Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 573 [574] 575 576 577 ... 609 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 243606 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8595 on: January 18, 2014, 02:45 AM »

I will 'never' understand how a mother can do such a thing to her own child!  shocking I don't remember ever hearing about this kind of crime for most of my life, yet now.....it happens all the time!
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8596 on: January 18, 2014, 03:11 AM »

Sh*t like this always happened, it just wasn't broadcast through the media before.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8597 on: January 18, 2014, 07:42 AM »

Knew from the start a member of the family had done it. Probably happened at Christmas The child hadn't been at nursery since then.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8598 on: January 18, 2014, 07:44 AM »

Sh*t like this always happened, it just wasn't broadcast through the media before.

And that's true too. Alas. We have a history in the UK of treating children very badly.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Thread « Reply #8599 on: January 18, 2014, 01:44 PM »

There was a tragic inevitability about little Mikaeel Kular. The story didn't ring true from the start. I mean, a three year old could, I suppose, get out through an open front door. A three year old is highly unlikely to have got up in the night, dressed himself and gone out without someone hearing him. If he had he would have been seen by someone.

Apparently the poor little mite hasn't been seen at nursery since before Christmas. I've also heard that the house where he was found belongs to an aunt.
IP Logged
CoolDude
Futures Level

us open champion 2012

Re: News Thread « Reply #8600 on: January 18, 2014, 11:30 PM »

mother arrested. From the very start i knew something was fishy
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #8601 on: January 19, 2014, 07:15 PM »

My husband and I were talking about it too. How could a three year old dress himself,open the front door and then the heavy security door into the flats to get out. I thought there was something fishy going on. Poor wee soul I feel so sad that someone could kill a three year old child. What's the world coming to.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #8602 on: January 19, 2014, 07:23 PM »

mother arrested. From the very start i knew something was fishy

And, according to her story, she put him to bed at 9 o'clock and when she went to waken him at 8.30 next morning he was gone.     No mention of looking in to see if he was OK when she was going to bed.    I thought that was strange.   
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8603 on: February 09, 2014, 09:01 AM »

Change.org 

The second serious case review into Daniel's death, requested by Minister for Children Edward Timpson, was released earlier this week to look into why Daniel was let down by the system.

It was the noise that we built around this campaign which may well have been the reason for this second review. This second report clearly indicates staff at Daniel’s school ‘were unclear of their role in the child protection process, who go to with concerns and what to do if their concerns were not heard within the school environment’. The school's failure to report Daniel's abuse is cited as being due to 'poor judgment'.

Now is the time to push this over the tipping point. We have clear evidence that Daniel was failed by authorities and that mandatory reporting may have given staff at his school confidence to report. We have strong support - former Director of Public Prosecution Keir Starmer, CofE and RC Church, Children's Commissioner and Esther Rantzen. And we have our networks.

Please forward the email below to tell everyone you know to sign this petition - let's break through the landmark 100K and make the government listen!

Thank you for your ongoing support,

Paula

http://www.danielslaw.co.uk/

--- Email to forward to your friends ---

Hi,

I'm supporting Paula’s campaign for Daniel’s Law, to make it mandatory to report suspected child abuse.

Four-year-old Daniel Pelka was let down, his abuse was never reported and he tragically lost his life. Mandatory Reporting would have helped Daniel and could help others in his place.

We are so close -- we have the support; former Director of Public Prosecution Keir Starmer, Church of England and Roman Catholic Church, the Children's Commissioner and Esther Rantzen all agreeing that there needs to be a Daniel’s Law.

Please help us and sign the petition here: www.change.org/danielslaw

Thank you

Just received this update folks.
Thanks again to all who signed

IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #8604 on: February 09, 2014, 07:50 PM »

Just wanted to say I feel very sorry for the people in the south west of England who are going through hell because of the flooding. It has gone on far to long. The UK government must take a lot of resposibility  for the situation, I know they can't help the weather but surely it is time to spend money on the flood defences. My son did town planning at university and he said houses should never have been built on flood planes.It is obvious that more money has to be spent on flood defences better late than never.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #8605 on: February 10, 2014, 01:43 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26114364

Is this guy an idiot? It's insanely popular and he doesn't want it to be like that. lol.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Thread « Reply #8606 on: February 10, 2014, 04:00 PM »

Just wanted to say I feel very sorry for the people in the south west of England who are going through hell because of the flooding. It has gone on far to long. The UK government must take a lot of resposibility  for the situation, I know they can't help the weather but surely it is time to spend money on the flood defences. My son did town planning at university and he said houses should never have been built on flood planes.It is obvious that more money has to be spent on flood defences better late than never.

Flood defences have made a lot of difference in some areas outside Worcester. Upton Upon Severn, which is in Worcestershire, has floods, but the situation would have been much worse in times gone by. A few years ago, after a number of incidents of very severe flooding, defences were built. The town is now protected from the worst the weather can do. That doesn't help people who have flooded of course, but it is something. The problem with flood defences is that water they hold back in some places has to go somewhere else. Unfortunately it doesn't just disappear.

The big problem in the UK, both in Somerset and other areas, including here in Worcester, is that rivers are no longer regularly dredged. All the silt and rubbish in the rivers, both naturally occurring rubbish and rubbish of the not so natural variety, ends up building up, so when we have heavy rain the water levels rise, leading to floods. Dredging the rivers would make a difference.

The environment agency has been heavily criticised for their response to the floods, and rightly so in many areas, but the government needs to hold up its hand as well. Cutting budgets that could have been used for dredging etc strikes me as monumentally stupid.

Building on flood planes is part of the problem too, but people need places to live, so that is a tough balance.

Worcester has loads of closed roads today due to flooding. Many parts of the city have endured bedlam as people try to go about their business. The main bridge in and out of the city, which is just down the road from me, a five minute walk, was closed yesterday lunchtime. It's partially open now, but where you would normally have two lanes of traffic on both sides, you now currently have two on one side, one going in to the city, one going out. The bridge might end up being closed again if we have the heavy rain anticipated this week.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #8607 on: February 24, 2014, 08:44 PM »

Harold Ramis, famous for his role as Egon in Ghostbusters, as well as director films such as Groundhog Day has died today aged 69. A sad sad loss indeed.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Thread « Reply #8608 on: February 24, 2014, 08:46 PM »

^Who,s he gonna call now?
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #8609 on: February 24, 2014, 08:46 PM »

^Who,s he gonna call now?

the Undertakers? Shrug