Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 370 [371] 372 373 374 ... 578 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: News Thread  (Read 213668 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #5550 on: January 26, 2011, 02:58 PM »

Thanks for those pics Bev.  Great way of doing "before and after" shots, even although I did think for a minute that my computer was playing up! Rolling Eyes

Yes, the mind can't quite comprehend what's happening.  Of course we've had severe flooding in the UK (and I'm old enough, just Smile) to remember seeing newspaper and newsreel pics of the 1952 floods in the Devonshire village of Lynmouth, when 34 people drowned.  But all our flooding has been short-lived and confined to small locations.

Goes without saying that the UK media have now virtually lost interest in what's going on in Oz. Frown

However, let's not forget that 800 people died in the recent flooding and landslides in Brazil.  That too is horrendous.
Hi Carole - see you managed the name change OK.  Like Caz though. Smile

Anyway look at what's going on in the Middle East now.  Always a tinder box, it only took civil unrest in Tunisia to spark trouble off elsewhere -

Egypt protests: Three killed in 'day of revolt'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12272836

Awww! Thanks Aileen..x
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #5551 on: January 27, 2011, 10:56 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12296954

If this is the media frenzy when he's in hospital for 2 days, imagine what the reaction is going to be when he eventually dies (whenever that may be)

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5552 on: January 28, 2011, 03:22 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12296954

If this is the media frenzy when he's in hospital for 2 days, imagine what the reaction is going to be when he eventually dies (whenever that may be)
As I recall, when they interviewed Desmond Tutu, he added what is not recorded in that article - "It's God's will" - but maybe the Beeb online decided that that concept might be too much for most people! Smile
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #5553 on: January 29, 2011, 05:32 PM »

This money should be spent on THE NURSES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2113071
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Thread « Reply #5554 on: January 29, 2011, 05:39 PM »

^ How totally cock eyed is that?  Let's spend money on people who want to kill themselves with their disgusting habit and cost the NHS a fortune.

My daughter will struggle to find a job when she qualifies.  But as long as the smokers are OK, that'll do... Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #5555 on: January 29, 2011, 05:40 PM »

I am so mad about this - I could just about get up a picket line.  Every time you go to ARI you have to plough through all the second hand smoke ......... and, at the end of the day it is thee and me who are paying for it.  Thank God I'm moving into Angus - hope they don't do that down there as well !!!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Thread « Reply #5556 on: January 29, 2011, 06:01 PM »

^ I don't blame you for being mad.  It's disgusting.  I suspect it'll still be the same down the road, mind. 

It makes me very mad to think my girlie won't be able to get a job after all her training.  Some of the stories she has stands my hair on end.  She now has a bad back from lifting obese patients, and she's only 21.  She's cleaned up more **** than I could even imagine.  I think it takes someone very special to do that, and to not have it rewarded is awful.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #5557 on: January 29, 2011, 06:12 PM »

^ I don't blame you for being mad.  It's disgusting.  I suspect it'll still be the same down the road, mind. 

It makes me very mad to think my girlie won't be able to get a job after all her training.  Some of the stories she has stands my hair on end.  She now has a bad back from lifting obese patients, and she's only 21.  She's cleaned up more sh*t than I could even imagine.  I think it takes someone very special to do that, and to not have it rewarded is awful.

She may have to move farther afield.  If she went to the US she would get a good compensation package ...
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5558 on: January 30, 2011, 04:10 AM »

I am so mad about this - I could just about get up a picket line.  Every time you go to ARI you have to plough through all the second hand smoke ......... and, at the end of the day it is thee and me who are paying for it.  Thank God I'm moving into Angus - hope they don't do that down there as well !!!
Move to Edinburgh where it's definitely safe! Very Happy  I've never encountered ANY second-hand smoke, either at the Royal Infirmary or the Western General, or at St John's in nearby Livingston.  However, my lungs are regularly assaulted by the smokers congregating outside the pubs in my area - gales, rain, snow ... nothing stops them.

Actually, that article reminded me of the time I worked for a Medical Research Trust, which awarded a grant of £50,000 (late 1960's money) for 3 years to The Distillers Company so's they could carry out research into alcohol abuse.  The idea behind it was to educate people so's they'd drink sensibly, not senselessly, but it did seem a bit like they were shooting themselves in the foot. Smile
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #5559 on: January 30, 2011, 01:27 PM »

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-01-30/6256.php 
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #5560 on: January 30, 2011, 11:02 PM »

*sigh*

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/opinion/30sun1.html
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #5561 on: January 31, 2011, 10:37 PM »

John Barry has died Frown

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12322680

IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5562 on: February 01, 2011, 09:24 PM »

Pack of 100 huskies shot and knifed to death before being tossed in a mass grave by tour operator trying to save money

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1352401/100-huskies-shot-mass-grave-tour-operator-trying-save-money.html
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #5563 on: February 01, 2011, 09:28 PM »

I'm not even going to read that ...
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5564 on: February 01, 2011, 09:32 PM »

By the time he had shot his 15th husky, he noticed the dogs were ‘experiencing anxiety and stress’, the documents revealed.

At one point the man shot but failed to kill a husky called Suzie – the mother of his own pet dog. ‘He had to chase Suzie through the yard because the horrific noise she made when wounded caused him to drop the leash,’ the report said.

When he managed to kill Suzie, he accidentally shot another husky which had not been due to be killed, but had to be put down.

‘He also had to perform what he described as “execution style” killings where he wrestled the dogs to the ground and stood on them with one foot to shoot them.’

The report added: ‘He described a guttural sound he had never heard before from the dogs and fear in their eyes.’

It also told how he had run out of ammunition when he was attacked by an injured animal, so had to use a knife to kill it.

‘His memory of the final 15 dogs is hazy,’ the documents added. ‘Some he shot cleanly, others he had to chase. In some cases it was easier to get behind the dogs and slit their throats.

Frown
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 370 [371] 372 373 374 ... 578 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »