Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 509 [510] 511 512 513 ... 608 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 233548 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Thread « Reply #7635 on: January 21, 2013, 07:48 PM »

Not at all. I actually thought about that when I typed my post. Those events are irrelevant to my point as mutually assured annihilation was not a factor due to only one side having nuclear weapons.

Well anyway, I think it's best for me not to talk about these things.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7636 on: January 21, 2013, 08:15 PM »

The Brave New World is very different than the 'New World Order'. You don't want to live in the New World Order. Neither do I of course.

Anyway, this feels like a forbidden subject so I don't want to continue anymore but it's good to be aware of these things. But more importantly keep an eye on current events especially the political ones.

Wrong! You read it exactly as I meant it, though I wouldn't want to live under the New World Order either!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7637 on: January 21, 2013, 08:21 PM »

I wouldn't want to live under the New World Order either!
Sounds quite peaceful to me - all the countries seeing eye to eye Very Happy
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Thread « Reply #7638 on: January 21, 2013, 08:23 PM »

I'm going to carry on living in my own wee world where it's nice.

You are all welcome. Smile
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Thread « Reply #7639 on: January 21, 2013, 10:12 PM »

I'm going to carry on living in my own wee world where it's nice.

You are all welcome. Smile
  You see, thats part of the problem. The Western democracies are underpinned by a system that depends on keeping a lot of  people sweet rather than just a powerful elite. And people are notoriously selfish.  In a world of limited resources, great inequality, and unrealistic aspirations great trouble is accumulating.  Many, many people will suffer before any stable new world order will emerge. And military power that helped police and contain these problems in the past is not only shifting, but becoming less effective. And when a powerful organisation or interest is seriously threatened, it will stop at nothing in its power to maintain its advantage. Nothing.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Thread « Reply #7640 on: January 22, 2013, 03:54 AM »

I don't mean to be part of the problem, Fiverlings.

I just go about my life loving my family, friends and neighbours, recycling, conserving energy sources, walking and raising funds for educating children all over the world/Autism/Cancer/AIDS/Alzeimer's/AA/abused children/homeless.

I check the news every day, but the world is too damn depressing.. so I carry on doing my bit in my own wee world, and generally tend to avoid conflict. Smile
[ Last edit by scotnadian January 22, 2013, 03:58 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7641 on: January 22, 2013, 06:17 AM »

The Iraq war finished me off thinking I could change the world. All most of us can do is what Scot does.
Think global, act local.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7642 on: January 22, 2013, 11:03 AM »

Just read the front page of the times this morning. Cameron has put troops on alert to go to Mali. When oh when is that idiot going to learn the army has been decimated with the number of troops being given the boot. Now he wants us to get involved in another war in a far off country. How many young men are going to be killed in yet another war that we should not be involved in. Let Africa sort out its own problems we should have nothing to do with it. God give me strengh how much longer does it take for this government to understand that the people of this country do NOT want to be involved in other countries wars.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Thread « Reply #7643 on: January 22, 2013, 11:12 AM »

I don't mean to be part of the problem, Fiverlings.

I just go about my life loving my family, friends and neighbours, recycling, conserving energy sources, walking and raising funds for educating children all over the world/Autism/Cancer/AIDS/Alzeimer's/AA/abused children/homeless.

I check the news every day, but the world is too damn depressing.. so I carry on doing my bit in my own wee world, and generally tend to avoid conflict. Smile

Not criticising you personally - the whole damn human race is at fault. Its literally in our DNA. We are programmed to hang together to meet external threats. Thats why wars are so popular with Governments, despite what they might say.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7644 on: January 26, 2013, 02:06 AM »

Just read the front page of the times this morning. Cameron has put troops on alert to go to Mali. When oh when is that idiot going to learn the army has been decimated with the number of troops being given the boot. Now he wants us to get involved in another war in a far off country. How many young men are going to be killed in yet another war that we should not be involved in. Let Africa sort out its own problems we should have nothing to do with it. God give me strengh how much longer does it take for this government to understand that the people of this country do NOT want to be involved in other countries wars.
It's not only the present government that's to blame.  Look what Blair got us into, and Brown meekly followed suit.  Cameron's now doing the same, spineless wonder that he is. He was sh*tting himself over the Algeria hostage crisis, so god help us if we did ever get involved in a war which concerns us directly with him as PM.

Harold Wilson had the right idea when he flatly refused President Lyndon Johnson's request that the UK get involved in Vietnam.  Perhaps if Blair & Co had taken the same firm stance we wouldn't be in the mess we're in now and all these young lives would have been spared.  Forget the 'special relationship' between Britain and the US - it doesn't, and never did, exist except in the eyes of Roosevelt and Churchill, who coined the phrase back in 1945.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7645 on: January 26, 2013, 02:08 AM »

I always find it amusing that we thought nothing of coming into Africa, taking all of its resources (which we still do) and not only ruling it, but drawing up arbitrary borders - creating tension/rivalries on purpose.

Much of Africa's problems were created by imperialism so...
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7646 on: January 26, 2013, 02:12 AM »

Anyways, I think that the UK or France or the USA are not in any danger of having their own territory attacked more than the odd terrorist act so why not just dismantle the armies in general? All three are nuclear-capable so I doubt Mali would ever try and invade the UK.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7647 on: January 26, 2013, 01:07 PM »

Cameron is spineless and is trying to appease his own MP's and that is why Scots should never ever trust him. I hope he does not get involved in any more wars. I feel so sorry for troops who are going to be made redundant after serving their country. He and this government can not be trusted for one minute all this to save money. Gorgeous George is an idiot he has had to borrow more because of raised unemployment and is set to have to borrow more money. All those soldiers will probably be unemployed and have to claim benefits. So much for reducing benefits all this lot have done is to put more people into poverty.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7648 on: January 28, 2013, 10:04 PM »

I just wanted to bring attention to this awful tragedy that has touched my heart because the majority of the 245 that were confirmed dead was around my age group. 3 people have been arrested in the local proximity of the nightclub, but the police aren't sure if it was an arson attack. It is also the largest death toll in a fire since 9/11. Wow.

Mod Notice'Santa Maria nightclub fire!' was merged with this thread.
[ Last edit by Mark January 29, 2013, 12:04 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7649 on: January 29, 2013, 12:24 AM »

Last I heard was that the fire could have been caused by the fireworks that went off.

Terrible tragedy though.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 509 [510] 511 512 513 ... 608 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »