Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 504 [505] 506 507 508 ... 609 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 236592 times)
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7560 on: December 14, 2012, 11:26 PM »

Just. So. Sad. I can barely comment...
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7561 on: December 15, 2012, 06:29 AM »

Terribly, terribly sad and with echoes of the Dunblane tragedy, it's bound to stir up so many bad memories too.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Thread « Reply #7562 on: December 15, 2012, 09:14 AM »

Dreadful.  'When will they every learn?'  re gun control.   Obama visibly upset.  Perhaps this will galvanise him finally to take the guns lobby on.
Yes I'm sure it will bring back bad memories for Andy.  But at least, according to Kev's piece yesterday Andy now finds it easier to talk about Dunblane.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7563 on: December 15, 2012, 09:24 AM »

All so unbearably sad! Those poor parents! I can't even begin to imagine.........
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7564 on: December 15, 2012, 11:33 AM »

How can ordinary people in the USA continue to have the right to have guns. There should be much stricter laws about gun ownership. Those poor people who have lost sons or daughter by this cruel man who took away the lives of young children. I cannot understand why it is so easy to purchase a gun in the USA and why people can have such easy access to guns. It is time for Obama to bite the bullet and introduce laws about gun control.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Thread « Reply #7565 on: December 15, 2012, 11:58 AM »

I can't even begin to imagine the pain those parents who have lost their children must be going through. For the next few days I have my little nephew and niece, aged four and two, staying with me with their Mum and Dad. Every time I look at them I can't help wondering what kind of person would want to hurt young children? It's unimagineable.

I'm sure anyone who has been through the same sort of thing will have memories stirred up by this latest tragedy. My thoughts are with them too.

God willing this horror will be a catalyst for change now. If this doesn't change something you have to wonder what will.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7566 on: December 15, 2012, 12:47 PM »

IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7567 on: December 16, 2012, 02:12 AM »

PICTURED: The mother of massacre gunman Adam Lanza who taught son how to shoot before he went on killing rampage

*Nancy Lanza, 52, was killed by her son, Adam Lanza, before he massacred 26 people and killed himself at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut
*Nancy Lanza once showed off a 'high-end rifle' to family friend Dan Holmes and recalled 'she was proud of it... she loved her guns'
*The mother had five guns registered to her name, two of which Adam Lanza used to carry out the execution-style killings
*A third gun belonging to Nancy Lanza was found in the back of the car that Adam Lanza drove to Sandy Hook Elementary
*Peers remember Adam Lanza as a quiet and extremely intelligent student who kept to himself and carried black briefcase to class
*Brother Ryan, 24, an accountant at Ernst and Young, said Adam had personality disorder

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2248645/She-target-shooting-kids-Nancy-Lanza-mother-murderer-Adam-Lanza-avid-gun-collector-taught-sons-use-firearms.html#ixzz2FB0Tl0GZ

I can't understand why anyone would want to teach a child to shoot a gun?  The last thing I'd want to see a child holding is a gun.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Thread « Reply #7568 on: December 16, 2012, 08:31 AM »

I just cried my heart out when I read this in the newspapers and the news coverage on TV....
It is so sad that I just dunno why on earth would anybody wanna do this to such small children who have so many years more to live.
I really appreciate the school teachers and the principal who came out and protected them selflessly...
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Thread « Reply #7569 on: December 16, 2012, 04:24 PM »

I know the courage of some of the teachers does at least restore faith in human nature. 
Andy's facebook message can be found on news stories thread. 
It will be bringing awful memories back for those who lost loved ones in Dunblane.   I hope they can take some comfort from what Andy has brought the town and hope he does well tonight for Dunblane as well as himself.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7570 on: December 17, 2012, 07:14 AM »

Just heard on Radio 4, don't know if it's true, that the gunman's mother was a member of  some "the end of the world is nigh" group and had been amassing an arsenal of guns.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7571 on: December 17, 2012, 11:50 AM »

Just want to add I am sure the people of Scotland and the rest of the UK would want to send their condolences to the people of Newburgh in the USA. We know all about the sorrow they must feel and the utter waste of young lives and the lost of those teachers too. We remember Dunblane and the waste of innocent lives. I hope the the US government will take a strong hand and stop guns being so easily obtained I am sure our thoughts will go out to those families who lost members of their families.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7572 on: December 17, 2012, 12:11 PM »

America isn't the only country who should be putting their house in order re guns. It's far too easy to get one in the UK for my liking!
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7573 on: December 17, 2012, 01:20 PM »

Just want to add I am sure the people of Scotland and the rest of the UK would want to send their condolences to the people of Newburgh in the USA. We know all about the sorrow they must feel and the utter waste of young lives and the lost of those teachers too. We remember Dunblane and the waste of innocent lives. I hope the the US government will take a strong hand and stop guns being so easily obtained I am sure our thoughts will go out to those families who lost members of their families.

Newtown?

IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7574 on: December 17, 2012, 01:24 PM »

The thing is, Connecticut has some of the strictest gun control laws in the US. Gun laws are largely regulated by states, not the federal government. It's likely that the guns obtained were purchased from a different state.

Anyways, I doubt the government (Congress, mostly) will really do much to curb the buying and selling of semiautomatics and magazines. Besides the fact that this is an area of policy that has been given to states, the NRA is a pretty big financial contributor to Congress through PACs. Also, a large part of the US constituency is part of the NRA/gun-toting group, so representatives will have a difficult time deciding between creating federal gun control laws and keeping their jobs as elected officials (and by difficult, I mean easy).
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 504 [505] 506 507 508 ... 609 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »