Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 500 [501] 502 503 504 ... 610 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 249030 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7500 on: December 10, 2012, 10:51 AM »

You may not find prank calls entertaining but they are commonplace in the radio industry. People seem to love them hence why the DJs do them.

It's just a terrible coincidence that not only has a prank call upset someone but that someone was suicidal to begin with. That is why people feel sorry for the DJs - they have to carry that guilt of someone's death for simply doing something that is perfectly normal in their industry and almost never causes hurt to anyone.

The former Capital Radio DJ Steve Penk said he would have probably done that prank call himself.
[ Last edit by Mark December 10, 2012, 10:55 AM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Thread « Reply #7501 on: December 10, 2012, 11:13 AM »

I see where you're coming from Teejay,and I agree with you when you say it was stupid-it absolutely was.But I do think that whatever producers,or radio station heads,or whoever it was that made the decision to run that segment on air is just as culpable as they are.

I agree completely with that, but then if the call had never been made in the first instance none of the rest of it would have happened. As I said before, I don't know if this one incident on its own made the nurse do what she did, but it seems to have been the catalyst.

I think the problem with the issue is that, as Mark suggests, these prank calls are considered normal in the industry, or at least they have been. No one seems to see any harm in them. Maybe someone should explain that to that nurse's children, you know, no harm was meant, we didn't give any thought to how distressed your mother might get, etc, etc. I'm sure that would give them some comfort. Not.

I just think the whole thing is symptomatic of a wider mindset in the media, not just in Australia, but around the world, including the UK, that it is fine to do whatever you like, cause distress, invade privacy, whatever, as long as you don't mean any harm. Maybe the one good thing that will come of this is that people will start thinking of consequences before they look for the next poor sod they seek to get a cheap 'joke' out of.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7502 on: December 10, 2012, 12:41 PM »

You may not find prank calls entertaining but they are commonplace in the radio industry. People seem to love them hence why the DJs do them.

It's just a terrible coincidence that not only has a prank call upset someone but that someone was suicidal to begin with. That is why people feel sorry for the DJs - they have to carry that guilt of someone's death for simply doing something that is perfectly normal in their industry and almost never causes hurt to anyone.

The former Capital Radio DJ Steve Penk said he would have probably done that prank call himself.

They obtained medical information and then proceeded to go ahead and broadcast it publicly. Regardless of what happened to the nurse, that's an offence.

IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7503 on: December 10, 2012, 02:32 PM »

They obtained medical information and then proceeded to go ahead and broadcast it publicly. Regardless of what happened to the nurse, that's an offence.
I completely believe them when they say that aspect wasn't premeditated. They did their usual job of pranking someone with the expectation of being hung up on and the management perhaps didn't do theirs in approving it for broadcast.
[ Last edit by Mark December 10, 2012, 02:42 PM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7504 on: December 10, 2012, 03:11 PM »

Do you remember Jonathon Ross and Russell Brand they phoned Andrew Sachs and were rude and disgusting. I'm afraid I think that was terrible and I think they got of lightly this time it was a suicide I don't know if there was something other than the phone call that made this woman kill herself. Some people may think they were playing a prank but serious thought should be taken before doing anything like this.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7505 on: December 10, 2012, 03:17 PM »

I completely believe them when they say that aspect wasn't premeditated. They did their usual job of pranking someone with the expectation of being hung up on and the management perhaps didn't do theirs in approving it for broadcast.

Well, they knew that they had obtained private medical information and then proceeded to broadcast it anyway (the call wasn't live), so it's not a case of management "perhaps" not doing their job.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: News Thread « Reply #7506 on: December 10, 2012, 04:20 PM »

Some people are going to look mighty stupid if it turns out this poor nurse died of natural causes.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7507 on: December 10, 2012, 04:21 PM »

Well, they knew that they had obtained private medical information and then proceeded to broadcast it anyway (the call wasn't live), so it's not a case of management "perhaps" not doing their job.
It depends what rules are involved which is why I say "perhaps" as it's still unclear.

Either way, if there is blame it is with management, not the DJs. They just did their job by ringing up assuming the phone would be put down shortly after being told off. They couldn't have tried harder to sound disingenuous. Once the call was done, it's not their decision what to do with it.

Some people are going to look mighty stupid if it turns out this poor nurse died of natural causes.
My hope is that a friend tells the media that she was already contemplating suicide anyway. Even though we can safely assume this was the case anyway, actually hearing it from friend might take the pressure off the DJs a little bit. But sadly they will always have to live with the guilt from knowing their actions were the straw that broke the camel's back.

The fact is, it could happen to anyone of us. We might get into a nasty argument with a colleague causing them to cry and then the next day discover they committed suicide in the night but at least you wouldn't have the media blame the death on you.
[ Last edit by Mark December 10, 2012, 04:50 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Thread « Reply #7508 on: December 10, 2012, 05:46 PM »

Well yes, but on the face of it that looks unlikely. The police must have some knowledge of how this woman was found, which has led to the suspicion of suicide. A post mortem takes place tomorrow.

I'm also not sure we should say that something else caused this woman to commit suicide as a statement of  fact when we just don't know. I'd bet good money that the woman either feared losing her job or was simply mortified over what happened, believing it tobe her fault, but that is just my view. Either way, her death is a tragedy for her family.

In a way I hope the DJ's do feel guilty over what has happened. I would never suggest they deliberately set out to upset anyone to any great degree. I don't believe for a second that there was any malice in what they did, or that they should be the only people to carry the can for it. However, there was a serious lack of judgement. I go back to my point earlier. What on earth made them think that wasting the time of that hospital was a good idea? What made them think they had the right to make fun out of the Duchess of Cambridge, or anyone else for that matter, being in hospital in the first place?  If a bit of guilt prevents something like this happening again it will be worth it. Just for the record, if I upset someone, or even suspected I had, to the degree that they even considered taking their own life I would never, ever forgive myself, but neither would I seek sympathy for it. Frankly I think the DJ's doing interviews now, crying in public over the events is an insult to that nurse's family.

The one thing that has been said over and over by the radio station concerned is that the DJ's didn't think they would get through to anyone, they thought someone would realise it was a prank and hang up the phone. Well, they were dealing with a hospital, so when they realised they were speaking to nursing staff why didn't they, the DJ's, just hang up? I suspect they might say they didn't think to do that. It appears as if not much thinking was going on, unfortunately.

IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7509 on: December 10, 2012, 05:55 PM »

What hasn't been talked about much is the possibility that the blame might actually be on the hospital management. I'm very sceptical of how supportive, if at all, they were after the event.

Perhaps it wasn't the prank call that upset her but the reaction she got from her superiors. It seems the hospital didn't have any security measures in place to deal with a situation like this which alone places a lot of the responsibility on them. But if instead of accepting responsibility they were intending on using the nurse as a scapegoat, and she became aware of this, then you do actually have something tangible to blame on the suicide rather than just a prank call.

A possibility but hopefully not the case.
[ Last edit by Mark December 10, 2012, 05:59 PM ] IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7510 on: December 10, 2012, 06:06 PM »

What hasn't been talked about much is the possibility that the blame might actually be on the hospital management. I'm very sceptical of how supportive, if at all, they were after the event.

Perhaps it wasn't the prank call that upset her at all but the reaction she got from her superiors. It seems the hospital didn't have any procedure in place to deal with a situation like this which alone places some of the responsibility on them. But if instead of wanting to accept responsibility they were intending on using the nurse as a scape goat and she became aware of this, then you could say the suicide was more to blame on them than the radio station.

A possibility but hopefully not the case.

An ex-Royal bodyguard said he couldn't understand how it happened. He said that whenever a member of the Royal family is in a hotel or a hospital etc the Royal protection officers instruct any calls regarding the family to be passed straight to them.  That should have been the case at the hospital.  He also said that a member of the Royal family would never phone a hospital.  The staff at the hospital should have been made aware of that fact.

It seems surprising that the hospital have said that the nurse was not facing any disciplinary action. I would have thought she would have been. If she wasn't facing action then I hope it was made clear to her that she wasn't.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7511 on: December 10, 2012, 06:10 PM »

Yes, I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't have sacked her even though it is solely the fault of the hospital's management. And I wonder what conversations her superiors had with her behind closed doors before she decided to take her life.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Thread « Reply #7512 on: December 10, 2012, 06:25 PM »

I will take the husband's statement far more seriously than all the speculations here and everywhere since he knew her the best.

I also don't think a couple of people here understand the mindset of a person who's about to commit suicide. A woman like her, who happens to be a nurse, isn't going to lead the world to believe something that isn't true. People tend to be very honest when they choose their own death and in this case, it seems, she really couldn’t deal with the fact that she had misinformed the other nurse about the call, who happened to give away all the details to the prank callers. She simply couldn’t imagine the consequences after that kind of scandal, especially when it involves a media like the UK and the royal family. Also, if anything, she strikes me as someone who takes her profession very seriously and quite intimidated by the so called royal family.

I don't have ill feelings towards the prank callers but a lesson is clearly to be learned here. I hope this all takes a different turn and the craziness surrounding the royal family goes away once and for all.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #7513 on: December 10, 2012, 08:34 PM »

Agree there has to have been some other issues and this must have pushed her over the edge as it seems too extreme to be entirely because of this.

Also agree that it does seem a harmless thing to have done and virtually every radio station in the world does something similar virtually every day. I do think perhaps they should have hung up or stopped when they realised they were getting through to actual information. I do also believe the hospital staff who spoke to them were pretty naive in believing the Queen would actually ring the hospital herself. Aside from the appalling accents, the fact she asked about her granddaughter should have been a give away too.

Anyway a very sad situation and all my thoughts are with the family.

Also would have expected that such a call had already been tried about a thousand times previously.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 December 10, 2012, 08:38 PM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7514 on: December 10, 2012, 09:56 PM »

Everyone seems to be very quick to assume that the nurse involved must have had 'other issues'.  You have to remember that she came to Britain from India only 10 years ago and had been brought up in a different culture where the thought of bringing shame or disgrace on your family, employers or country might have much more resonance than it would for many of us.  Add to that the fact that she may not have been as quick to recognise a 'phoney' accent as perhaps others might and also that she was alone in London - far away from her husband and children.  I can well see that she may have felt the humiliation too much to bear. 

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 500 [501] 502 503 504 ... 610 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »