Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Minor irritations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 Go Down Reply
Author

Minor irritations

(Read 11602 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #645 on: January 27, 2013, 11:27 PM »

People who use hashtags on Facebook.

Round them up and kill them all.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #646 on: January 27, 2013, 11:28 PM »

#killthemall!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #647 on: January 27, 2013, 11:36 PM »

My laptop - but I can't live without the damned thing!  Basically I'm being told that no wireless networks are available, yet until yesterday I had no problem connecting to my BT home hub.  Fortunately I can use the ethernet cable but it isn't convenient.  Have spent nearly an hour trying to solve this problem without success. grr
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #648 on: January 27, 2013, 11:41 PM »

My laptop - but I can't live without the damned thing!  Basically I'm being told that no wireless networks are available, yet until yesterday I had no problem connecting to my BT home hub.  Fortunately I can use the ethernet cable but it isn't convenient.  Have spent nearly an hour trying to solve this problem without success. grr

I have a solution. Smash the laptop!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #649 on: January 28, 2013, 12:38 AM »

I have a solution. Smash the laptop!
That thought has crossed my mind a few times when it's been acting up.  I'm convinced computer technology was invented just to wind me up!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #650 on: January 28, 2013, 12:05 PM »

When people do EXACTLY the opposite of what you ask them to do doh

I told my dad that I am bored of chain watches and want a strap one for daily use. But he got me a chain watch which is identical to my old one ( he never knew that) and says, "Something like what you wanted right?" Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #651 on: January 29, 2013, 02:09 AM »

The expression "Don't do as I do.  Do as I tell you!"  If you don't want people to do something the way you do it, then why do it in the first place?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #652 on: January 29, 2013, 02:20 AM »

My laptop - but I can't live without the damned thing!  Basically I'm being told that no wireless networks are available, yet until yesterday I had no problem connecting to my BT home hub.  Fortunately I can use the ethernet cable but it isn't convenient.  Have spent nearly an hour trying to solve this problem without success. grr

Your BT home hub box might need updating dontknow  We had a problem with ours that it kept cutting off or we had to keep resetting the internet so my son updated the software on it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #653 on: January 29, 2013, 04:00 AM »

Your BT home hub box might need updating dontknow  We had a problem with ours that it kept cutting off or we had to keep resetting the internet so my son updated the software on it.
I may have to take it to my computer repair man because I don't have a clue as to how to update the software.  I'm going to have to pay him a visit anyway because I keep getting a message when I switch the laptop on - a blue screen full of computer lingo that don't understand, but which mentions the rather alarming words "Crash Dump" and the fact that Windows was unable to start because of a problem.  I'm then invited to do System Restore and Repair, which of course I do, but the repair element of it can take anything from 5 minutes to half an hour.

I did ask Windows to check out the wi-fi problem and was told that an adaptor wasn't plugged in.  As the only adaptor I can see is the one on the power cable, and which is obviously working, I'm mystified.  There's also a reference to the wireless capability having been disabled and that there should be a switch on the computer or a function key I can use to enable it - but I can't see anything like that either!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #654 on: January 29, 2013, 05:36 AM »

The expression "Don't do as I do.  Do as I tell you!"  If you don't want people to do something the way you do it, then why do it in the first place?

I'm sorry but was that directed to me, Ail?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #655 on: January 29, 2013, 09:08 AM »

I may have to take it to my computer repair man because I don't have a clue as to how to update the software.  I'm going to have to pay him a visit anyway because I keep getting a message when I switch the laptop on - a blue screen full of computer lingo that don't understand, but which mentions the rather alarming words "Crash Dump" and the fact that Windows was unable to start because of a problem.  I'm then invited to do System Restore and Repair, which of course I do, but the repair element of it can take anything from 5 minutes to half an hour.

I did ask Windows to check out the wi-fi problem and was told that an adaptor wasn't plugged in.  As the only adaptor I can see is the one on the power cable, and which is obviously working, I'm mystified.  There's also a reference to the wireless capability having been disabled and that there should be a switch on the computer or a function key I can use to enable it - but I can't see anything like that either!

Oh Aileen, that would have me all confused and luckily I have a son that is able to decipher these things for me. I hope you have a good technician to take your computer to and that it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #656 on: January 29, 2013, 05:06 PM »

I may have to take it to my computer repair man because I don't have a clue as to how to update the software.  I'm going to have to pay him a visit anyway because I keep getting a message when I switch the laptop on - a blue screen full of computer lingo that don't understand, but which mentions the rather alarming words "Crash Dump" and the fact that Windows was unable to start because of a problem.  I'm then invited to do System Restore and Repair, which of course I do, but the repair element of it can take anything from 5 minutes to half an hour.

I did ask Windows to check out the wi-fi problem and was told that an adaptor wasn't plugged in.  As the only adaptor I can see is the one on the power cable, and which is obviously working, I'm mystified.  There's also a reference to the wireless capability having been disabled and that there should be a switch on the computer or a function key I can use to enable it - but I can't see anything like that either!

Do you have an ethernet cable? If so try connecting that to your router then to your computer.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #657 on: January 29, 2013, 05:17 PM »

^ Thanks, but the problem has now been solved (see post below).  I had been using the ethernet cable though but it was a real pain because I can't get my laptop near the hub which has of necessity to be in the hall where the phone socket is.

Oh Aileen, that would have me all confused and luckily I have a son that is able to decipher these things for me. I hope you have a good technician to take your computer to and that it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.
Got the wi-fi problem sorted out with BT.  The wireless switch had been turned off, and the reason I couldn't find it in the first place is because it's a tiny little thing you slide on the front of the LH side of the base of the laptop.  It was only when the adviser negotiated me to the right area that I finally found it.  It would have made life a lot easier if Sony had made it more visible in the first place! Rolling Eyes  Also because the switch slides I know what must have happened because I realised later that I've a habit, when looking at something on the screen, of unconsciously rubbing my left thumb along that part of the base. doh

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #658 on: January 29, 2013, 05:19 PM »

I'm sorry but was that directed to me, Ail?
No it certainly wasn't Zarfeen but I can see why you thought it might have been, and I apologise for that. hug
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Minor irritations « Reply #659 on: January 29, 2013, 05:20 PM »

Doing an awful lot of editing to your posts Aileen. I've refreshed the page three times now and all your messages were different. :P
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »