Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Middle East and North Africa unrest 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Middle East and North Africa unrest  (Read 6701 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #240 on: April 10, 2011, 06:24 AM »

I agree with all of that Aileen!    Shame on us!
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #241 on: April 10, 2011, 06:43 AM »

No George, we should never have let Libya, or any other volatile country, have those arms in the first place.  We also sold arms to Afghanistan to help them fight the Russians, and went on to supply weapons to Iraq and other Middle Eastern countries as well as Libya - and this statement only relates to 2010:

Arms Exports To Middle East Blasted By MPs  [Sky News, 5 April]

Last year alone, approval was given for the export to Libya of small arms, crowd control and tear gas/irritant ammunitions.

Technology for the use of infrared and thermal imaging equipment was also given the go-ahead.

For Bahrain, licences were issued covering submachine guns, sniper rifles, CS hand grenades, smoke canisters, stun grenades, and tear gas and riot control agents.

Body armour and night vision goggles have also been approved for Yemen, and small arms ammunition for Syria.

And in Saudi Arabia, export licences for sniper rifles, aircraft components and armoured personnel carriers were permitted.

Full article - http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Video-British-Governments-Slammed-Over-Arms-Exports-To-Middle-East-And-North-Africa/Article/201104115966087?

It's Britain and any other country which did the same that has not only the blood of innocent civilians on their hands but the blood of all the soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.  The Russians may have quit the latter in 1989 but, old as these weapons are, the Taliban are still using them.  And Cameron needn't talk.  After all I seem to recall he paid a visit to the Middle East recently with defence sales' team in tow ... 

That's what I was talking about when I said the sale of arms would surely be regarded as just one more business deal.  Perhaps the attitude is one of "if we don't do it, someone else will and the money is better in British coffers" .  The sale of arms is, after all, one of British most successful and lucrative export markets.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/feb/22/uk-arms-sales-middle-east-north-africa
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #242 on: April 10, 2011, 12:26 PM »

Did u c, courtesy of "news Quiz" that rebels in syria r using "Google Earth" to help them in their fight. Laugh or cry, folks no
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #243 on: April 10, 2011, 01:18 PM »

I agree with Aileen. Cameron went to the Middle East on an arms selling mission.  Now after selling those arms to corrupt governments he is involved in a "humanatarian" war in Libya.  I get so fed up with all the s..t
going on about this governments motives.  UK is not the only government involved I am sure the USA, France and so on have all been involved in this practice. Yes the taliban in Afghanistan were supplied by the Americans with arms to fight against the Russians.  None of these countries are without blame.  They have all
stuck their noses in only making the situation a lot worse. People die and for what war does not solve any problems apart from killing large numbers of civilian populations.
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

"GIRL OF MY DREAMS" in Chit-Chat.

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #244 on: April 10, 2011, 10:02 PM »

When you say they have a large prior involvement with the people of Libya, what are you referring to?  And, why are they therefore responsible for their welfare?

Libya  used to be part of the British Empire.

The guy we sold the weapons to is now using them to slaughter 90% of his civilian population who want the democratic right to vote him out.

We believe democratic rights should be protected.

Did u c, courtesy of "news Quiz" that rebels in syria r using "Google Earth" to help them in their fight. Laugh or cry, folks no

Well I’m certainly using Google Maps on my Ipod to follow the fighting.

IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #245 on: April 10, 2011, 10:13 PM »

Libya  used to be part of the British Empire.

The guy we sold the weapons to is now using them to slaughter 90% of his civilian population who want the democratic right to vote him out.

We believe democratic rights should be protected.

I thought it was part of the Ottoman Empire and then part of the Italian Empire before becoming a sovereign state?

So, do you not think the UK are in there mainly protecting their oil interests and the helping hand  to the civilian population is secondary, or just a blind?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #246 on: April 10, 2011, 11:02 PM »

I thought it was part of the Ottoman Empire and then part of the Italian Empire before becoming a sovereign state?

So, do you not think the UK are in there mainly protecting their oil interests and the helping hand  to the civilian population is secondary, or just a blind?
I thought an ottoman was the thing you kept at the end of your bed.  Woe is me....  Frown
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #247 on: April 11, 2011, 09:21 PM »

I think the UK like the rest of the world is horrified to see a Dictator trying to massacre four million of his own unarmed civilians in their homes simply for wanting the right to vote him out.

It’s pretty unprecedented.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #248 on: April 11, 2011, 09:32 PM »

I think the UK like the rest of the world is horrified to see a Dictator trying to massacre four million of his own unarmed civilians in their homes simply for wanting the right to vote him out.

George, for once, I couldn't agree more! w00t yes
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #249 on: April 11, 2011, 09:35 PM »

George, for once, I couldn't agree more! w00t yes

Careful ...
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #250 on: April 11, 2011, 09:43 PM »

Dictators do all manner of horrible things.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #251 on: April 12, 2011, 07:12 AM »

Careful ...
nervous
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #252 on: April 12, 2011, 05:37 PM »

So do democratic one's but under cover.
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #253 on: April 12, 2011, 09:20 PM »

Dictators do all manner of horrible things.

I see that Haig and Sarkosy are complaining that NATO Planes are not knocking out Gaddafi's tanks quickly enough.

Pity the poor residents of Misrata ..   it's unbelievable  ..
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Middle East and North Africa unrest « Reply #254 on: October 20, 2011, 02:52 PM »

Gaddafi killed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15389550
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »