Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake

(Read 4644 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « on: March 11, 2011, 06:44 AM »

Major quake has struck Japan - 8.8 with tsunami on its way.  Those poor people.

Quite horrific pictures of the tsunami sweeping across the land on CNN at the moment shocking

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709791

Mod NoticeMerged discussions in 'Natural Disasters ' and 'News Thread' to make this topic, therefore there will be some overlap.
[ Last edit by Mark March 11, 2011, 04:09 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:00 AM »

It appears that there are an alarming number of natural disasters so far this year - I don't know how they compare to other years. 

The latest country to attract the wrath of Mother Nature is Japan, with a massive 8.8 earthquake and subsequent tsunami warnings for a number of countries, including NZ.

This is from the NZ weather watch site and I would agree that the pictures on tv are quite horrific - people have no idea what's coming for them shocking

Gut wrenching footage of a huge wave slamming Japan's coast is being aired on all the main international news networks.  Cars racing to get away from the wave have been engulfed.  Homes and large buildings flattened in seconds, some exploding into flames.

The death toll is likely to be high judging by the footage.  The wall of water, estimated to be between 7 and 10 metres high is still moving down the coast and across the Pacific Ocean at the speed of a 747.

Pictures currently on the beeb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709791
[ Last edit by Mark March 11, 2011, 04:09 PM ] IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:12 AM »

One of my friends is in Japan, but he's ok, thank god.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:27 AM »

One of my friends is in Japan, but he's ok, thank god.

I'm glad to hear that.  Few deaths have been reported so far but I expect that to rise when emergency services can get into the affected areas. 

Those people working out in the farming areas had no idea what was coming towards them and had little chance to outrun it.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:30 AM »

Did someone say this was on its way to Hawaii too ?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:54 AM »

Did someone say this was on its way to Hawaii too ?

Yes. There has been someone on CNN giving approx times of when it's due to hit land.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 08:55 AM »

Yes. There has been someone on CNN giving approx times of when it's due to hit land.

What a nightmare ... all these poor people.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 09:01 AM »

They have no idea at the moment of possible wave height of the tsunami's.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:03 AM »

I just did a quick check and the West Coast of the US is also on alert!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 09:06 AM »

It used to be that these 'natural' disasters were occasional occurences. Now, we seem to lurch from one catastrophy to the next! It's worrying!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 09:08 AM »

I just did a quick check and the West Coast of the US is also on alert!

Fox news just saying the tsunami due to hit Hawaii 2.59 and talking about west  coast now as I type.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 09:10 AM »

It used to be that these 'natural' disasters were occasional occurences. Now, we seem to lurch from one catastrophy to the next! It's worrying!

There are those amongst us that will say that they knew this was going to happen and that it will get worse before it gets better.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 09:12 AM »

I'm wondering about these faults in the plates - I don't really understand seismic activity - bet Buhweet could explain it ... but, I'd think that when one plate crashes into another it has a large knock on effect.  I wonder if different faults can affect each other, or if one fault line causes earthquakes related to it and it alone etc ........ (convoluted thinking, no ...  Very Happy)
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 09:25 AM »

There are those amongst us that will say that they knew this was going to happen and that it will get worse before it gets better.
Oh? Could you enlighten us?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake « Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 10:02 AM »

Oh? Could you enlighten us?

Events such as this leading up to the 2012 phenomenon.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »