Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Murdoch's empire under fire 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murdoch's empire under fire  (Read 948 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 03:06 AM »

I thought Max Hastings was hilarious in yesterday's Daily Mail when he tried to come over all sanctimonious about the goings on in the NotW.  Come on, Max, the DM isn't squeaky clean either!  While the NotW has probably been more reprehensible than most, I think everyone knows that many other newspapers will do just about anything to get a story.

THE FINAL EDITION - yay

"After a 168 years we finally say a sad but proud farewell" yuk

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/_news/
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 09:16 AM »

Rebekah Brooks is the woman that was arrested for abuse against her then husband Ross Kemp (Grant Mitchell in Eastenders) but she was later released without charge, I really don't understand why Murdoch etc. are standing by a woman like this, she's not exactly squeeky clean on any front.  confused

Hadn't realised she was married to Ross Kemp and had wondered about the link when saw a photo of them together.  Had only just watched Ross in a documentary about armed services in Afghanistan.

I think everyone knows that many other newspapers will do just about anything to get a story.

I think some, if not most, will be waiting to see if they are named and shamed too.  Think
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #32 on: July 11, 2011, 03:57 AM »

I think some, if not most, will be waiting to see if they are named and shamed too.  Think
I think this sorry saga is set to run and run.

Now we wait to see what Cameron is going to do about Murdoch's bid to take over BSkyB.  If he allows it to go ahead public opinion will sway even further against him, but if he tries to block it, then I shudder to think what the evil Murdoch will come up with to undermine him.

Incidentally, apparently sales of the NotW went up by one-third yesterday, and I can believe it.  I looked at four shops that sell newspapers, and there wasn't a copy to be seen, which is most unusual.

However, there is also Ofcom to be considered in all this, and they could have the final say, although I still don't believe it'll save Cameron's bacon.

On Ofcom and the Seventh Sun  (Sounds like some crazy Japanese film! Very Happy)
By BBC's Business Editor, Robert Peston

"Here are some loosely connected musings on one of the most astonishing media and corporate stories of our age."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14081150
[ Last edit by Aileen July 11, 2011, 04:10 AM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #33 on: July 11, 2011, 07:28 PM »

How the world's media is reporting on Murdoch & Co: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14109531
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 07:41 PM »

How the world's media is reporting on Murdoch & Co: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14109531

I think this one makes a really good point

'With such a scale and tempo of snooping, every person on the British Isles could have been exhibited naked in their moments of love or grief in front of his countrymen. Certainly Murdoch is no more guilty than the two-and-a-half million people who rushed to the trough called the News of the World once a week in order to eat their fill. Everyone has his own freedom'

Even after the phone hacking scandal started to come out people were still buying the paper. The content of it anyone shows the level that many of the British public want from a paper-they want a scandal sheet, a non-glossy gossip mag that calls itself a paper.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 07:45 PM »

It's been said we get the media we deserve. The Sun is the most widely bought newspaper (?)  etc.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 07:50 PM »

It's been said we get the media we deserve. The Sun is the most widely bought newspaper (?)  etc.

Which is indeed a sad statement about British society today yes
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 07:53 PM »

Surely the readers are only to blame if they are buying the paper with knowledge that the stories are being published from unethical and illegal journalism?
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 07:55 PM »

Surely the readers are only to blame if they are buying the paper with knowledge that the stories are being published from unethical and illegal journalism?

Not saying that they are to 'blame' for the hacking. But it's more of a commentary on the intrusive 'we must know every sordid detail' attitude that prevails in the world due to ease of access through the media today.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 08:00 PM »

Yeah, I just don't like how the guy says it's equal blame - no need for such exaggeration. If I buy a mainstream newspaper, I hope the stories are from honest journalism.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 08:02 PM »

Yeah, I just don't like how the guy says it's equal blame - no need for such exaggeration. If I buy a mainstream newspaper, I hope the stories are from honest journalism.

that was a quote from a Russian paper btw, so of course the western culture is to blame Wink
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 08:03 PM »

Ah yes, makes sense Smile
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 08:03 PM »

Not saying that they are to 'blame' for the hacking. But it's more of a commentary on the intrusive 'we must know every sordid detail' attitude that prevails in the world due to ease of access through the media today.

Exactly, scandal and prurient details about "celebs" is what people seem to want to read Frown
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 08:38 PM »

Gordon Brown has now been identified as a previous target by the Sunday Times (another Murdoch paper).

There's just no way this takeover is happening - too many powerful people have either been embarrassed by showing support for them in the past or pissed off from being a target.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #44 on: July 11, 2011, 08:44 PM »

Gordon Brown has now been identified as a previous target by the Sunday Times (another Murdoch paper).

There's just no way this takeover is happening - too many powerful people have either been embarrassed by showing support for them in the past or pissed off from being a target.

yes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »