Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 563 [564] 565 566 567 ... 578 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: News Thread  (Read 213921 times)
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #8445 on: September 23, 2013, 12:25 AM »

Although I know you were young and innocent, Aileen, and having child-like fun, have a think about how that would look nowadays:

A bunch of young kids running about the streets with imitation toy handguns playing Shoot The Indians - which in real life meant Let's kill the first nation peoples, let's introduce them to alcohol, steal their land, and kill them if they try to protect it.

You learned this play-acting of Cowboys and Indians through television and movies, but it perpetuated the myth of first nation peoples being the bad guys.

Even back then, you as a child were influenced by what you saw and heard. And even now, you still think it was just playing.

But you can't transfer the now time to the then time.    It was innocent in its time.    None of us could say, for instance, that we would have spoken out against slavery had we lived in that time.    I have always hoped that I would have realised that slavery was wrong but I can't be sure.   We are all a product of our time.    Incidentally I did read some time ago that North America was colonised by Europeans before the Red Indians arrived.   Who knows?   
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Thread « Reply #8446 on: September 23, 2013, 12:36 AM »

I posted the pics to show how the kids are desensitised to guns. It's like they are out shopping for groceries with ma and pa.

It was very bizarre for me to witness that.

This store is part of a large chain across the US.

Everything kids do from a young age are 'innocent.' They copy adult behaviour and are incredibly susceptible to their surroundings, be it media, movies, gaming, music, reading material.

But most of all.. adult behaviours. That's why it's up to we adults to learn from the past and demonstrate appropriate behaviours.

Didn't know about the Europeans colonising North America iluvandy, but interested to find out more about that.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8447 on: September 23, 2013, 12:46 AM »

I posted this in another thread about a month ago, but seems worth repeating here..

I'm not even sure what to say. Talk about sending shivers down the spine.

I post on an American tennis website and I remember a thread about guns after the Sandy Hook shootings and some posters were stunned that we Brits don't own guns. They were even more stunned when I informed them that our police officers don't patrol the UK armed. They couldn't comprehend how I could feel safe.

"The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" NRA Chief.

After the most recent shooting he said, "When the good guys with guns turned up it stopped". 

The gun lobby is just too powerful in the US. As far as they're concerned every tragedy could be averted or less horrific if more guns had been involved. How can you argue with that logic?
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8448 on: September 23, 2013, 12:57 AM »

I posted the pics to show how the kids are desensitised to guns. It's like they are out shopping for groceries with ma and pa.

It was very bizarre for me to witness that.

This store is part of a large chain across the US.

Everything kids do from a young age are 'innocent.' They copy adult behaviour and are incredibly susceptible to their surroundings, be it media, movies, gaming, music, reading material.

But most of all.. adult behaviours. That's why it's up to we adults to learn from the past and demonstrate appropriate behaviours.

Didn't know about the Europeans colonising North America iluvandy, but interested to find out more about that.

When my 6-year old niece visited Paris she was quite frightened to see armed police at the Eiffel Tower.  She didn't like the armed police at Glasgow Airport either.  She'd never seen a gun before. I can't say I liked it either.  I don't pretend to understand any person having an obsession with a gun. I don't understand why anybody would want to own one. Why any person would want to see their child hold a gun, fire a gun or kill an animal with a gun. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8449 on: September 23, 2013, 01:37 AM »

Although I know you were young and innocent, Aileen, and having child-like fun, have a think about how that would look nowadays:

A bunch of young kids running about the streets with imitation toy handguns playing Shoot The Indians - which in real life meant Let's kill the first nation peoples, let's introduce them to alcohol, steal their land, and kill them if they try to protect it.

You learned this play-acting of Cowboys and Indians through television and movies, but it perpetuated the myth of first nation peoples being the bad guys.

Even back then, you as a child were influenced by what you saw and heard. And even now, you still think it was just playing.
Of course I still think that it was just playing.  How else were we supposed to think at that age (probably 7/8 years old)?   Yes we were brought up on a steady diet of westerns in the local cinemas (TV being almost unknown in Scotland then) and heard comments like "The only good Injun is a dead Injun" -  but these were films made in the US where having a gun was the norm and the fear and dislike of the indigenous population was ingrained in them, but at that age we were way too young to know anything about the history of the US.  Also we couldn't relate to these films any more than we could to the many about pirates roaming the high seas because it was of no relevance to us.  Also, not that we were little angels by any means, but back in that era children were much more innocent and naive than they are now - and even today how many young children know very much about American, or indeed their own country's, history? 

I know how it would look today to adults, but that wasn't the point was making, which was that the type of 'weapons' we used and how we used them was completely innocuous compared to the ones in these pictures.

[ Last edit by Aileen September 23, 2013, 02:10 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #8450 on: September 23, 2013, 07:55 AM »

It's very interesting, now it's no longer acceptable in films to shoot Native Americans, how a whole load of new enemies needing to be exterminated in the most brutal ways, has been manufactured.
Also very interesting that Johnny Depp's latest, which is extremely critical of that time in American history, has been panned in the States and has sunk like a stone over there.
@Iluvandy
Always interesting to transpose oneself into history and wonder how you'd feel/behave. How change actually  takes place is also a fascinating subject.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8451 on: September 23, 2013, 09:16 AM »

The woman must be:

A) Blind.
B) A absolute uneducated dumbass.

It states she shined a flashlight on what she believed to be the skunk and she STILL couldn't see it was an innocent girl fooling around, unbelievable.
I thought that too!  shocking Skunks are approximately the same size as cats aren't they? This girl was '8' years old!  confused
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8452 on: September 23, 2013, 09:25 AM »

It's very interesting, now it's no longer acceptable in films to shoot Native Americans, how a whole load of new enemies needing to be exterminated in the most brutal ways, has been manufactured.
Also very interesting that Johnny Depp's latest, which is extremely critical of that time in American history, has been panned in the States and has sunk like a stone over there.
@Iluvandy
Always interesting to transpose oneself into history and wonder how you'd feel/behave. How change actually  takes place is also a fascinating subject.
I remember seeing 'Soldier Blue' in a cinema in London! I cried my eyes out!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Thread « Reply #8453 on: September 23, 2013, 02:44 PM »

What do these b*stards want ffs????

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/kenya-mall-crisis-more-blasts-gunfire-heard-1.1864278
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8454 on: September 23, 2013, 03:02 PM »

Nobody seems to know but my feeling is that they want to create as much terror as possible for as long as possible in the interests of their own sick cause.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if they finally kill themselves, if they aren't killed first by others, and by so doing instantly become martyrs.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8455 on: September 24, 2013, 12:51 AM »

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/change-the-law-to-better-protect-vulnerable-children-like-daniel-pelka?share_id=usPFNAWWGf&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

I'm putting this up again in case some of you have missed it. Sorry to intrude in the current discussion but I feel so strongly about this. At the moment it is not mandatory for agencies to pass concerns about child abuse onto each other. This petition seeks to chance this.
If 100,000 signatures trigger a debate in the H of C.
Please please sign and pass it on.

Thanks BBH - I've signed as well.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #8456 on: September 24, 2013, 07:21 AM »

Thanx so much janetx hug
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #8457 on: September 26, 2013, 12:51 PM »

Since I first asked people to sign, over 2,000 signatures have been added. A mere 15,875 are needed! yay
However, have now got my hairdresser on the case, so we'll soon be there clap
Thanks again yo'all  hug
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8458 on: September 26, 2013, 09:22 PM »

Since I first asked people to sign, over 2,000 signatures have been added. A mere 15,875 are needed! yay
However, have now got my hairdresser on the case, so we'll soon be there clap
Thanks again yo'all  hug
Yes hairdressers are very good at communicating with their clients, so hopefully these same clients will sign the petition and pass it on to their contacts.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #8459 on: October 04, 2013, 09:59 AM »

Only 13, 820 needed now.
And yet another horrifying case of an invisible child.
Alcohol plus violence plus police involvement should be massive triggers for "caring" agencies. Can't imagine why they aren't. Unless, sobering thought, there are just too many to deal with
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 563 [564] 565 566 567 ... 578 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »