Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 532 [533] 534 535 536 ... 610 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 249668 times)
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Thread « Reply #7980 on: May 13, 2013, 09:41 PM »

A man is facing criminal charges for having sex with his pet animal peacock.
If,s he's found guilty, he,ll then become a jail bird.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Thread « Reply #7981 on: May 13, 2013, 09:59 PM »

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7982 on: May 21, 2013, 11:37 AM »

And we moan about the weather in this country!

Scores killed by 200 mph tornado

More than 90 people are feared dead, including 20 children, after a huge tornado ripped through an Oklahoma town destroying scores of homes and a primary school.

At least 51 victims have been confirmed dead but rescuers, working though the night to sift through the debris, estimate another 40 bodies remain to be found.

The half-mile-wide tornado hit the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore in the US Midwest with winds of 200 mph. It smashed its way across the community of 41,000 for 45 minutes Homes were crushed into piles of broken wood. Cars and trucks were left crumpled on the roadside.

More than 120 people were being treated at hospitals, including about 50 children.

President Barack Obama declared a major disaster and ordered federal aid to supplement state and local recovery efforts. State governor Mary Fallin said the search for survivors went on, adding: "Hearts are broken" for parents looking for their children.

Full story: http://news.uk.msn.com/world/dozens-killed-by-200mph-tornado

IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #7983 on: May 21, 2013, 12:05 PM »

And we moan about the weather in this country!

Scores killed by 200 mph tornado

More than 90 people are feared dead, including 20 children, after a huge tornado ripped through an Oklahoma town destroying scores of homes and a primary school.

At least 51 victims have been confirmed dead but rescuers, working though the night to sift through the debris, estimate another 40 bodies remain to be found.

The half-mile-wide tornado hit the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore in the US Midwest with winds of 200 mph. It smashed its way across the community of 41,000 for 45 minutes Homes were crushed into piles of broken wood. Cars and trucks were left crumpled on the roadside.

More than 120 people were being treated at hospitals, including about 50 children.

President Barack Obama declared a major disaster and ordered federal aid to supplement state and local recovery efforts. State governor Mary Fallin said the search for survivors went on, adding: "Hearts are broken" for parents looking for their children.

Full story: http://news.uk.msn.com/world/dozens-killed-by-200mph-tornado

The video footage is scary, if you've seen the movie 'Twister' this is something very similar.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7984 on: May 21, 2013, 12:43 PM »

I read this tornado was 2 miles wide which is apparently rare. In the movie Twister, I think it was 1 mile wide and that was meant to be an exaggeration.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7985 on: May 21, 2013, 02:39 PM »

Death toll has been revised to 24, not 51.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22605586#TWEET763344
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7986 on: May 21, 2013, 03:04 PM »

Thank goodness, although still a tragic number.

I understand Obama is due to speak any minute now.  (See link above)

In fact he's just begun.

[ Last edit by Aileen May 21, 2013, 03:07 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7987 on: May 21, 2013, 03:18 PM »

Havign just listened, I must say that Obama, whether you love him or loathe him, does seem to handle crises like these very well, inspiring confidence and offering encouragement and support.

I'm afraid the very thought of our dear beloved wishy-washy David Cameron having to cope with such a crisis fills me with trepidation!
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7988 on: May 21, 2013, 04:00 PM »

just lip service , the churches in and around the state will do all the heavey lifting ,long after it has ceased to be news.  remember Katrina ,some are still waiting for help in their communities.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7989 on: May 21, 2013, 04:51 PM »

I think people will understand it'll take a very long time to sort this mess out, but at least Obama is making the sort of comforting noises they want to hear.  Dubya always came across to me, and most folk in the UK, as a bumbling but dangerous buffoon - and I use the word 'dangerous' because of what he, and his poodle Blair, did in Iraq, much to the severe detriment of that country.

I could be wrong, but doubt that Obama will show the same incompetence as Bush and his administration did in the wake of Katrina.  Hopefully, as out own politicians are so fond of saying but rarely put into practice, lessons will have been learned.
IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: News Thread « Reply #7990 on: May 22, 2013, 05:10 AM »

What about the incompetence Obama showed after Sandy?

And the incompetence you claim the Bush admin showed, can actually mostly be blamed on the Democratic governor and mayor of Louisiana and New Orleans at the time.

Bush certainly had a way with words, but he was already great at comforting people. Especially soldiers and their loved ones.

Obama is so annoying. He can't talk at all! He....uh...umm...well...uh...umm...talks...um.... ...........like.....um...uh....well....like this...

when he doesnt have a prepared speech. He's so pathetic. And now look at all these scandals? Sleazy... SLEAZY.

Say what you want about Bush...he had zero scandals.  

rant over.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7991 on: May 22, 2013, 09:22 AM »

When there is an opportunity to blame Obama and the democrats for something... Tommy returns Smile
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7992 on: May 22, 2013, 09:52 AM »

Cheers Mark, was wondering WTH Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7993 on: May 22, 2013, 10:21 AM »

Tommy, I just want to point out that Republican Senators Tom Coburn and James Inhofe voted against aid for Sandy victims. Today they happily receive aid now they need it.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7994 on: May 22, 2013, 04:24 PM »

Seems a little dodgy on the surface but I suppose he was dangerous. You never know, he might be alive and in witness protection like the movies Smile

Man questioned in Boston Marathon bombing shot, killed by FBI
[ Last edit by Mark May 22, 2013, 04:27 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 532 [533] 534 535 536 ... 610 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »