Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Narnia is Brilliant! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Narnia is Brilliant!  (Read 1305 times)
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Narnia is Brilliant! « on: December 10, 2005, 08:21 AM »

Anyone else seen The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe?  Its great, a bit long but great!  If you havn't seen it .. go see it!

Can't wait for King Kong
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Narnia is Brilliant! « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 08:54 AM »

Going to see it Christmas Eve - usually go and see a Christmassy one but can't find one, so think this one will be a good one to watch.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Narnia is Brilliant! « Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 05:07 PM »

Will try and go and see it a.s.a.p  goodjob Although very preocupied with Christmas shopping at mo Wink
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Narnia is Brilliant! « Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 06:56 PM »

I'm going to see it tomorrow.
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

Narnia is Brilliant! « Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 01:00 AM »

narnia is a christmasy film!symbolism is soo strong in it
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Narnia is Brilliant! « Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 02:03 PM »

Had to change our plans, cinema at Hemel where we were gping is closed coz of explosion. Two of their screens were shattered by the blast.  Going later tonight somewhere else so will miss the start of sports personality.  Video to the rescue again!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Narnia is Brilliant! « Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 02:06 PM »

Glad you're able to see the film Josh - and don't forget to set the video!  Wink
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Narnia is Brilliant! « Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 02:10 PM »

Quote from: "iaintheviolaplayer"
narnia is a christmasy film!symbolism is soo strong in it

Don't know the story at all - not read the book.  Heard about the symbolism thing - the lion representing christ/jesus.
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

Narnia is Brilliant! « Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 02:15 PM »

well once uve read or it or i presume once u see it(though ive not seen it yet) its really obvious
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Narnia is Brilliant! « Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 11:08 PM »

Just got back from seeing it. *SPOILERS*

It truly is a great film - the acting is wonderful, the sets, costumes and makeup are fantastic, its believeable, well cast and beautifully shot. I haven't read the books but it was nearly everything i expected it to be. The battle scenes were immense, the animation very well done and the vistas were huge and inspiring.

and yet.....

I just didn't 'feel' it in the way I have other films. There are certainly emotional scenes - Peters battle cry (very very effective), the brothers hugging after the battle, even the opening train scenes.....but I just didn't feel involved in it, I felt entertained but not gripped. Might have been the music to some extent (not at all effective for most of the film), also the fast pacing leaves little room for emotional attachment (yes even to Lucy IMO). The American accents of the secret police also annoyed the hell out of me. Lord of the Rings (harping back to it again - sorry) really truly gripped me - totally absorbing...Narnia not so much. (there were also moments when I felt tempted to say 'thats so lord of the rings - not the story but the way it was shot) I don't know why...maybe my opinion would change with a second viewing....

Quote of the film - 'My name is Phillip'.
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

Narnia is Brilliant! « Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 11:16 PM »

ah yes here we get back to what we were discussing previously-music adding to a film, the pacing really taking away from it (i know this really applies to harry potter although ive not seen narnia).
btw narnia and lotr used same special effects company, the authors of both books were friends, both shot in new zealand and there are many more comparisons
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Narnia is Brilliant! « Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 11:21 PM »

btw narnia and lotr used same special effects company, the authors of both books were friends, both shot in new zealand and there are many more comparisons

yes i know Smile Been in oxford a term and i still haven't made it to the Eagle and Child! weta are legends, but my god the similarities show. Im sure some of the vistas are the same in both films Wink

Its the choice of some of the shots and angles that gets  me though - they are very very lord of the rings - the forging of weapons by the bad side, the pausing of the sound just before the battle clash (used by many directors yes, but with a very similar approach in the two films) and many more that currently escape me. Very Happy

and there was just some spark missing from narnia that was there for me in lotr....

re the pacing - my friends who have read the books say that they're similarly paced but have a lot more emotional detail - about how aslan makes the children feel. this is completely missing from the film - aslan is barely in it IMO - is this right?
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

Narnia is Brilliant! « Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 11:26 PM »

i did find it interesting that the director of n:tltwatw (if u want to do that lotr style) apprently flew all over new zealand by helicopter to try and find locations that wouldnt remind ppl of lotr and yet when ive seen the adverts i always feel that the locations are reminiscent of it
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Narnia is Brilliant! « Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 11:27 PM »

i did find it interesting that the director of n:tltwatw (if u want to do that lotr style) apprently flew all over new zealand by helicopter to try and find locations that wouldnt remind ppl of lotr and yet when ive seen the adverts i always feel that the locations are reminiscent of it

i think that new zealand has just become lotr now! but if he did do that he wasn't very effective....
this is only my opinion - i'm sure everyone else will have a completely different take on it Very Happy
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

Narnia is Brilliant! « Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 11:33 PM »

i think nz is definitely associated with lotr now altho ive got a friend who did a gap year there and some of the photos ive seen are more of the coast and look nothing like lotr at all
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »