Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 569 [570] 571 572 573 ... 593 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 223150 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8535 on: December 02, 2013, 08:50 PM »

Yes Aileen.......That thought actually ran through my mind yesterday, as I was typing my post, which is why I added the prayer at the end.......then I saw this on the news!  
There hasn't been much about the US train derailment but wall to wall coverage of the helicopter crash, which isn't surprising.  Not only did it happen in the UK but it was such a freak accident, whereas train accidents are, unfortunately, not all that uncommon.

The helicopter has been removed but I hope they don't find any more bodies, although one young man says that his Dad is still unaccounted for. Frown   There's no record of a mayday call from the pilot, so investigators are saying that whatever happened must have been a very sudden catastrophic mechanical failure.  Meanwhile the wrecked helicopter is being taken to air accident investigators in Farnborough for further investigation.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8536 on: December 05, 2013, 09:51 PM »

Nelson Mandela has died.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8537 on: December 05, 2013, 09:53 PM »

Nelson Mandela has died.

Not unexpected, fighting illness and age for ages. 95 is not a bad age to die at by any means, and he made those 95 years worth it. R.I.P Mandela
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Thread « Reply #8538 on: December 05, 2013, 09:55 PM »

Nelson Mandela has died.
What a loss for mankind.  There are no words. 
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #8539 on: December 05, 2013, 09:58 PM »

What a loss for mankind.  There are no words. 

I agree. One of the few people on this planet who have earned the title of 'legend'.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8540 on: December 05, 2013, 10:03 PM »

I agree. One of the few people on this planet who have earned the title of 'legend'.
Totally.  Here's hoping his legacy will live on and inspire others. 
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #8541 on: December 05, 2013, 10:05 PM »

Totally.  Here's hoping his legacy will live on and inspire others. 

I hope it does, but no one will compare to the change he made. Diminishing inequality, racism and poverty like he did is just so inspirational.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8542 on: December 05, 2013, 10:08 PM »

I hope it does, but no one will compare to the change he made. Diminishing inequality, racism and poverty like he did is just so inspirational.
And I don't think we can even begin to imagine what he went through to do that.  If I had a hundred hats, I'd take them off to him.  Stunning role model for humanity.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8543 on: December 05, 2013, 10:51 PM »

Yet some buffoons, as I recall, not so long ago put him in the same class as Federer as being one of the most influential people in the world. Rolling Eyes  Pig-ignorant twits!

I know Mandela was very old and in extremely poor health, but the thing is that people see somebody like him as being indestructible, so their death still comes as a terrible shock.  His legacy though will live on forever.

One of the few people on this planet who have earned the title of 'legend'.
I totally agree because Mandela epitomises what the word 'legend' really means, not the way it's frequently abused today.

[ Last edit by Aileen December 05, 2013, 11:02 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #8544 on: December 06, 2013, 06:36 AM »

RIP Nelson Mandela. The world has lost an extraordinary human being, a hero for us all for now and future generations.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8545 on: December 06, 2013, 09:58 AM »

Nelson Mandela once described himself as 'just a man who kept trying', but in reality, he was a man who knew the difference between 'what is right' and 'what is easy' and lived his life accordingly! He refused to go against his principals, no matter the cost! For me, he was a shining light and though he is gone, I have to hope his light will shine on. Enjoy your rest Mr. Mandela.......you deserve it!
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #8546 on: December 19, 2013, 09:02 PM »

Just heard of the balcony collapse at the Apollo theatre in London.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8547 on: December 19, 2013, 09:55 PM »

Just heard of the balcony collapse at the Apollo theatre in London.
Oh goodness! shocking   It seems it was part of the roof though not the balcony.  No fatalities so far, but we'll get an update on the BBC's 10pm news.  Meanwhile - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25458009
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8548 on: December 19, 2013, 10:12 PM »

^ Awful.  A lot injured, and some seriously.  There always seem to be tragic happenings at this time of year - not that any time of year make them better.  Frown
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8549 on: December 19, 2013, 10:49 PM »

^ Latest report on BBC News - it seems it was part of the ceiling that collapsed not the roof as was originally thought.  That would probably have resulted in more serious casualties, and probably fatalities, anyway.  Four seriously injured reported, with none of them thought to be life-threatening, and at least they know that nobody is still trapped inside.

There are always tragedies, Elly, but inevitably they're going to sound worse at this time of year.  I doubt though that anything will ever be as horrific as Lockerbie which really did cast a shadow over Christmas that year. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 569 [570] 571 572 573 ... 593 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »