Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 ... 140 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment?  (Read 32968 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1500 on: April 18, 2012, 11:33 AM »

^Does sound good and wonderfully indulgent Very Happy I love sandalwood!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1501 on: April 18, 2012, 11:37 AM »

Eyebrow raise. How's the meat and veg?

I meant for my dry hands.

Meat and veg? Hmm. I had two types of antibiotics - Pamsvax and ciprofloxicillin - that I took for a month. They did no good at all, until the cipro ran out and I was using just the Pamsvax on its own for ten days. That seemed to have an effect. Then I ran out and I'm back to square one. If I can find the time, I'll ask the doc for just the Pamsvax.

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1502 on: April 18, 2012, 11:38 AM »

Some hair recipe suggestions (not for Nigel, since he doesn't have any)

I have an abundance of hair. Just not on my head.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1503 on: April 18, 2012, 11:46 AM »

Meat and veg? Hmm. I had two types of antibiotics - Pamsvax and ciprofloxicillin - that I took for a month. They did no good at all, until the cipro ran out and I was using just the Pamsvax on its own for ten days. That seemed to have an effect. Then I ran out and I'm back to square one. If I can find the time, I'll ask the doc for just the Pamsvax.

If it's working then ask for a repeat prescription next time and then you can phone in when you need more Smile
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1504 on: April 18, 2012, 11:49 AM »

^Does sound good and wonderfully indulgent Very Happy I love sandalwood!

Does, doesn't it! I too love sandalwood.

Two lots of antibiotics  confused Well if one seems to be helping, that's good but don't forget to top up on those probiotcs.

As for your hands, I don't have one to hand for that but you can buy Weleda products in the UK and I have one of their hand creams on my desk ATM - smells and feels lovely on.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1505 on: April 19, 2012, 03:43 AM »

Spoke to my Grandmother in London on the phone last night for the first time since she was diagnosed with alzheimers (she is in a care home). Completely different person to the one I stayed with on my travels 2 and a half years ago.

She had no idea about anything to do with me. First said I sounded very grown up (I'm 25). The asked how school was going and then asked how my packing was going and that I must be excited about moving to a new country (we emigrated in 1993).
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1506 on: April 19, 2012, 07:11 AM »

How sad, for everyone.  She will have no idea how upsetting it is for you and it's not how you want to remember loved ones.  A friend of ours was diagnosed with Alzheimers when she was only 49.  It's being diagnosed earlier in people but then again, more and more people are putting themselves at risk, with binge drinking being a trigger.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/01/11/binge-drinking-tied-to-alzheimers-risk/22489.html
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1507 on: April 19, 2012, 10:44 AM »

Spoke to my Grandmother in London on the phone last night for the first time since she was diagnosed with alzheimers (she is in a care home). Completely different person to the one I stayed with on my travels 2 and a half years ago.

She had no idea about anything to do with me. First said I sounded very grown up (I'm 25). The asked how school was going and then asked how my packing was going and that I must be excited about moving to a new country (we emigrated in 1993).

hug But although she wasn't keeping to one time, she still remembered you. I know that it's awful but for the person stuck in their memories, at least you know she is remembering you while stuck in there. Horrible to deal with, especially since you're at such a distance hug
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1508 on: April 19, 2012, 12:36 PM »

My mum has Alzheimers and was extremely deaf so communication was bad at the best of times. She was fortunate to go into a council run home were the care was the best. As a a Psychiatric nurse I know just how painful it is to see a person going through the illness. I remember a person who had been a Universirty Lecturer she was a tall elegant clever woman. As the months went by that person became an empty shell.
It is terrible to see how quickly it happens. More research is needed, we have an ageing population and more and more money will be needed to find a cure for this illness. It is a cruel illness leaving the person like an empty shell of their former self. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1509 on: April 19, 2012, 01:13 PM »

Is that one of the side effects?  I'm amazed at the number of side effects you read about on medications atm.
I rarely look at side-effects.  If I did I'd never take the stuff!  Trouble is the drug companies are obliged to detail every single reported side-effect, even if it's only happened with one person.

Yes, I know how distressing that can be.  An aunt of mine who died last year at the age of 96 suffered Alzheimers, and, although all her nieces and nephews were the wrong side of 60, latterly she could only remember who we were if we showed her a photos of us as children!  Doctor said it's the very long-term memory which is the last to go.
[ Last edit by Aileen April 19, 2012, 01:20 PM ] IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1510 on: April 19, 2012, 01:56 PM »

It is very upsetting for family and friends but I was told by a consultant some years ago that the person is now in their own world where they see the rest of us as 'out of step' they know no stress and are quite happy.  I hope this helps in some way for you.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1511 on: April 24, 2012, 04:05 PM »

Just back from the docs and I have tennis elbow!  Does anyone know why it is called this?  Husband thinks its something to do with my support for Andy!!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1512 on: April 24, 2012, 04:20 PM »

Lateral epicondylitis or lateral epicondylalgia, also known as tennis elbow, shooter's elbow, and archer's elbow, is a condition where the outer part of the elbow becomes sore and tender. It is commonly associated with playing tennis and other racquet sports, though the injury can happen to almost anyone.[1]

Tennis elbow is an overuse injury occurring in the lateral side of the elbow region, but more specifically it occurs at the common extensor tendon that originates from the lateral epicondyle. While the common name "tennis elbow" suggests that people who play tennis may develop this condition, other activities of daily living may also cause it.[2]

Data was collected from 113 patients who had tennis elbow, and the main factor common to them all was overexertion. Sportspersons as well as those who used the same repetitive motion for many years, especially in their profession, suffered from tennis elbow. It was also common in individuals who performed motions they were unaccustomed to. The data also mentioned that the majority of patients suffered tennis elbow in their right arms.[3]

Other descriptions for tennis elbow are lateral epicondylosis, lateral epicondylalgia, or simply lateral elbow pain.

Lateral epicondylitis is a painful condition at the lateral epicondyle of the humerus. The acute pain that a person might feel occurs as one fully extends the arm. Since the pathogenesis of this condition is still unknown, an appropriate name is still in the works. Despite the term "tennis elbow," tennis players make up a small number of individuals who suffer from this ailment, which is often found in manual workers such as builders and waiters. Bowden states that it should be called lateral elbow syndrome.[4]

Runge is usually credited for the first description in 1873 of the condition.[5] The term tennis elbow was first used in 1883 by Major in his paper "Lawn-tennis elbow".[6][7]

From Wikipedia google
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1513 on: April 24, 2012, 04:24 PM »

Thanks Bev.  All I knoiw its b****y painful!! Doctor was talking about steroid injections and I thought of Andy last year!  Learning to operate everything with my left hand, including my pc.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Medical Talk - Are you ill at the moment? « Reply #1514 on: April 24, 2012, 04:42 PM »

Learning to operate everything with my left hand.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 ... 140 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »