Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 501 [502] 503 504 505 ... 609 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 235501 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7515 on: December 10, 2012, 11:29 PM »

You have to remember that she came to Britain from India only 10 years ago and had been brought up in a different culture where the thought of bringing shame or disgrace on your family, employers or country might have much more resonance than it would for many of us.
That's a good point and is something I had considered.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Thread « Reply #7516 on: December 11, 2012, 10:34 AM »

Everyone seems to be very quick to assume that the nurse involved must have had 'other issues'.  You have to remember that she came to Britain from India only 10 years ago and had been brought up in a different culture where the thought of bringing shame or disgrace on your family, employers or country might have much more resonance than it would for many of us.  Add to that the fact that she may not have been as quick to recognise a 'phoney' accent as perhaps others might and also that she was alone in London - far away from her husband and children.  I can well see that she may have felt the humiliation too much to bear. 

I think that is fair comment. To be fair, I think most people find it too awful to contemplate that one stupid prank could have cost a woman her life, which is why other reasons are being sought, but I do think you need to imagine the position she might have been. I know that if I'd found myself in that position, even knowing that no disciplinary action was taken, I'd be mortified.

I think there are people seeking to blame the hospital too, which I think is unfair. Sure, some have picked up on the fact that the phone call in the first instance was handled by a nurse, not a receptionist, but honestly, who in their right mind would think that a hospital would receive a prank phone call in the early hours of the morning? Also, would anyone else have picked up on the 'joke'. I'm not so sure. It seems to me that the wrong here lies with those who made the call in the first instance, and those who approved it for broadcast.

The point, it seems to me, is that the call was aimed at poking 'fun' at the royals, because they are considered to be fair game for some reason. The thing is though, the patient could have been any young woman expecting her first baby and experiencing this extreme form of 'morning sickness'. I don't think anyone deserves that level of invasion of privacy, and no one deserves to be put in a position where their life is intolerable to them all because a radio station thousands of miles away felt like a laugh at someone else's expense.

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: News Thread « Reply #7517 on: December 11, 2012, 11:02 AM »

Feel for the DJs, frankly, and the ridiculous vitriol they've been subjected to. I'm not a fan of prank calls, but they were just doing their jobs - doing what DJs do, doing what management had told them to do. They're not monsters and they couldn't possibly have expected that outcome.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7518 on: December 11, 2012, 11:45 AM »

If blame is to be levelled at anyone surely it must be the DJs' superiors who decided to air the interview.  They must have known what sensitive ground they were on.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Thread « Reply #7519 on: December 11, 2012, 05:52 PM »

The nurse had left a suicide note for the family. The family I am sure already knows what it is all about. The husband has already called for a thorough investigation into the death and as far as I know, there will be a 2nd autopsy once the body is returned to her home land.

Though she only transferred the call to the ward of Prince William's wife Catherine, there’s a specific protocol for those transfers. You simply just don’t transfer calls especially to the so called royal family, but once the prank caller identified themselves as the Queen and Charles, I don’t think she even dared to think about it twice about the typical procedure that should follow to verify the callers first before transferring the call. The royal family seems to generate a significant amount of fear because the 2nd nurse sounded incredibly nervous while she was answering all the questions. And she was extremely sincere about it too and had no doubts about the call and she’s not even from India. Just goes to show how nervous she was to even detect the accent.

Also, the nurse didn’t commit suicide right after but two days after, so we have no way of knowing what went on in the meantime. Both her brother and husband have confirmed her as a very strong minded person. You have to be in fact when you are a nurse. It is predictably one of the toughest jobs in the world. 
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7520 on: December 11, 2012, 06:02 PM »

Feel for the DJs, frankly, and the ridiculous vitriol they've been subjected to. I'm not a fan of prank calls, but they were just doing their jobs - doing what DJs do, doing what management had told them to do. They're not monsters and they couldn't possibly have expected that outcome.
good post
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Thread « Reply #7521 on: December 11, 2012, 06:23 PM »

Actually prank calls can have all sorts of negative outcome especially if it involves people in power. I don’t feel sorry for the DJs at all, because they should own the responsibly first of all given the nature of the action, but most importantly, some part of it, they have pretty much brought it upon themselves. They are not robots and should be aware of the consequences as well. Besides, how much do we know about them anyway or about their lives? Very rarely a good action has a negative reaction.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7522 on: December 11, 2012, 08:47 PM »

Actually prank calls can have all sorts of negative outcome especially if it involves people in power. I don’t feel sorry for the DJs at all, because they should own the responsibly first of all given the nature of the action, but most importantly, some part of it, they have pretty much brought it upon themselves. They are not robots and should be aware of the consequences as well. Besides, how much do we know about them anyway or about their lives? Very rarely a good action has a negative reaction.

We can also blame the listeners to any radio station which makes prank calls.    We get the level of rubbish we are willing to put up with - on television, on the radio and in the press.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7523 on: December 12, 2012, 01:32 PM »

Just briefly, I was just watching some news and it was announced that the nurse who was found dead after the prank call was found hanged in her flat.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7524 on: December 12, 2012, 01:37 PM »

Great. Because how she died is really relevant.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7525 on: December 12, 2012, 01:40 PM »

Great. Because how she died is really relevant.

Well at least it gets rid of any notion that it could have been natural causes and that people are jumping the gun and barking up the wrong tree. For goodness sake.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Thread « Reply #7526 on: December 12, 2012, 01:47 PM »

We can also blame the listeners to any radio station which makes prank calls.    We get the level of rubbish we are willing to put up with - on television, on the radio and in the press.

That's a very good point. The mediocrity knows no bound. It's very rare for me to listen to a radio show that's not either broadcasting music the kind I like or hosting a program where they bring all the talented people in the world to talk about all the great things they are up to. It is ultimately a choice whether you are going to put up with some garbage stuff on a daily basis or you are going to listen to genuine stuff that will help you evolve yourself to a higher level.

It’s a shame that anyone would condone this sort of behavior or even support it by saying that perhaps the nurse had other issues piling up anyway. They are forgetting the fact that that’s not even the issue here but the fact that, you don’t make calls to a HOSPITAL to people who take their job very seriously because it’s a very serious place. They don’t have time to think. They deal with sick people and the matter with life and death on a daily basis. That’s their job. Where’s your discretion? Would I have made a call like that if I were DJ? No way in hell.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Thread « Reply #7527 on: December 12, 2012, 01:48 PM »

Just briefly, I was just watching some news and it was announced that the nurse who was found dead after the prank call was found hanged in her flat.

Yes, of course. She left a suicide note after all. It was quite obvious.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7528 on: December 12, 2012, 06:22 PM »

Well at least it gets rid of any notion that it could have been natural causes and that people are jumping the gun and barking up the wrong tree. For goodness sake.

It's no one's business to know how she died. That family has already been through enough. It would have sufficed to say that her death was officially ruled a suicide and left it at that.

The notion that the public has a right to know stuff like this is part of the reason why we have such a shitty media.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7529 on: December 12, 2012, 06:27 PM »

No one is saying we have a right to know but it just so happens these additional details of her suicide are a big story here. There is no rational reason to be hostile towards someone who is simply letting us know about this story.
[ Last edit by Mark December 12, 2012, 06:31 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 501 [502] 503 504 505 ... 609 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »