Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Minor irritations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 46 Go Down Reply
Author

Minor irritations

(Read 12644 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #525 on: April 12, 2012, 02:21 PM »

People who go into a shop, for example, and purchase something whilst remaining on the phone. I find it incredibly rude.

Glad this coffee shop has banned it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17687054
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #526 on: April 12, 2012, 02:34 PM »

Yes Mark it costs nothing to be polite. Do not push whilst waiting to be served and say please and thank you.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #527 on: April 12, 2012, 08:00 PM »

People who go into a shop, for example, and purchase something whilst remaining on the phone. I find it incredibly rude.

Yes I've seen a couple of coffee shops in Edinburgh who've banned this as well.  There's no excuse for bad manners like this.

And on the subject of mobile phones (and I do have one) - people who walk along the pavement talking on them and are apparently so engrossed in their conversation that they don't look where they're going and so keep bumping into folk.  Even worse though are the cretins who keep talking whilst crossing busy roads - never at proper crossings though - and seem oblivious to traffic which often has to swerve or slow down to avoid hitting them.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #528 on: April 12, 2012, 08:02 PM »

The coffee shop I work with hasn't banned it. Annoying as ****, but not as annoying as when customers try to give me $100 bills for a $1.77 cup of coffee. ****, I'm not a bank.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #529 on: April 12, 2012, 08:08 PM »

Maybe they just don't have anything smaller - or are they just too lazy to check the change in their wallets?  Do you ever ask if they can give you something smaller?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #530 on: April 12, 2012, 08:35 PM »

How about people just use their credit/debit cards? There's just no need for cash anymore. I've paid for a single packet of crisps with my card before.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #531 on: April 12, 2012, 08:42 PM »

Because people are assholes. We don't accept bills over $20 as a matter of safety, because we've been robbed many times and try to have less cash on hand as a result. We have a large sign on the front door that says that we don't accept bills over $20, yet I still get assholes who think we're a bank.

Yeah, have no idea why people don't use debit/credit cards more often. Probably because if you have cash, you're more conscious about how much money you're spending?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #532 on: April 12, 2012, 08:46 PM »

Cash will be a thing of a past very soon with the new 'wave technology' that's in cards now.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #533 on: April 12, 2012, 09:22 PM »

Because people are assholes. We don't accept bills over $20 as a matter of safety, because we've been robbed many times and try to have less cash on hand as a result. We have a large sign on the front door that says that we don't accept bills over $20, yet I still get assholes who think we're a bank.
The big concern in the UK is £20 notes.  A few years ago there was a huge number of counterfeit ones in circulation, and I still see shopkeepers checking them.

How about people just use their credit/debit cards? There's just no need for cash anymore. I've paid for a single packet of crisps with my card before.
I thought there was a charge for paying for things costing less than £5?

Cash will be a thing of a past very soon with the new 'wave technology' that's in cards now.
Well I prefer cash because then I can see where my money's going without getting a fright when my credit card statement comes in!

[ Last edit by Aileen April 12, 2012, 09:25 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #534 on: April 13, 2012, 07:22 AM »

@Mark 8.46. Have u read "The Handmaid's Tale?"
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #535 on: April 13, 2012, 07:41 AM »

I thought there was a charge for paying for things costing less than £5?
In family shops etc but any big branded shop should be fine.

@Mark 8.46. Have u read "The Handmaid's Tale?"
Nope.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #536 on: April 13, 2012, 09:54 AM »

Mark: a cautionary tale about the consequences of societies totally dependant on bits of plastic.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #537 on: April 13, 2012, 02:58 PM »

Having just read the plot summary on Wikipedia and Amazon, that doesn't seem to play a significant role at all?
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #538 on: April 13, 2012, 03:10 PM »

I hardly every carry money on me.
Small items debit.  Larger on 2 particular credit cards, purely for the points I'm saving, and I go to the cash machine, take the cash home and put it in a jar with the receipt.  That way when the bill comes in we already have the money to pay it.
Credit card debt is the worst debt you can have.
There's a programme here called "Til Debt Do Us Part".. great program with a no bs presenter putting couples thru money bootcamp. http://www.slice.ca/shows/showspage.aspx?title_id=93097
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #539 on: April 13, 2012, 04:05 PM »

Does it take a hell of a lot of effort to be polite? Some shop assistants I have encountered recently are just downright rude.

It makes me angry we pay our cash to be treated like nuisances and second thoughts.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 46 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »