Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Middle East and North Africa unrest 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Go Down Reply
Author

Middle East and North Africa unrest

(Read 6895 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #225 on: April 09, 2011, 12:06 PM »

Its time UK lost it's delusions about being a world power.  We are already involved in two other wars.
Even the Americans want out of Afghanistan I dont know why we got involved in the first place and Iraq
at least we are almost out of there.  Our troops are not even given the right kit and the one's in Afghanistan who are coming home soon will find redundancy notices waiting for them.  What a way to treat them by this
gung ho government.  They could not give a toss about them. Cameron is just trying to show the world that
the UK is still a world power. Also trying to impress the Americans.  We are not the 51st state and should go
our own way.  We have enough problems at home without trying to impress all in sundry
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #226 on: April 09, 2011, 03:42 PM »

Its time UK lost it's delusions about being a world power.  We are already involved in two other wars.
Even the Americans want out of Afghanistan I dont know why we got involved in the first place and Iraq
at least we are almost out of there.  Our troops are not even given the right kit and the one's in Afghanistan who are coming home soon will find redundancy notices waiting for them.  What a way to treat them by this
gung ho government.  They could not give a toss about them. Cameron is just trying to show the world that
the UK is still a world power. Also trying to impress the Americans.  We are not the 51st state and should go
our own way.  We have enough problems at home without trying to impress all in sundry

I thought the UK were involved because they have a vested interest?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #227 on: April 09, 2011, 04:57 PM »

Daisy, I'm going to buy you a big wooden spoon..........and slap you with it! w00t
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #228 on: April 09, 2011, 05:57 PM »

Daisy, I'm going to buy you a big wooden spoon..........and slap you with it! w00t

Hmmm - really?  One of us is not understanding why you'd want to do that.

The UK are involved because they have a vested interest aka BP's single biggest exploration commitment," says BP group chief executive.... don't think they are prancing around just for the sake of it.

http://www.bp.com/genericarticle.do?categoryId=2012968&contentId=7033600
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #229 on: April 09, 2011, 06:06 PM »

No, on second thoughts.......you don't need a big wooden spoon! What happened to agreeing to disagree? Hmmm? :p
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #230 on: April 09, 2011, 06:14 PM »

No, on second thoughts.......you don't need a big wooden spoon! What happened to agreeing to disagree? Hmmm? :p

If anyone should be awarded the wooden spoon, I'm thinking it might be you  :p

I'm stating facts - no more, no less.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #231 on: April 09, 2011, 06:28 PM »

Whatever!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #232 on: April 09, 2011, 08:07 PM »

I dont give a toss about uk oil interests. That is why we are involved why go in as a "humatarian" mission the only reason is oil. Lets get real.  That is why the USA are pulling out they have other suppliers.  Lets not get all sanctamonious by saying the USA do not get involved if their interests are at stake.  In the current
situation this country has enough in its hands to cope with.  If Scotland became independant  would England
invade to protect its oil supplies.? Therefore killing its supposed kith and kin.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #233 on: April 09, 2011, 08:29 PM »

I dont give a toss about uk oil interests. That is why we are involved why go in as a "humatarian" mission the only reason is oil. Lets get real.  That is why the USA are pulling out they have other suppliers.  Lets not get all sanctamonious by saying the USA do not get involved if their interests are at stake.  In the current
situation this country has enough in its hands to cope with.  If Scotland became independant  would England
invade to protect its oil supplies.? Therefore killing its supposed kith and kin.

I don't understand most of this post  Think

IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

"GIRL OF MY DREAMS" in Chit-Chat.

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #234 on: April 09, 2011, 09:42 PM »

I thought the UK were involved because they have a vested interest?

That’s true. They have a large vested interest and a large prior involvement with the people of Libya and subsequently a large responsibility for their welfare.

The good news is that Gaddafi Forces have not yet captured the town of Ajdibya, despite its civilian occupants having completely deserted it.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #235 on: April 09, 2011, 09:44 PM »

That’s true. They have a large vested interest and a large prior involvement with the people of Libya and subsequently a large responsibility for their welfare.

The good news is that Gaddafi Forces have not yet captured the town of Ajdibya, despite its civilian occupants having completely deserted it.

When you say they have a large prior involvement with the people of Libya, what are you referring to?  And, why are they therefore responsible for their welfare?
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #236 on: April 09, 2011, 09:48 PM »

Libya used to be under the UK and France's care as part of a UN agreement after WWII. They governed parts of Libya before Libya became "independent".

I don't know if George was referring to that though.
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

"GIRL OF MY DREAMS" in Chit-Chat.

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #237 on: April 09, 2011, 09:59 PM »

Right ..  and the fact that a lot of the arms Gaddafi is using to massacre the population was supplied by us   ...   so  ....   that was a bit of a mistake wasn't it   ...   and one we should put right ....
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #238 on: April 09, 2011, 10:06 PM »

Right ..  and the fact that a lot of the arms Gaddafi is using to massacre the population was supplied by us   ...   so  ....   that was a bit of a mistake wasn't it   ...   and one we should put right ....

So, to recap, you think the Brits are in Libya to protect their investments, because of their prior involvement and to make amends for selling arms to Gaddafi?  I can see why they're in there re their investments, but wouldn't they just regard the selling of arms as business?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #239 on: April 10, 2011, 06:18 AM »

No George, we should never have let Libya, or any other volatile country, have those arms in the first place.  We also sold arms to Afghanistan to help them fight the Russians, and went on to supply weapons to Iraq and other Middle Eastern countries as well as Libya - and this statement only relates to 2010:

Arms Exports To Middle East Blasted By MPs  [Sky News, 5 April]

Last year alone, approval was given for the export to Libya of small arms, crowd control and tear gas/irritant ammunitions.

Technology for the use of infrared and thermal imaging equipment was also given the go-ahead.

For Bahrain, licences were issued covering submachine guns, sniper rifles, CS hand grenades, smoke canisters, stun grenades, and tear gas and riot control agents.

Body armour and night vision goggles have also been approved for Yemen, and small arms ammunition for Syria.

And in Saudi Arabia, export licences for sniper rifles, aircraft components and armoured personnel carriers were permitted.

Full article - http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Video-British-Governments-Slammed-Over-Arms-Exports-To-Middle-East-And-North-Africa/Article/201104115966087?

It's Britain and any other country which did the same that has not only the blood of innocent civilians on their hands but the blood of all the soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.  The Russians may have quit the latter in 1989 but, old as these weapons are, the Taliban are still using them.  And Cameron needn't talk.  After all I seem to recall he paid a visit to the Middle East recently with defence sales' team in tow ... 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »