Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  New Years Honours 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

New Years Honours 2012

(Read 742 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

New Years Honours 2012 « on: January 01, 2012, 06:30 AM »

Anyone else think it's ridiculous that golfer Rory McIlroy should have been awarded an MBE at the age of just 22?

My own feeling is that nobody under the age of 30 should get an award of any kind.  The whole system is so unfair with many well-deserving people having to wait until they're twice McIlroy's age, or older, before they get such recognition.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: New Years Honours 2012 « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 08:33 AM »

Anyone else think it's ridiculous that golfer Rory McIlroy should have been awarded an MBE at the age of just 22?

My own feeling is that nobody under the age of 30 should get an award of any kind.  The whole system is so unfair with many well-deserving people having to wait until they're twice McIlroy's age, or older, before they get such recognition.
Totally agree with you.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: New Years Honours 2012 « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:26 AM »

Jonny Wilkinson was 23 when he got his MBE and there have been younger recipients, the youngest is Ellie Simmonds, a paraolympian swimmer, who was 14 years old when she recieved hers.

As soon as Andy gets that 1st grand slam in the bag, I expect he will be up for an accolade or two.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: New Years Honours 2012 « Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:48 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks that the whole awards system needs a major overhaul?  Giving people awards for merely doing their job and being paid very well for it does not sit easily with me - I'm probably thinking mostly actors/entertainers here.  Sportsmen/women who bring 'glory' to the nation are maybe a slightly different case but I feel if there are awards at all they should go to the unsung heroes who give freely of their time, money and energies with no thought of reward to themselves. 

The whole nomenclature thing also grates with me - we no longer have a 'British Empire' so to have 'members' etc just doesn't sit right somehow.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: New Years Honours 2012 « Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 02:20 PM »

My own feeling is that nobody under the age of 30 should get an award of any kind.  The whole system is so unfair with many well-deserving people having to wait until they're twice McIlroy's age, or older, before they get such recognition.

Why have you specifically chosen 30?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: New Years Honours 2012 « Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 02:52 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks that the whole awards system needs a major overhaul?  Giving people awards for merely doing their job and being paid very well for it does not sit easily with me - I'm probably thinking mostly actors/entertainers here.  Sportsmen/women who bring 'glory' to the nation are maybe a slightly different case but I feel if there are awards at all they should go to the unsung heroes who give freely of their time, money and energies with no thought of reward to themselves. 

The whole nomenclature thing also grates with me - we no longer have a 'British Empire' so to have 'members' etc just doesn't sit right somehow.

It's when they give them to lollipop ladies that I get mad. It just devalues the whole thing. An old schoolfriend of mine got an MBE - just for doing his job working in social housing.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: New Years Honours 2012 « Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 03:06 PM »

You know who should get awards the people who do voluntary work for years and help support people in their homes. I worked as a carer for years. The people who look after relatives and get no help what so ever and are taken for granted. If they stopped working the welfare system would grind to a halt. So much for Cameron's big society. Those poor elderly people are lucky if they see someone once a day. They are frail and needs to be washed dressed and fed. The relatives who look after them are the ones who should get awards. They are very lucky if they get  a brake for a week or so. The frail and the elderly are as usual at the bottom of the heap once you have stopped working your value to society is seen as nil.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: New Years Honours 2012 « Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 03:34 PM »

I agree - I don't think people should get awards just for doing their jobs - whether they are lollipop ladies, entertainers or whatever.  In fact, I see even less value in those who get huge rewards for what they do getting additional honours for merely being in the public eye.  

In my early years of teaching I worked for a Headmaster who was given an OBE for his 'services to education' merely because he knew the right people.  He was quite the most objectionable man I have ever worked for and he was a hopeless Headteacher - his deputy ran the school because the Head cared not a jot for the staff or the children while self-engrandisment was very high on his agenda.

We have huge numbers of 'un-sung heroes' in this country who give their time and energy devotedly on a day to day basis - in my view, it is they who we should be honouring.
[ Last edit by Alis January 01, 2012, 04:16 PM ] IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: New Years Honours 2012 « Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 04:00 PM »

My brother got an OBE years ago for stuff he done in Iran helping to set up their new government and help with reconstruction.

To the best of my knowledge he has it in a drawer somewhere gathering dust and does not use the letters after his name.

I can't see the point to them, the awards or the Royals. However, the twice I met Anna last year she was pleasent enough though.
[ Last edit by AL1874 January 01, 2012, 04:04 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: New Years Honours 2012 « Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 07:20 AM »

My brother got an OBE years ago for stuff he done in Iran helping to set up their new government and help with reconstruction.

To the best of my knowledge he has it in a drawer somewhere gathering dust and does not use the letters after his name.

I can't see the point to them, the awards or the Royals. However, the twice I met Anna last year she was pleasent enough though.

My understanding is that they can be turned down.

The Royals, love them or hate them, bring a lot of money into the UK - the royal wedding last year proved that.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: New Years Honours 2012 « Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 09:55 AM »

I'm not in any way anti-royal I just think the awards system is outdated and needs reviewing.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: New Years Honours 2012 « Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 12:22 PM »

I'm happy Chris Paterson got an MBE Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: New Years Honours 2012 « Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 12:52 PM »

I'm not in any way anti-royal I just think the awards system is outdated and needs reviewing.
My sentiments entirely.  And I agree with most of what has been said on this page.  Handing them out willy-nilly to people just because they've done the same boring job for years is totally unfair.  Recipients should have achieved something really worthwhile, which is why I used the age 30 as a benchmark.  How many people can achieve great things in less than that?  Also why do some who deserve them have to wait decades before they're recognised?  McIlroy wins the US Open at 22 and gets an MBE.  Clarke wins the British Open at 43 and finally gets an OBE.  Yet who's given the longest service to golf?

I'm happy Chris Paterson got an MBE Very Happy
CP thoroughly deserved his after all that he has given to Scottish rugby over the past few years.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: New Years Honours 2012 « Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 01:01 PM »

McIlroy wins the US Open at 22 and gets an MBE.  Clarke wins the British Open at 43 and finally gets an OBE.  Yet who's given the longest service to golf?

Astonished that McIlroy got one. To be fair, though, British Open aside, Clarke hasn't exactly had an amazing career.

For me, this is the trouble with golf. I'm not saying that Clarke was a flukey winner of the Open, but you do get lots of dodgy major winners. I reckon the reason for this is cos the majors are no different to normal tour events - they're played over four days, just the same.

Compare that to tennis majors, which have seven rounds, instead of the usual four or five, and best-of-five matches instead of three. Sorts the wheat from the chaff.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: New Years Honours 2012 « Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 01:32 PM »

Astonished that McIlroy got one. To be fair, though, British Open aside, Clarke hasn't exactly had an amazing career.

For me, this is the trouble with golf. I'm not saying that Clarke was a flukey winner of the Open, but you do get lots of dodgy major winners. I reckon the reason for this is cos the majors are no different to normal tour events - they're played over four days, just the same.

Compare that to tennis majors, which have seven rounds, instead of the usual four or five, and best-of-five matches instead of three. Sorts the wheat from the chaff.
I'm not a golfing fan, but I see your point about the difference in majors.  Clarke, though, may not have had an amazing career, but he's certainly been around a lot longer than McIroy.  Also McIlroy blotted his copy-book at the British Open, moaning about the dreadful weather and course conditions and blaming it for his poor performance, saying that he preferred the hotter climate of the US.  Then he goes and messes up his wrist in a tournament in Atlanta by, unbelievably, trying to hit a ball from behind a tree root.  Quite amazing that from a pro!  Only won two minor titles towards the year's end after that.  
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »