Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 487 [488] 489 490 491 ... 610 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 249647 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7305 on: September 26, 2012, 06:35 AM »

@Mark
Don't like the word "should." It implies a moral judgement and furthermore, there's no "should" about it.
Violence in the name of religion is wrong, whoever's doing it but what should concern us is why there's this depth of hatred towards the West in the first place. We could start with the intervention of the West in Arabic affairs, starting with the crusades.
Also think if we'd dropped food/medicine parcels on Iraq instead of bombs, it would have been difficult to hate us.
Plenty of right wingers also scare the you-know-what out of me eg those fanatics murdering doctors outside abortion clinics
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7306 on: September 26, 2012, 09:18 AM »

BBH, damn right we are talking about moral judgement here and I wish you wouldn't find excuses for their appalling actions. Being an Islamic apologist is no longer the sensible stance. It was understandable in the aftermath of 9/11 but it turns out there are dangerous ideologies that are widespread among Muslims in all countries.

This is not about Western foreign policy - their animal like behaviour in response to being offended by trivial acts is a worldwide epidemic that includes the Western world too. Whether you're in Pakistan or Scotland, if you draw a cartoon of Mohammed, your life is in danger as a consequence.

But what we must fear most as a society is their admiration for barbaric laws at the heart of Islam. The religion hasn't evolved with secular morality like the rest of them.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7307 on: September 26, 2012, 09:56 AM »

Please read the second line of my post again. BTW I am an atheist.
Not all Muslims are violent fanatics and it's dangerous to assume so.
Have a look at history, all religions have used their ideology to justify terrible things, it's nothing new. Just these days everyone's got superior weapons with which to maim and kill.
And sorry, but you cannot just dismiss Western foreign policy as if it's some sort of irrelevance.
Not sure that Western Liberal Democracies can actually live side by side with any religion tbh. Look at the way the church in this country seeks to impose its morality.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7308 on: September 26, 2012, 10:11 AM »

And I would never make that assumption. I accept there are liberal Muslims.

Have a look at history, all religions have used their ideology to justify terrible things, it's nothing new.
I agree but as I mentioned before, other religions have evolved with secular morality while Islam has stubbornly resisted.
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7309 on: September 26, 2012, 11:10 AM »

I agree but as I mentioned before, other religions have evolved with secular morality while Islam has stubbornly resisted.

And our lives are at stake.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7310 on: September 26, 2012, 11:33 AM »

Please read the second line of my post again. BTW I am an atheist.
Have a look at history, all religions have used their ideology to justify terrible things, it's nothing new. Just these days everyone's got superior weapons with which to maim and kill.
And sorry, but you cannot just dismiss Western foreign policy as if it's some sort of irrelevance.
Not sure that Western Liberal Democracies can actually live side by side with any religion tbh. Look at the way the church in this country seeks to impose its morality.

All fanatics are scary from whatever religion or ideology but it seems that Islam has a high proportion of fanatics.    Western Liberal Democracies and religion have little choice but to live side by side.     I think that is democracy.   
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7311 on: September 26, 2012, 11:34 AM »

I am Buddhist but still celebrate Christmas I see no harm in that. I also do not force my beliefs on others it is up to each individual what they believe.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7312 on: September 26, 2012, 11:50 AM »

but it seems that Islam has a high proportion of fanatics.
Massively so, yeah.

And I think the proportion of sympathisers within moderate Muslim communities is probably quite high as well.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7313 on: September 26, 2012, 07:54 PM »

I suppose it was inevitable that Abu Hamza wouldn't go quietly and would lodge an appeal against the decision of the European Court of Human Rights - and now it seems that the US don't really want him now anyway.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19730438
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7314 on: September 26, 2012, 07:59 PM »

Apparently the appeal process may just be a matter of days and will almost certainly fail.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7315 on: September 26, 2012, 08:07 PM »

I know, but that's not the point.  This to me looks like yet another example of British weakness when it comes to dealing with those they're afraid to offend, although I doubt if the Muslim population is too bothered about Abu Hamza at the moment
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: News Thread « Reply #7316 on: September 27, 2012, 10:12 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2208967/Cecil-Chao-Sze-tsung-Billionaire-offers-40million-reward-man-marry-lesbian-daughter.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Mark, your mission for the year.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7317 on: September 27, 2012, 10:13 AM »

superman
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7318 on: September 27, 2012, 10:23 AM »

RIP Andy Williams - you'll never be forgotten in my household Very Happy

IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7319 on: September 27, 2012, 10:28 AM »

He must have come very quickly with any new evidence as it is only a matter of days since the last ruling.  The money that has been wasted on these men who would not hesitate to blow us all up.  It is our tax money that is paying for all this.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 487 [488] 489 490 491 ... 610 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »