Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 545 [546] 547 548 549 ... 606 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 232113 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8175 on: June 25, 2013, 05:17 PM »

I highly doubt he knows the locations of many agents.
It was my understanding that a system administrator sees everything for them to be able to do their job.

It makes sense too if you relate it to any ordinary business - the tech guys in an IT department are going to potentially know a lot more about what is going on than a senior manager. They are having to monitor email servers and dive into people's Outlook inboxes when things go wrong client side.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8176 on: June 25, 2013, 05:21 PM »

Indeed. I'm not automatically against a surveillance state but it needs to be understood and voted in by the public. If the public decide that privacy is worth entirely sacrificing for the sake of preventing something that is less likely to kill them than falling in their bathtub, then the people have spoken. But right now they have no say.

What is less likely to kill them? A terrorist attack?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8177 on: June 25, 2013, 05:22 PM »

What is less likely to kill them? A terrorist attack?
Correct.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8178 on: June 25, 2013, 05:25 PM »

Correct.

Graham Allison puts the chances of a nuclear bomb being set off in an American city in the next decade at 50%. Others put it at around 30%.

It is not a remote possibility.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8179 on: June 25, 2013, 05:27 PM »

Debate on the probability of nuclear terrorism:

http://www.cfr.org/weapons-of-mass-destruction/likely-nuclear-terrorist-attack-united-states/p13097
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8180 on: June 25, 2013, 05:34 PM »

You see, the potential for that sort of case being made is exactly why I'm not automatically against a surveillance state.

We need to debate the benefits of throwing away our privacy because it could well turn out the public will vote for it. Having the government make this massive change in history through secret courts is completely undemocratic.

Whatever happens, one thing is for sure, we need transparency on oversight because the biggest risk here is abuse of this surveillance.
[ Last edit by Mark June 25, 2013, 05:38 PM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8181 on: June 25, 2013, 05:42 PM »

You see, the potential for that sort of case being made is exactly why I'm not automatically against a surveillance state.

We need to debate the benefits of throwing away our privacy because it could well turn out the public will vote for it. Having the government make this massive change in history through secret courts is completely undemocratic.

Whatever happens, one thing is for sure, we need transparency on oversight because the biggest risk here is abuse of this surveillance.

The problem is that we can't really judge what is and isn't abuse. We know so little compared to intelligence agencies that we cannot possibly have an informed opinion. Moreover, we should know less. Security demands that we be kept in the dark about many things.

It's not nearly as black and white as many people seem to think.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8182 on: June 25, 2013, 05:49 PM »

By abuse I was simply referring to the use of anti-terrorist surveillance for something completely different, such as spying on a politician in a run up to an election.

We can make a judgement on whether NSA is truly held accountable and whether those oversight measures have integrity. But we need some transparency on that first which I think is a reasonable request. I don't want to know the details of each case so I can see if there is abuse, I just want to make sure I can trust those that do.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8183 on: July 03, 2013, 08:11 PM »

Military coup in Egypt. Army went into president's building and told him he was no longer president.

Huge celebrations. I suppose it's good news for the people but bad news in someways for democracy.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Thread « Reply #8184 on: July 03, 2013, 08:13 PM »

Military coup in Egypt. Army went into president's building and told him he was no longer president.

Huge celebrations. I suppose it's good news for the people but bad news in someways for democracy.
But hey ho!  Andy won.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: News Thread « Reply #8185 on: July 03, 2013, 08:16 PM »

It was a very weak from of democracy lets face it.
[ Last edit by drchef July 03, 2013, 08:42 PM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8186 on: July 14, 2013, 11:14 AM »

George Zimmerman found not guilty.

I've been keeping up-to-date with this and this was my bet yesterday as well - it's the right verdict based on the lack of evidence.
[ Last edit by Mark July 14, 2013, 12:24 PM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Thread « Reply #8187 on: July 14, 2013, 11:25 AM »

I've been keeping up-to-date with this and this was my bet yesterday as well - it's the right verdict based on the lack of evidence.

A little surprising.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Thread « Reply #8188 on: July 14, 2013, 11:53 AM »

Cory Monteith has been found dead in a hotel room in Canada-they don't seem to know the cause yet,or at least haven't released it.

He was only 31,and always seemed like a really nice guy.So heartbreaking.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8189 on: July 14, 2013, 01:06 PM »

OJ Simpson Part II, everyone.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 545 [546] 547 548 549 ... 606 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »