Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 377 [378] 379 380 381 ... 608 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 235094 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5655 on: February 19, 2011, 01:42 PM »

I think you underestimate the power of marketing in this way and its subconscious effects. But anyway, you and I are just giving an outsiders opinion. I think it would be useful if we both had the data the Pentagon were given when making this decision.

For the moment, I'm with the members of The House but with no data in front of me, I'm more inclined to sit on the fence than give a passionate opinion on this.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #5656 on: February 19, 2011, 01:49 PM »

Funny.

Let's use some common sense here. More likely than not, they get recruits from the hounding that they do in high schools (seen it with my two eyes) and incentives such as the college reimbursement. Most people who were not seriously considering the army before are not going to go, "Oh, look, the Army is branded on a racecar, I should totally join up!"

Not to mention, I don't care how many recruits are taken into the army. GI bills are not what they used to be (if at all, I'm still fuzzy about what they did to those) and if anything, more burden is put on the taxpayer with that.

Perhaps you're not getting it. We're fighting tooth and nail here to save some sort of government money but find it absolutely ok to give 7 million to a sports business. College fundings are cut, PP was going to be cut (thank the Senate for that one), Medicare/Medicaid is cut down, and almost everything else that helps the citizens of America. 7 million to a NASCAR company is not helping the citizens of America. I hope you're not suggesting that the bulk of recruitment comes from this, because it certainly does not.

And with this, I'm done speaking about it with you. Frankly, this doesn't affect you in any way, so I can see why you wouldn't be outraged.
That's not how advertisments work. I'ts subliminal.......the more you see it, the more it sinks into your brain....even if you're not aware of having seen it. Is this the first year they've given this money to Nascar? 'Coz if it isn't, they must think it worked for them to repeat it another year!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5657 on: February 19, 2011, 01:51 PM »

^ What she said Smile
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5658 on: February 19, 2011, 04:26 PM »

^ What she said Smile

That's not how advertisments work. I'ts subliminal.......the more you see it, the more it sinks into your brain....even if you're not aware of having seen it. Is this the first year they've given this money to Nascar? 'Coz if it isn't, they must think it worked for them to repeat it another year!

People overestimate the power of advertising. You would have to be extraordinarily gullible to fall for some of the tricks they employ.

I'm with Veronica on this. I fail to see the upside of giving millions to NASCAR.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5659 on: February 19, 2011, 04:27 PM »

You would have to be extraordinarily gullible to fall for some of the tricks they employ.
Yeah, like the type of people who watch NASCAR. lol

[ Last edit by Mark February 19, 2011, 04:32 PM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5660 on: February 19, 2011, 05:20 PM »

People overestimate the power of advertising. You would have to be extraordinarily gullible to fall for some of the tricks they employ.

I'm with Veronica on this. I fail to see the upside of giving millions to NASCAR.
Well yes of course they do....that's why companys spend billions every year on avertising. I wasn't commenting on whether Nascar should get the money or not. I think I've got enough to worry about with what goes on here!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5661 on: February 19, 2011, 06:28 PM »

Whether or not I agree with this, I don't over-estimate the power of advertising, especially on the subliminal level.  For example, some of the absolute guff on TV and in magazines that women, and men, fall for in the belief that that product will make them more beautiful/attactive must work otherwise the companies concerned would be looking to find other marketing methods.

Well yes of course they do....that's why companys spend billions every year on avertising. I wasn't commenting on whether Nascar should get the money or not. I think I've got enough to worry about with what goes on here!
Like our government giving a "loan" of £7bn to prop up the ailing Irish economy, in addition to what Ireland will receive from the EU, with very little chance of that money being repaid anytime soon, if ever, while this country is in the financial sh*t.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #5662 on: February 19, 2011, 07:52 PM »

The Army/government is not a business, and I refuse to treat it like one. Especially when the money that they use to fund these lavish advertisements are $7 million dollars.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5663 on: February 19, 2011, 09:44 PM »

All I can add is that the US army must have plenty of money as opposed to its British counterparts, although I guess we know that anyway when you look how well-kitted out US soliders are in Afghanistan, right down to their sun-shades, while our poor forces have to get by with inferior kit and equipment. Frown
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5664 on: March 02, 2011, 08:58 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12614673

vomit
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5665 on: March 02, 2011, 09:37 AM »

Wow and it quickly sold out.

jaw
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5666 on: March 02, 2011, 11:17 AM »

Why on earth were people so eager to buy it?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5667 on: March 02, 2011, 01:06 PM »

Yuk! Must've been weirdos!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5668 on: March 03, 2011, 04:05 AM »

Apart from sounding revolting, I don't see how this idea could possibly catch on.  I mean, just how many lactating women would be required to keep production going at a viable level?
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #5669 on: March 12, 2011, 01:19 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12722996
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 377 [378] 379 380 381 ... 608 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »