Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Middle East and North Africa unrest 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Middle East and North Africa unrest  (Read 6717 times)
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #210 on: April 02, 2011, 07:46 PM »

I don't know about France, but Britain's vested interests were only safe if we did not go in. We went in for humaniterian reasons and by doing so, put our vested interests at risk. I think it's really rotten of America to bail out! Better if they hadn't come in the first place, then we would have known where we stood!

I'm not understanding this.

As I understand it France gets it oil from Libya and Britain is desperate to drill in Libya ?  The Americans don't have a vested interest in Libya and went in for humanitarian reasons and no other - is this not correct?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #211 on: April 03, 2011, 04:48 AM »

A bigoted pulpit-thumping pastor publicly burns a copy of the Koran, claiming that it's guilty of crimes against humanity (how can an inanimate object be "guilty"?) and Obama wonders why there are repercussions by Islamic extremists in Afghanistan?  Although he condemns the pastor's act, it seems that he fails to realise that the Koran is widely recognised as being more sacred to Muslims than the Bible is to Christians.

Afghanistan: Obama condemns killings of UN staff [BBC News, 3 April]

President Barack Obama has described as "outrageous" the killings in
Afghanistan triggered by the burning of a Koran in the US last month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12949302
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #212 on: April 03, 2011, 07:16 AM »

I'm not understanding this.

As I understand it France gets it oil from Libya and Britain is desperate to drill in Libya ?  The Americans don't have a vested interest in Libya and went in for humanitarian reasons and no other - is this not correct?
I was under the impression that we were already getting oil from Libya. However, it makes no difference as the deal had already been struck, rightly or wrongly [wrongly in my opinion] with Gadaffi, who stated quite clearly at the start of this, that any country who interfered would get no oil from Libya. We went in on humanitarian reasons only! The Americans probably did too, but their humanitarianism didn't stretch very far! I have heard that Obama was 'in trouble' and threatened with impeachment, for going in at all! I posted on this thread the other day about the young woman who was raped.......Am I the only one who saw that on the news?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #213 on: April 03, 2011, 07:30 AM »

I posted on this thread the other day about the young woman who was raped.......Am I the only one who saw that on the news?
I saw it too.  Absolutely appalling.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #214 on: April 03, 2011, 07:45 AM »

Do you know if she's still missing?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #215 on: April 03, 2011, 07:57 AM »

She certainly was two days ago when I signed on an online petition for her release.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #216 on: April 03, 2011, 08:05 AM »

Where can I find the petition Aileen?
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #217 on: April 03, 2011, 09:14 AM »

I was under the impression that we were already getting oil from Libya. However, it makes no difference as the deal had already been struck, rightly or wrongly [wrongly in my opinion] with Gadaffi, who stated quite clearly at the start of this, that any country who interfered would get no oil from Libya. We went in on humanitarian reasons only! The Americans probably did too, but their humanitarianism didn't stretch very far! I have heard that Obama was 'in trouble' and threatened with impeachment, for going in at all! I posted on this thread the other day about the young woman who was raped.......Am I the only one who saw that on the news?

Yes, the Brits and the French get oil from Libya, but the Americans don't.  So, it is understandable that the Americans could only be there for humanitarian reasons and to say their humanitarianism didn't stretch very far is not accurate as they have spent a whole lot more on their effort than anyone else thus far.  Plus, the humanitarian part of the operation is at an end as far as I can tell - it is now rebels vs Gadaffi and the rebels are never going to win - they don't have the expertise, the manpower, the firepower ... nor very much of anything else.  What they need is a trained army with the expertise, the manpower, the firepower and where are they going to get one of those ... the USA ... why should America be the world's policeman?  Who is paying for that?  The American taxpayer is paying for its military, and I, as a US taxpayer think it is unfair for other "powers" to look to the USA at the drop of a hat.

To underline what I'm saying:

America is spending $100million per day in Libya
Britain is spending £3million per day in Libya

$100million per day is an awful lot of humanitarianism  !!!

Now that I have that off my chest ... Very Happy
[ Last edit by Daisy April 03, 2011, 09:39 AM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #218 on: April 03, 2011, 10:07 AM »

Don't you think if you were to work that out 'per capita', you may find that the British tax payer is paying at least as much?  I could argue about this all day long, but we'd probably end up falling out, and while there are some people who I couldn't give a s**t whether I fell out with or not, you are not one of those people! So, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one! One thing I would agree on though, is it's beginning to feel like the rebels cannot win this, without at least more sophisticated weaponry. I can't see anyone handing that over [I hope not anyway], now that we know who else is involved!
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #219 on: April 03, 2011, 10:14 AM »

Don't you think if you were to work that out 'per capita', you may find that the British tax payer is paying at least as much?  I could argue about this all day long, but we'd probably end up falling out, and while there are some people who I couldn't give a s**t whether I fell out with or not, you are not one of those people! So, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one! One thing I would agree on though, is it's beginning to feel like the rebels cannot win this, without at least more sophisticated weaponry. I can't see anyone handing that over [I hope not anyway], now that we know who else is involved!

I agree - we're not going to fall out about it, hug but it is just not America's fight - they have no jurisdiction, plus their national debt is crippling etc etc. PLUS  I pay taxes in both countries so it's a double whammy for me !!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #220 on: April 03, 2011, 10:18 AM »

Awww Daisy.......it's not our fight either! At least America had nothing 'else' to lose.......Britain did....and has!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #221 on: April 03, 2011, 10:20 AM »

That, by the way, was my last word!.......I'm sending you an email!
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #222 on: April 03, 2011, 10:56 AM »

This is a  is a bookshop in Lahore's Gaddafi Stadium   Whistle

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #223 on: April 03, 2011, 11:25 AM »

:p
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

"GIRL OF MY DREAMS" in Chit-Chat.

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #224 on: April 08, 2011, 10:00 PM »

I don’t know why the Nato Secretary was so upbeat about his “success” in protecting civilians in Libya on TV today when 10,000 have been killed and Gaddafi Forces advanced East yesterday and drove all the residents of Abjabya from their homes, leaving nothing now between them and Bengazi.

I guess it will be Bengazi tomorrow and another 10,000 dead civilians.

Some “SUCCESS”  !!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »