Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 535 [536] 537 538 539 ... 578 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: News Thread  (Read 213633 times)
FCR
Futures Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8025 on: May 24, 2013, 09:27 PM »

hug
<SNIP>
Back then though it wasn't the Muslims who were the trouble-makers but the West Indians who, amongst other things, seemed to practically run the transport system.  I had no colour prejudice before I went there, but my opinion changed after I was a victim of racial abuse on several occasions.   Being spat at and called 'white trash' as well as a few other unsavoury things in your own country by these arrogant w**s was pretty hard to stomach.
The 1948 British Nationality Act gave British citizenship to all people living in Commonwealth countries, and full rights of entry and settlement in Britain. The first to respond was a group of 500 Jamaicans who arrived in London on board the ship the ‘Empire Windrush’.

The floodgates opened post-war when there was a shortage of labour, especially within British Rail, London Transport and the Health Service.

When I was at grammar school (do you remember those) in Greenwich in the late 50s-early 60s a girl from the Caribbean joined in the 3rd year.  A glimpse of life back then.

Did you go to the City of London College?  My secretarial training was during my employment with British-American Tobacco in Millbank.  Such good memories.  How times have changed and not for the better!!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Thread « Reply #8026 on: May 24, 2013, 09:51 PM »

hug

I lived in London for three years in the early 1960s, first because I went to a secretarial college for a year, and then I got quite a good job, but to be honest I hated the place and only did it all to please my mother because she thought it would be a good experience for me.  Even in those days I never felt safe outside, and at college we were advised to carry an umbrella as a form of self-defence at all times when out and about, so goodness knows what it's like now.

Back then though it wasn't the Muslims who were the trouble-makers but the West Indians who, amongst other things, seemed to practically run the transport system.  I had no colour prejudice before I went there, but my opinion changed after I was a victim of racial abuse on several occasions.   Being spat at and called 'white trash' as well as a few other unsavoury things in your own country by these arrogant w**s was pretty hard to stomach.
Any form of racial abuse is disgusting.  People should live and let live.  However, that concept seems to escape many.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8027 on: May 24, 2013, 10:01 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/02/birmingham-murder-racially-motivated-police

Sad all around.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8028 on: May 24, 2013, 10:07 PM »

^ Totally sad that people need to die because of another person's belief system.  I do believe that's the definition of fanaticism.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8029 on: May 24, 2013, 10:07 PM »

Indeed. By the way, that's from a few weeks ago in case you didn't realise.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8030 on: May 24, 2013, 10:50 PM »

Indeed. By the way, that's from a few weeks ago in case you didn't realise.

I realise. It came up on my news feed today though.

Didn't say it was in connection to the recent murder or anything.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8031 on: May 24, 2013, 11:14 PM »

Being spat at and called 'white trash' as well as a few other unsavoury things in your own country by these arrogant w**s was pretty hard to stomach.

That's one that's used here - my own daughters being the subject of the abuse. It says so much about the upbring of the people dishing it out.

I don't have a problem with immigrants (being one myself) but what I do have a problem with is the inequality. We had to jump hoops to get in New Zealand, had to support ourselves for at least 2 years and not be a burden on the health or benefits system. Now if that happened to everyone moving to a new country, then some services wouldn't be at breaking point.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8032 on: May 24, 2013, 11:23 PM »

That's one that's used here - my own daughters being the subject of the abuse. It says so much about the upbring of the people dishing it out.

I don't have a problem with immigrants (being one myself) but what I do have a problem with is the inequality. We had to jump hoops to get in New Zealand, had to support ourselves for at least 2 years and not be a burden on the health or benefits system. Now if that happened to everyone moving to a new country, then some services wouldn't be at breaking point.
I suppose you'd have hoops to jump through in a different country.  Aileen shouldn't have gone through that in London, and effectively, her own country.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8033 on: May 24, 2013, 11:50 PM »

No she shouldn't and I was in no way getting at Aileen at all.

People going into the UK need to jump hoops but they don't.  We had to speak English to move into New Zealand and coud have been requested to participate in a test to prove that and at a cost to ourselves. That doesn't happen in the UK.

Oh I should add that if we broke the law before being granted indefinite return status on our visas then we were out!
[ Last edit by Bevc May 25, 2013, 12:02 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8034 on: May 24, 2013, 11:54 PM »

Any form of racial abuse is disgusting.  People should live and let live.  However, that concept seems to escape many.

Headline news for Sky news Australia is an AFL player being racially abused during a match last night. naughty The woman concerned was removed from the stadium.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8035 on: May 25, 2013, 12:01 AM »

No she shouldn't and I was in no way getting at Aileen at all.

Oh I should add that if we broke the law before being granted indefinite return status on our visas then we were out!

Immigration is really difficult. I remember the ridiculousness of moving to the US, albeit vaguely since I was a kid.

Moving to the UK will be a long and expensive process. Not looking forward to it at all.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8036 on: May 25, 2013, 12:07 AM »

I think it does depend on where you're from and where you're going. If you're from a country in the EU then you can pretty much up sticks and land in the UK, no questions asked.  We can live and work in Australia once we become New Zealand citizens but we wouldn't be able to claim any benefits if we became unemployed. Not sure how we would go on with the health system.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8037 on: May 25, 2013, 12:12 AM »

The 1948 British Nationality Act gave British citizenship to all people living in Commonwealth countries, and full rights of entry and settlement in Britain. The first to respond was a group of 500 Jamaicans who arrived in London on board the ship the ‘Empire Windrush’.

The floodgates opened post-war when there was a shortage of labour, especially within British Rail, London Transport and the Health Service.

When I was at grammar school (do you remember those) in Greenwich in the late 50s-early 60s a girl from the Caribbean joined in the 3rd year.  A glimpse of life back then.

Did you go to the City of London College?  My secretarial training was during my employment with British-American Tobacco in Millbank.  Such good memories.  How times have changed and not for the better!!
No, I went to St Godrics College in Hampstead.  It was a fairly sheltered life there because the college had its own hostels, and there were strict rules as to what time we had to be back by, particularly on Fridays and Saturdays when we were allowed to stay out later ('later' being 11:00 pm unless you were considered to be sensible enough to get a late pass until midnight).  Also we had to sign a book saying where we were going.  A lot of the girls grumbled about these rules, but, having been at boarding school for 9 years, they didn't bother me and in fact I thought they were quite sensible.

Unfortunately though I was allocated a bed in their one hostel that wasn't close to the college but was a mile's walk away on the edge of the Heath - a haven for prostitutes, kerb crawlers and goodness knows who else.  Also the walk from Hampstead tube station took you up a long poorly lit road onto the heath which had bushes on one side and a few small houses on the other, and so it was pretty creepy in the dark.

I'm truly sorry to hear that Bev especially as I was a teenager myself when I was subjected to this, and it was pretty intimidating as well as being extremely unpleasant.  I reckon one reason I might have been specially picked on was because I was what you might call a typical pale-skinned, fair-haired white Anglo-Saxon, but as I never mentioned it to anybody I don't really know.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8038 on: May 25, 2013, 12:18 AM »

I think it does depend on where you're from and where you're going. If you're from a country in the EU then you can pretty much up sticks and land in the UK, no questions asked.  We can live and work in Australia once we become New Zealand citizens but we wouldn't be able to claim any benefits if we became unemployed. Not sure how we would go on with the health system.
There's a lot to be said for the UK in terms of health benefits.  You turn up and you get treated, and mostly by very pleasant people.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8039 on: May 25, 2013, 12:30 AM »

There's a lot to be said for the UK in terms of health benefits.  You turn up and you get treated, and mostly by very pleasant people.
Yes, but what about foreigners who come to the UK just so as they can leech off our NHS which is stretched to the limit?  If people wish to be treated here then, unless it's an emergency, they should have to pay for it either out of their own pockets or through health insurance schemes.
[ Last edit by Aileen May 25, 2013, 12:34 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 535 [536] 537 538 539 ... 578 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »