Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, Estimated time - 8:00pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Murdoch's empire under fire 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Murdoch's empire under fire

(Read 1176 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #45 on: July 11, 2011, 08:48 PM »

I am a little concerned though that with News Corp deliberately delaying their takeover bid by a year now, all this hostility towards it will have been forgotten by then.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #46 on: July 12, 2011, 06:46 AM »

Gordon Brown has now been identified as a previous target by the Sunday Times (another Murdoch paper).

There's just no way this takeover is happening - too many powerful people have either been embarrassed by showing support for them in the past or pissed off from being a target.
But Mark apparently Sarah Brown had Rebecca Brooks at Downing Street for a "sleep over," the mind boggles. The Murdoch empire has entwined its tentacles with our politicians ever since Blair went out of his way to court them.
Only three weeks ago Milliband was partying with them. Everyone is trying to back pedal furiously at the moment but its clear the proverbial "blind eye" has been turned for years and years.
And on the other side, we really do not need a muzzled press either. All very complicated.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #47 on: July 12, 2011, 11:18 AM »

But Mark apparently Sarah Brown had Rebecca Brooks at Downing Street for a "sleep over," the mind boggles. The Murdoch empire has entwined its tentacles with our politicians ever since Blair went out of his way to court them.
Only three weeks ago Milliband was partying with them. Everyone is trying to back pedal furiously at the moment but its clear the proverbial "blind eye" has been turned for years and years.
And on the other side, we really do not need a muzzled press either. All very complicated.

Least NoTW didn't have to hack her husbands phone to know what went on in No.10 that night Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #48 on: July 12, 2011, 03:42 PM »

I just proves a point that no one should be allowed to control so many newspapers in UK. It used to be that you had papers with different political views. Now the majority are all the same this has been allowed to happen and everyone is paying the price. The same rubbish and bland stories.

How the New of the World survived for so long I dont know. It also tells you a lot about the British public, who it appears are all too ready to consume the trash in this paper.                       

This government is also complicit in allowing the deal for BSkyB to almost go through. If Murdoch had not renaged on the agreement that Sky News would still be independant of BSkyB it would have allow the deal to go ahead.

Now the deal is off for the time being. No doubt Murdoch will come back in the future to conclude the deal.  I hope this government and any future government are more aware of what this entails.

Thousands of people do not want this deal to go through. Cameron has egg on his face perhaps he will listen to the voters and not allow this deal to be concluded.  The government of Tories or Labour have been far to close to Murdoch (To keep him on side) this is what happens when an organisation becomes too powerful.

It is rumoured that Murdoch wants to sell all the papers he owns in Uk and concentrate in the media eg, BSkyB which is more profitable than all his newspapers combined.

He is thinking about the future and all the money to be made.  He owns Fox in USA also newspaper there if what I have heard about News Corp. International, papers will be sold too as they are seen as loss making.  The name of the game is profits and they are not making money. Whistle
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #49 on: July 12, 2011, 03:47 PM »

If Murdoch had not renaged on the agreement that Sky News would still be independant of BSkyB it would have allow the deal to go ahead.
Unlikely, as they retracted the Sky News agreement to intentionally delay the takeover by a year. They wouldn't have done that if they were confident the deal would have gone ahead in the short-term.
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 04:54 PM »

The whole deal is kaput anyway so it is a fairly academic argument.  News Int executives are cowering hoping the situation won't get any worse, which it inevitably will.  I certainly would not like to be in the shoes of Murdoch Snr and Junior and Brookes when they appear before a Select Committee next week.

Murdoch has never been popular in the UK, and this feeding frenzy will go on for a while.  This is actually despite the fact that a lot of the allegations are nothing more than speculation, but at the moment allegation and truth are tantamount to the same thing.

This will all be for the good in the long-term but this is very uncomfortable for everyone right now.  It is not as if politicians have clean consciences in these matters either, given how they have been cosying up to the press for such a long time.

The UK written media has a terrible reputation worldwide anyway in terms of quality, so this won't make much of a difference really.

Murdoch's UK media empire will do well to survive this whole period the way things are going.  He owns far too much already.  I hear people say that the end of the News of the World might help him in terms of the media plurality issue, which I just think is utter nonsense.  If anything the opposite is true.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #51 on: July 12, 2011, 07:18 PM »

Actually, generally, British newspapers have (had, anyway) a very good reputation internationally...
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #52 on: July 12, 2011, 07:43 PM »

Actually, generally, British newspapers have (had, anyway) a very good reputation internationally...

Surely not the tabloid press  confused
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #53 on: July 12, 2011, 07:47 PM »

Yeah, that's true. But the tabloids don't claim to be quality press!

However, the UK tabloids do have a fearsome reputation for discovering stories - unfortunately, using some underhand messages, as we're seeing...
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #54 on: July 12, 2011, 07:56 PM »

Never mind Blair, Thatcher was great mates with him too.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #55 on: July 13, 2011, 12:08 PM »

You'd expect the Tories to cosy up though.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #56 on: July 13, 2011, 05:08 PM »

Murdoch withdraws bid for BSkyB Smile
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #57 on: July 13, 2011, 05:45 PM »

Yes......good news! I hope he's not just putting on a back burner though!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #58 on: July 16, 2011, 01:02 PM »

Signs of desperation as Murdoch places apology adverts in British newspapers.

[ Last edit by Mark July 16, 2011, 01:07 PM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murdoch's empire under fire « Reply #59 on: July 16, 2011, 02:08 PM »

I believe it's called 'damage limitation'!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »