Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 564 [565] 566 567 568 ... 610 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 249618 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8460 on: October 04, 2013, 10:21 PM »

Only 13, 820 needed now.
And yet another horrifying case of an invisible child.
Alcohol plus violence plus police involvement should be massive triggers for "caring" agencies. Can't imagine why they aren't. Unless, sobering thought, there are just too many to deal with
The problem with this case was that the mother consistently refused to give social workers, and other agencies who could have helped, access to the house.  Given all the suspicion that there was, especially where a young child was involved, surely this was an instance where the police could have applied for a warrant to break into the house? They're quick enough to do so where suspected drugs are involved, so why should the suspected abuse of a child be treated any differently?
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8461 on: October 05, 2013, 01:00 AM »

The problem with this case was that the mother consistently refused to give social workers, and other agencies who could have helped, access to the house.  Given all the suspicion that there was, especially where a young child was involved, surely this was an instance where the police could have applied for a warrant to break into the house? They're quick enough to do so where suspected drugs are involved, so why should the suspected abuse of a child be treated any differently?

That alone should be enough to trigger a response. Surely repeated failure to present a child should cause alarm. I'll admit I've found this case too distressing and so I've read very little but it doesn't seem as though this poor child had any contact with medical professionals. There is no valid reason why a parent should not let a social worker see their child. Unfortunately, I've already seen comments on the Guardian website about how this poor woman was a victim as she was a battered woman and she had a problem with alcohol. There will be screams about civil liberties and the rights of a parent.

I'm afraid we'd all be pretty disgusted if we realised just how low the bar is when you consider the living conditions deemed suitable for a child. When I read about the squalor that poor baby P lived in I was appalled. How social workers thought children should live there is beyond my comprehension.  In the case of Victoria ClimbiĆ© her social worker noted that the child seemed terrified of her aunt but made an assumption that it was nothing more than a culture of respect towards one's parent. Some how the rights of a child always seem to get lost in these cases. Agencies don't talk to each other. Warning signs are missed. People don't do their jobs properly.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8462 on: October 05, 2013, 01:32 AM »

^ I've found all these cases almost too distressing to hear or read about too, so confine myself to what appears on the TV news, and even then often switch off.  I don't consider myself to be adopting the ostrich position here, rather that there seems to be a steady diet of these stories which result in somebody at the head of whatever social service wringing their hands and apologising and using that increasingly hackneyed phrase "Lessons have been learnt", yet it's blindingly obvious that they never are.

IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8463 on: October 05, 2013, 02:04 AM »

I know it wouldn't have helped this poor child but I was thinking about children when they go to school. When I was at primary school in the 80s we had a school nurse. I remember twice a year we had to visit the school nurse. Every child had to be measured and weighed etc. Does that not happen now?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8464 on: October 05, 2013, 03:55 AM »

I can't find out about Scotland, but schools in England have them, although it seems that their main role nowadays is to provide primary school children with information on such matters as healthy eating and, yes, sex. Rolling Eyes  They will of course take appropriate action if a child becomes ill or is injured, but that seems to be about it, although maybe someone on here who has children or grandchildren could enlighten us.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8465 on: October 05, 2013, 07:57 AM »

@Aileen
That's such a good point about the police being able to force entry into a  house when they think it's necessary.
Unfortunately the notion that you don't interfere in the of "privacy" of the home regarding family matters, still exists.
Also, I think a culture of violence towards women and children is also still very prevalent in our society.
Attitudes take an awful long time to change.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8466 on: October 05, 2013, 09:13 AM »

The police in the UK have the most bizarre priorities. Hunting down celebrity octogenarians for groping girls in the 70s, prosecuting uppity politicians for calling them plebs, arresting footballers, chargng old ladies for driving at 34 miles per hour (my Mum who was 72 at the time) standing watching football matches in vast numbers (I counted over 150 at a lower league Ross County match recently ) policing any sporting event in vast numbers (eg Open and Wimbledon) raiding houses with Muslim families with guns in the early hours of the morning and then admitting it was the wrong house, indulging in press conferences and media frenzies like at Solham while forgetting to check the criminal record of  the last person to see these girls, hanging around the Royal Family doing nothing,leaking stories to journalists,  fining perfectly safe responsible drivers while themselves driving  at 100mph chasing criminals, crashing cars and putting the public at risk, shooting innocent people, usually black or Asian and just continually getting things wrong. The only other group more inept than the police are the local authorities who pay a pittance to social workers at the coal face and are then suprised when they are hopeless, while paying their heads of deptsand CEs ridiculous overblown salaries and perks for attending awareness weekends in plush hotels. These child abuse cases examplfy the inept, lazy, self satisfied public sector morons who have become so mollycoddled they have forgotten that they are supposed to be protecting children. As far as I am concerned they have blood on their hands, should all be fired on the spot, if not jailed. All those on MW who blame the heartless evil mother need to remember that she was obviously a severely emotionally and mentally retarded individual, probably a victim of violence and neglect herself and who desperately needed help as much as her poor little child. I feel sympathy for the poor woman who is reviled by everyone while the absent father is no doubt merrily fathering more unwanted kids as we speak.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8467 on: October 05, 2013, 10:43 AM »

@MT
As a matter of fact there has been a conspicuous lack of blame for the mother in this case confused
Most of us on here have blamed a conspicuous lack of communication between the various agencies involved.
Agree though re 1) underfunding of social work. Young social workers have been given a caseload of 48 vulnerable children, absurd, and 2) strange choice of police priorities.
I suppose it is easier, and a lot more fun, to participate in high speed car chases, than check out vulnerable children.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #8468 on: October 05, 2013, 02:10 PM »

I can't find out about Scotland, but schools in England have them, although it seems that their main role nowadays is to provide primary school children with information on such matters as healthy eating and, yes, sex. Rolling Eyes  They will of course take appropriate action if a child becomes ill or is injured, but that seems to be about it, although maybe someone on here who has children or grandchildren could enlighten us.

Not in primary school. They get eye and teeth checks in P1 and P7. Other than that it's up to us to report any concerns to the school's nominated child protection officer who will investigate/ involve appropriate personnel eg social services.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #8469 on: October 05, 2013, 06:37 PM »

You would have thought that Daniel's behaviour of scavenging litter bins for food would have been noted. It is  terrible that this was not reported to the social work department. There seems to be a total lack of reporting between different departments dealing with children's care and well being. My daughter is now a qualified social worker you would think there are plenty jobs in this area with all the problems you hear about. Not so she and many of her fellow graduates are still job hunting plenty of graduates but no jobs going.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8470 on: October 06, 2013, 12:41 AM »

The police in the UK have the most bizarre priorities. Hunting down celebrity octogenarians for groping girls in the 70s, prosecuting uppity politicians for calling them plebs, arresting footballers, chargng old ladies for driving at 34 miles per hour (my Mum who was 72 at the time) standing watching football matches in vast numbers (I counted over 150 at a lower league Ross County match recently ) policing any sporting event in vast numbers (eg Open and Wimbledon) raiding houses with Muslim families with guns in the early hours of the morning and then admitting it was the wrong house, indulging in press conferences and media frenzies like at Solham while forgetting to check the criminal record of  the last person to see these girls, hanging around the Royal Family doing nothing,leaking stories to journalists,  fining perfectly safe responsible drivers while themselves driving  at 100mph chasing criminals, crashing cars and putting the public at risk, shooting innocent people, usually black or Asian and just continually getting things wrong. The only other group more inept than the police are the local authorities who pay a pittance to social workers at the coal face and are then suprised when they are hopeless, while paying their heads of deptsand CEs ridiculous overblown salaries and perks for attending awareness weekends in plush hotels. These child abuse cases examplfy the inept, lazy, self satisfied public sector morons who have become so mollycoddled they have forgotten that they are supposed to be protecting children. As far as I am concerned they have blood on their hands, should all be fired on the spot, if not jailed. All those on MW who blame the heartless evil mother need to remember that she was obviously a severely emotionally and mentally retarded individual, probably a victim of violence and neglect herself and who desperately needed help as much as her poor little child. I feel sympathy for the poor woman who is reviled by everyone while the absent father is no doubt merrily fathering more unwanted kids as we speak.

I don't blame you for having a go at the various agencies that let children slip through the net. I'm afraid until these agencies get their act together more children will suffer. None of them seem to talk to each other. No red flags ever go up. Children are taken to hospital and staff don't know they're on the at-risk register. Incidents at school aren't reported to social workers. Police don't alert social workers. It's an absolute disgrace and I don't understand how it seems to happen time and time again.

I hadn't mentioned the "heartless evil mother" but as far as I'm concerned that is exactly what she is. A problem with alcohol and an abusive partner is no excuse for starving a child to death.  She's not the only woman in the world to have had these problems. She refused to get help for her addiction. She slammed the door in the face of health visitors. She managed to buy her vodka. Most likely with the child benefit money she was still claiming for the child she allowed to die. She managed to feed herself. She threatened to kill her children and burn the house down if they told anyone about the dead child. As far as I'm aware the father of these children was not permitted to see his kids. I have to say I get a bit sick of reading about these poor women. Baby P's mother was brought up in care and according to social workers just needed help to be a good mother. She was sent to parenting classes. All the while that poor baby and his siblings were being beaten, tortured and raped in that house. Social workers didn't see a problem with these children living in a house with excrement on the walls. That was all OK because every woman just needs help to be a good mother. I'm afraid some women are just evil. Pure and simple as far as I'm concerned. Until authorities and agencies remember that the CHILD is the priority we will continue to see tragedy after tragedy.  The women in these cases were devious, manipulative and downright evil. I don't believe in heaven and hell but when I read cases like this I wish I did.
[ Last edit by IonaRed October 06, 2013, 01:09 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8471 on: October 06, 2013, 02:09 AM »

Not in primary school. They get eye and teeth checks in P1 and P7. Other than that it's up to us to report any concerns to the school's nominated child protection officer who will investigate/ involve appropriate personnel eg social services.
Thankfully you have the freedom to do that since that seems to be denied to teachers in England and Wales.

I remember back in the early 1980s a work colleague telling me about the time she and her husband had to take their three year old daughter to the A&E the day after she fell and landed a bit awkwardly on her arm.  As she wasn't showing any obvious signs of injury, could move her arm and didn't seem to be in discomfort, they thought nothing more about it until the following morning when her arm began to swell up and she was screaming with pain.  At the hospital an X-ray showed that she had in fact fractured her arm but because the bone was only slightly displaced it hadn't caused any trouble at the time.

The point here is that both she and her husband were subjected to a lengthy interrogation by a member of staff who wanted to know the precise details of what had happened and also why there had been such a delay in bringing her to hospital.  She finally admitted that she was suspicious that the child had been physically abused by one or both of them, and had her suspicions not been satisfied, the police would have been called.

How things have changed. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8472 on: October 06, 2013, 08:46 AM »

IonaRed........Thanks for this post! I agree with every word, though I think the father should accept some responsibility for this too! Surely he must have known what this woman was like? I'd also like to know why he 'wasn't allowed' to see his children! I'm not a man, but I believe any decent dad would have moved heaven and earth to get his children away from her! Yes..heartless..selfish..sadistic..evil hag is exactly what she is and the way I see it, the father can't be much better! I don't know what he did or didn't do, but it clearly wasn't enough!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8473 on: October 11, 2013, 08:08 PM »

Massive cyclone due to hit India tonight! The people could use some prayers or good vibes......especially for Sabine and her family!
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #8474 on: October 11, 2013, 08:30 PM »

Massive cyclone due to hit India tonight! The people could use some prayers or good vibes......especially for Sabine and her family!

No cyclone can match Hurricane Gangsta. I shall protect India.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 564 [565] 566 567 568 ... 610 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »