Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 505 [506] 507 508 509 ... 609 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 236825 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7575 on: December 17, 2012, 04:14 PM »

Sorry my mistake I thought it was Newburgh getting my wires crossed.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Thread « Reply #7576 on: December 17, 2012, 07:46 PM »

Sadly, you only have to consider what happened at Dunblane to know that gun laws will not defeat a nutter. That said, anything that makes it more difficult for madmen to get their hands on guns has to be good
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Thread « Reply #7577 on: December 18, 2012, 03:55 PM »

I just wanted to say I'm just learning about the nurse, and I'm so sorry for her family and the whole fallout mess for all involved.

I'm also just learning about the school shooting. Just absolutely devastating and of course I think of my own child, my students and their parents, and my fellow colleagues.
I've also learned the shooter had Aspergers Syndrome, which is doubly devastating for me as my own son is an Aspie, and is one of the most purest, kindest and gentlest persons I've ever had the privilege to know in my life. This comes not only from me as his mother, but from anyone who knows him.
This shooter pre-planned this, and smashed his hard-drive to cover his tracks. This is as non-Asperger's as it gets. I'm not a doctor, but I am extremely knowledgeable about this because it's been my life's work, and I've worked with innumerable students with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and I can confirm there have been many students who were diagnosed Asperger's when clearly there were other issues involved. By the same token, I've also advocated for students/parents whose child was misdiagnosed when they should have been diagnosed Asperger's.

It's just all so awful, and I'm heartbroken for all those parents.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Thread « Reply #7578 on: December 18, 2012, 04:41 PM »

I also wanted to share that 5 years ago I worked closely with a 14 yr old who, frankly, scared the **** out of me. He was much bigger than me, and would strut the school like he owned it, constantly yelling profanities and being as disruptive as he could possibly be.  We (as staff) were given scant information from our principal about this new student, other than we had to handle him with kid gloves because he was 'troubled.'

There were many times I was in a room by myself with him, trying to help him with his schoolwork which was never done, nor did he have interest in it.. and, just in all honesty, trying to reason with him as calmly as possible. I used humour A LOT!! because I always felt I was in self-preservation mode. 9 times out of 10 he would tell me to **** off and who the **** did I think I was..blah blah. I tried really, really hard with him, because I believe in my job to reach every student no matter how difficult it can be.

Weeks later he shot and killed his own mother and is currently serving a first-degree murder charge, sentenced as an adult.

I can't help but think of the possibility that that could have been me, or our students, or my colleagues.

We have strict lock-down procedures which are second nature to us as staff and students, but the problem is that the shooter is usually an ex or current student who also knows these procedures only too well.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7579 on: December 20, 2012, 11:45 AM »

I also wanted to share that 5 years ago I worked closely with a 14 yr old who, frankly, scared the sh*t out of me. He was much bigger than me, and would strut the school like he owned it, constantly yelling profanities and being as disruptive as he could possibly be.  We (as staff) were given scant information from our principal about this new student, other than we had to handle him with kid gloves because he was 'troubled.'

There were many times I was in a room by myself with him, trying to help him with his schoolwork which was never done, nor did he have interest in it.. and, just in all honesty, trying to reason with him as calmly as possible. I used humour A LOT!! because I always felt I was in self-preservation mode. 9 times out of 10 he would tell me to f**k off and who the f**k did I think I was..blah blah. I tried really, really hard with him, because I believe in my job to reach every student no matter how difficult it can be.

Weeks later he shot and killed his own mother and is currently serving a first-degree murder charge, sentenced as an adult.

I can't help but think of the possibility that that could have been me, or our students, or my colleagues.

We have strict lock-down procedures which are second nature to us as staff and students, but the problem is that the shooter is usually an ex or current student who also knows these procedures only too well.
OMG Linda. shocking  Thanks for sharing this.

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Thread « Reply #7580 on: December 29, 2012, 04:11 PM »

BLACK SATURDAY FOR THE WORLD

A female physiotherapy student was beaten and gang raped in Delhi on 16 December 2012, and died thirteen days later undergoing emergency treatment in Singapore for brain and gastrointestinal damage from the assault. The female victim and a male companion boarded a bus in South Delhi in the evening after watching a movie, and were assaulted by five passengers already aboard. She was taken to Safdarjang Hospital, received multiple surgeries, and was placed on mechanical ventilation. On 26 December, she was moved to Singapore for further treatment, and died on 29 December.

As of 21 December 2012, six men, including the bus driver, have been arrested. The incident has generated international coverage and was condemned by the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women, who called on the Government of India and the Government of Delhi “to do everything in their power to take up radical reforms, ensure justice and reach out with robust public services to make women’s lives more safe and secure”. Public protests took place in Delhi, where thousands of protesters clashed with security forces. Similar protests also took place through out the country in major cities.

The victims, a 23-year-old physiotherapy student and her male friend, were on their way home after watching a movie in Saket in South Delhi.They boarded a bus that was being driven by joyriders at about 9.30 pm. The woman became suspicious when the bus deviated from its normal route and its doors were shut. When she objected, the group of six men already on board taunted the couple, asking what they were doing alone at a late hour.When the victim's friend tried to intervene, he was beaten, gagged and knocked unconscious with an iron rod. The men then dragged the woman to the rear of the bus beating her with the rod and raping her while the bus drove. Medical reports later suggested that the woman suffered serious injuries to her abdomen, intestines and genitals due to assault and penetration using a blunt object suspected to be the same rod. That rod was later described by police as being a rusted, L-shaped implement of the type used with a wheel jack. After the beatings and rape ended, the gang threw the two from the moving bus, and one of the perpetrators later cleaned the vehicle. Police impounded it the next day.The woman and her companion were found by a passerby on the road, partially clothed and unconscious, around 11 pm. The passerby phoned Delhi Police, who took the couple to hospital, where the woman was given emergency treatment and placed on mechanical ventilation.

On 28 December 2012, 11 AM (IST), her condition was "extremely critical" and the Chief Executive Officer of the Mount Elizabeth Hospital said that the woman suffered brain damage, pneumonia, abdominal infection, and that she was "fighting for her life." [20] Her condition continued to deteriorate, and she died at 4:45 AM on 29 December, Singapore Standard Time.
[ Last edit by ZARFEEN15 December 30, 2012, 06:54 AM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7581 on: December 29, 2012, 05:16 PM »

Black Saturday for the world Zarfeen! We know that there are really evil people in the world, but with 6 men together, you would expect at least some of them to have enough decency to have put a stop to this wicked act! What kind of world are we living in.........
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7582 on: December 29, 2012, 08:04 PM »

I've been wondering that for a while...........
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7583 on: December 29, 2012, 11:17 PM »

Just heard about this lady's death on the BBC news.  The whole incident got plenty of the coverage in the UK.  I just find it so utterly sickening and unbelievable that human beings can behave in this way, although referring to these people as 'humans' is an insult to the billions of decent people who live on this planet.  However, given the nature of her ordeal and her horrific injuries I can't help but feel that death was a merciful release.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Thread « Reply #7584 on: December 30, 2012, 06:54 AM »

Black Saturday for the world Zarfeen!

I agree Caz, just changed the title...

After this incident, my mom is even more scared of sending me out for any purpose and I understand her fears. She makes sure that I'm accompanied by my brother or something....
You never know who would turn out to be so indecent, it may be your driver, your trainer, your neighbour, your milkman, your doctor, a worker anybody. Very recently, I went to a mall with my friends to watch a movie. While we were in the escalator, there was a gang of college-going boys who were passing lewd comments on me and my friends. They were talking in a different language and a bit of broken english but we can very well understand what they are trying to convey. When I told this to a security guard in one of the shops, he just told me to mind my own business and move on.  shocking Basically, nobody really cares and keep saying 'it happens'. It is high time that for a change in the laws of our country against sexual molestation or harassment of any sort. I feel people who have been charged for rape should be stoned to death or at least be given a life sentence in jail.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7585 on: December 30, 2012, 06:48 PM »

I agree Caz, just changed the title...

After this incident, my mom is even more scared of sending me out for any purpose and I understand her fears. She makes sure that I'm accompanied by my brother or something....
You never know who would turn out to be so indecent, it may be your driver, your trainer, your neighbour, your milkman, your doctor, a worker anybody. Very recently, I went to a mall with my friends to watch a movie. While we were in the escalator, there was a gang of college-going boys who were passing lewd comments on me and my friends. They were talking in a different language and a bit of broken english but we can very well understand what they are trying to convey. When I told this to a security guard in one of the shops, he just told me to mind my own business and move on.  shocking Basically, nobody really cares and keep saying 'it happens'. It is high time that for a change in the laws of our country against sexual molestation or harassment of any sort. I feel people who have been charged for rape should be stoned to death or at least be given a life sentence in jail.
Sadly Zarfeen India isn't the only country where terrible things happen.  Look at the recent school shootings in the US for one thing.  I'm very glad I'm not a parent these days because the UK isn't a particuarly safe place either, and even I'm constantly a little on my guard when I'm out.

I signed an online global petition which requested your government to take action following this attack, but I fear that this will be a small voice crying in the wilderness.
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7586 on: December 30, 2012, 09:07 PM »

^
Aileen,
copy and paste that petition's web address here and maybe we can help make that cry a wee bit louder.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7587 on: December 30, 2012, 09:58 PM »

^
Aileen,
copy and paste that petition's web address here and maybe we can help make that cry a wee bit louder.
I'll see if I can find it and let you know.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7588 on: December 31, 2012, 07:01 AM »

^
Aileen,
Good idea Tom! It probably won't do much good, but we have to try!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7589 on: December 31, 2012, 05:16 PM »

Unfortunately I couldn't find it. Frown
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 505 [506] 507 508 509 ... 609 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »