any of the eulogising of Maggie (a lot of it by people who didn't care much for her when she was alive) because I knew I would get really angry.  When she was PM I couldn't stand hearing her ghastly manufactured voice or even looking at her face which seemed to have a permanent expression of disdain, so much so that I used to turn the TV off.  Dislike barely begins to describe my feelings - and I've never felt like that about anyone else in my entire life.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #593 on: April 18, 2013, 09:49 PM »

I hope Scottish voters remember this come the referendum.

Think I wonder, given the vitriol directed at MT for the pit closures, how the people working at Faslane feel about the SNP's proposal to close where they work?  11,000 jobs or something isn't it?
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #594 on: April 18, 2013, 09:56 PM »

Think I wonder, given the vitriol directed at MT for the pit closures, how the people working at Faslane feel about the SNP's proposal to close where they work?  11,000 jobs or something isn't it?

In my experience, anyone connected with the base is very anti SNP due to the risk to their jobs. In addition it will have a devastating impact on the economy of the surrounding area due to the knock on effect of so many job losses.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #595 on: April 18, 2013, 10:53 PM »

In my experience, anyone connected with the base is very anti SNP due to the risk to their jobs. In addition it will have a devastating impact on the economy of the surrounding area due to the knock on effect of so many job losses.
Absolutely Westie.  The 11,000 jobs applies, so I understand, to those actually directly involved with working at Faslane.  It does not take into account the increased level of unemployment due to the knock-on effect of closing the base.  Quite honestly I don't understand the SNP's attitude here.  On the one hand they want to create jobs, yet on the other they're quite happy to throw away thousands because they don't want nuclear subs based in Scotland - which is something else I don't understand because, should there be a nuclear accident, it isn't going to matter much which part of the UK the subs are based in.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #596 on: April 19, 2013, 01:03 AM »

Of course anyone working at Faslane will be against the SNP.    But there is no comparison with what happened with Thatcher, and it wasn't just the miners it was industry in general.   The feeling was of total abandonment of the workers - like cannon fodder in the WW1 - we don't need you any more - you're expendable.   That wouldn't happen here.    In any case independence for Scotland does not necessarily mean an SNP government.   People could well revert to voting Labour although it would appear unlikely looking at what's on offer at the moment.    But what is certain is that we would not have a Tory government.   Bliss.   
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #597 on: April 19, 2013, 02:10 AM »

Think  Interesting take on things.  Oh, I never voted until the late 90's btw, in case you think I'm a closet tory voter.  

Labour oppose independence don't they?  Could they overturn any decision made on the independence vote or have the SNP put something in place that you can't do that.  And I guess I should ask this question on the other thread.

I did find this tidbit:-

Perceived wisdom is also that manufacturing disappeared under Thatcher. If so, it was something that had already started. In 1970, manufacturing accounted for 20.57% of UK GDP. By 1979 that was down to 17.62% of GDP. By the time she left office, that decline had continued - albeit at a slightly slower pace, down to 15.18%. Now it is much lower, according to the ONS - down to 9.68% in 2010.

[ Last edit by Bevc April 19, 2013, 02:15 AM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #598 on: April 19, 2013, 11:46 AM »

People voted SNP because they were sick of the Labour Government who were the Tory Government in disguise. They got a shock when the SNP won and could not understand why. Blair thought Scotland would always vote labour but nothing should be taken for granted. The tories thought that Margaret Thatcher was god they made a massive mistake she was loathed in Scotland and her government's policies did more damage to Scotland and will never be forgoten. It will make the Labour Party in Wesminister think hard they have to win back the people of Scotland. As I have said before a Federal System is what most Scots want if it is not forthcoming the SNP will win.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Margaret Thatcher - good or bad? « Reply #599 on: April 19, 2013, 12:25 PM »

Think  Interesting take on things.  Oh, I never voted until the late 90's btw, in case you think I'm a closet tory voter. 

Labour oppose independence don't they?  Could they overturn any decision made on the independence vote or have the SNP put something in place that you can't do that.  And I guess I should ask this question on the other thread.

I did find this tidbit:-

Perceived wisdom is also that manufacturing disappeared under Thatcher. If so, it was something that had already started. In 1970, manufacturing accounted for 20.57% of UK GDP. By 1979 that was down to 17.62% of GDP. By the time she left office, that decline had continued - albeit at a slightly slower pace, down to 15.18%. Now it is much lower, according to the ONS - down to 9.68% in 2010.

Not sure what was interesting, Bev.    Maybe the fact that we could go back to voting Labour after independence.    There will  have to be an election if the referendum is Yes so in theory any party could be elected.   But it would have to be run as an independent country and I don't think many people would trust either Labour or Tory to do that.   They've not exactly done much good at Westminster.

As for the decline in manufacturing that happens naturally all the time - at one time Lancashire was the centre of the cotton industry and then along came man made fibres.   But it's a movement not a decimation.

And you can vote any way you like Bev - it's none of my business.    Would you believe that some of my best friends are Tories just are some are Fed supporters.   There's room for us all and it makes life more interesting.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »