Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 394 [395] 396 397 398 ... 610 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 249627 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5910 on: May 01, 2011, 05:12 AM »

Aileen, never thought equal opportunites meant women would take up such sports  fool
Well you've just learnt something new. Smile   Women's football (if you ever get the chance to see it on TV, then watch it because it's so pathetic that it's funny) is so popular they even have their own World Cup - http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/index.html

As for rugby, I've never watched it but I'm sure it's just as farcical, and I can just imagine what part of their anatomy will be the most grabbable in scrums, although maybe they wear heavily reinforced bras???   Also it too has its own World Cup - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_Rugby_World_Cup

But you have to remember that, until about the 1920s, hockey and cricket were also male sports yet became quite acceptable once women started playing them.  However, neither has the same physical body contact that football and rugby have.

Women can take up anything these days...........they just get paid less!
You're forgetting about tennis, Caz.  Women players howled for equal prize money in Slams and got it, something I think is grossly unfair.  If they want equality with male players then let them play 5-setters.  Let's face it, today's women players are strong enough to do so.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #5911 on: May 03, 2011, 05:43 AM »

There's been a big tornado in Auckland, in the Albany area on the North Shore. Not big as what's happened elsewhere recently but big for NZ as I've never heard of one causing damage here before. There have been injuries and a death confirmed. The roof to the megacentre (major shopping mall) has collapsed and cars have been destroyed.

My family is nowhere near fortunately as they are in south east Auckland but I do know the area reasonably well and used to go to that mall most weekends as the girlfriend is from around there.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #5912 on: May 03, 2011, 07:25 AM »

2 dead now Alex and 20 injured

Someone needs to proof read too Whistle

http://www.3news.co.nz/North-Shore-tonado-leaves-2-dead-20-injured/tabid/309/articleID/209612/Default.aspx

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/9304084/tornado-strikes-aucklands-north-shore/
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #5913 on: May 03, 2011, 09:13 AM »

It's a bit different when you know the places you're seeing destroyed on the TV. Not like Japan or even Christchurch for me which seemed like other worlds.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #5914 on: May 03, 2011, 09:17 AM »

We have a store there and staff all uninjured but still seems a bit unreal to me, since I don't know the area very well.

Apparently if we hear something like thunder tonight, it might not be!

Number of confirmed dead revised down to 1.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/9307076/police-revise-number-of-dead-down-to-one/
[ Last edit by Bevc May 03, 2011, 11:45 AM ] IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #5915 on: May 04, 2011, 08:10 PM »

Just when I thought this day could not get any worse...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/04/hr-3-not-actually-about-t_n_857420.html
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #5916 on: May 04, 2011, 08:26 PM »

Just when I thought this day could not get any worse...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/04/hr-3-not-actually-about-t_n_857420.html
Hey Tg, what's wrong?
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: News Thread « Reply #5917 on: May 04, 2011, 08:32 PM »

Haha, stupid Americans.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #5918 on: May 04, 2011, 10:19 PM »

The apache tribe want president Obama to say sorry for useing the name "Geronamo "which was the code name used in the killing of UBL.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #5919 on: May 08, 2011, 03:54 PM »

The apache tribe want president Obama to say sorry for useing the name "Geronamo "which was the code name used in the killing of UBL.

Interesting that they would take such umbrage.  Re the following pic of Geronimo, look at his eyes - they appear light coloured, don't they?  Poses a question or two.

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5920 on: May 08, 2011, 04:12 PM »

Hey guys, I got this from yesterday's Telegraph........UK DOGS AND HUMANS FACE TAPEWORM INVASION FROM EUROPE...............British vets are worried about the introduction of a new dog tapeworm infection that can also affect humans.  Echinococcus Multilocularis is endemic in many EU countries. If humans are infected, tapeworm larvae can grow in the liver, and can spread to the lungs, brain and other organs. If left untreated, it's fatal in 95 per cent of cases. To date, Britain has been protected by insisting that all pets returning from Europe receive a tapeworm dose before coming home. From the end of 2011, EU legislation will prevent the UK authorities from implementing this. This has been described as 'European Harmonisation riding roughshod over the needs of individual countries'. There is still time for the UK Government to make a stand on this! Contact your MEP at http://www.europarl.org.uk/section/your-meps      End of report.       What's going on here guys.......has the world gone mad? The EU want to infect us with their diseases in the cause of 'European Harmonisation'? What next, I wonder.....Rabies?
[ Last edit by Caz May 08, 2011, 04:35 PM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #5921 on: May 08, 2011, 04:15 PM »

Hey guys, I got this from yesterday's Telegraph........UK DOGS AND HUMANS FACE TAPEWORM INVASION FROM EUROPE...............British vets are worried about the introduction of a new dog tapeworm infection that can also affect humans.  Echinococcus Multilocularis is endemic in many EU countries. If humans are infected, tapeworm larvae can grow in the liver, and can spread to the lungs, brain and other organs. If left untreated, it's fatal in 95 per cent of cases. To date, Britain has been protected by insisting that all pets returning from Europe receive a tapeworm dose before coming home. From the end of 2011, EU legislation will prevent the UK authorities from implementing this. This has been described as 'European Harmonisation riding roughshod over the needs if individual countries'. There is still time for the UK Government to make a stand on this! Contact your MEP at http://www.europarl.org.uk/section/your-meps      End of report.       What's going on here guys.......has the world gone mad? The EU want to infect us with their diseases in the cause of 'European Harmonisation'? What next, I wonder.....Rabies?

That is rather stupid and severely gross yes
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #5922 on: May 08, 2011, 04:25 PM »

Hey guys, I got this from yesterday's Telegraph........UK DOGS AND HUMANS FACE TAPEWORM INVASION FROM EUROPE...............British vets are worried about the introduction of a new dog tapeworm infection that can also affect humans.  Echinococcus Multilocularis is endemic in many EU countries. If humans are infected, tapeworm larvae can grow in the liver, and can spread to the lungs, brain and other organs. If left untreated, it's fatal in 95 per cent of cases. To date, Britain has been protected by insisting that all pets returning from Europe receive a tapeworm dose before coming home. From the end of 2011, EU legislation will prevent the UK authorities from implementing this. This has been described as 'European Harmonisation riding roughshod over the needs if individual countries'. There is still time for the UK Government to make a stand on this! Contact your MEP at http://www.europarl.org.uk/section/your-meps      End of report.       What's going on here guys.......has the world gone mad? The EU want to infect us with their diseases in the cause of 'European Harmonisation'? What next, I wonder.....Rabies?

Yes, I know about dogs being treated for tapes before being allowed in to the UK - good idea.  One thing about tapes is that they are visible, so the dog can be treated asap - also heart worm medication (not required in the UK) deals with tapes also.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #5923 on: May 08, 2011, 04:38 PM »

Yes, I know about dogs being treated for tapes before being allowed in to the UK - good idea.  One thing about tapes is that they are visible, so the dog can be treated asap - also heart worm medication (not required in the UK) deals with tapes also.
Well apparently, not for much longer of nothing is done about it.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #5924 on: May 08, 2011, 04:56 PM »

Well apparently, not for much longer of nothing is done about it.

It'd be interesting to know how many dogs this will apply to - in terms of the entire dog population, not that many I'd think.  Also, as I mentioned, it is very easy to treat for tapes as they are visible.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 394 [395] 396 397 398 ... 610 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »