Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 511 [512] 513 514 515 ... 609 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 235923 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7665 on: February 02, 2013, 08:12 PM »

I don't condone it either, but Roniaha is one bloody good voice impressionist.
I've only just listened to the recordings.  Real creepy stuff.  Ugh!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7666 on: February 04, 2013, 12:07 AM »

Police are considering whether they'll appeal a judge's decision to discharge a sportswoman without conviction on drink-driving charges.

In Gisborne District Court last week, Judge Graham Hubble discharged the woman without conviction and granted her permanent name suppression when she appeared on a charge of driving while almost twice the legal alcohol limit.

Police say they will seek advice from Crown Law on whether an appeal against the decision will be lodged.

The woman is not well-known nationally and does not play a mainstream sport, police have confirmed.

The woman's lawyer, Marcia Insley, told the court that her client, who had no previous convictions, had reached an "exceptional level" in her sport, and had been offered a chance to compete overseas, the New Zealand Herald reports.

A conviction would affect her ability to do that, Ms Insley said.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/16056126/police-may-appeal-drink-driving-decision/

I'm sorry, but wtf

Punish accordingly naughty
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7667 on: February 04, 2013, 12:56 AM »

^ Definitely.  Drink-driving is a serious offence, even if she was 'only' twice the legal alcohol limit - and it shouldn't make any difference anyway whether a sportsperson is well-known or not.

And I notice that Bernard Tomic has once more been caught speeding - but at least this time he's lost his licence.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/bernard-tomic-caught-speeding-loses-licence-20130129-2die1.html
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7668 on: February 04, 2013, 02:16 AM »

I agree.  What's the point in me trying to instil the rights and wrongs of driving into my kids when others don't do it?

And good for the Aussie courts - we have limits for a reason, though driving to work this morning (well not me, since I don't drive) I would have thought that the speed limit was increased overnight Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #7669 on: February 04, 2013, 11:58 AM »

They have the king!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-21063882
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7670 on: February 04, 2013, 05:09 PM »

Can't help but feel sorry for Chris Huhne losing his career due to lying about a speeding fine. And then there's this exchange with this son:

Text exchange
21st June 2010
Peter Huhne: Just tried you, ring back within five.

PH: Pick up, pick up your f****** **phone.

PH: I don't want to speak to you, you disgust me.

Chris Huhne: Hope you are okay, I'm visiting Gran on Saturday, would you like to come?

PH: No I will see her without you.

28th June 2010
CH: Peter, just to say, I'm thinking of you and I love you very much. It would be great to talk to you, Dad.

PH: F*** off.

Huhne had tried to write a letter to his son, against sparking a negative reaction:

22nd July 2010
PH: So nice to see our entire relationship reduced to lies and pleasantries in that letter. Do you take me for an idiot? The fact you said your parents were happier as a result of their divorce was disgusting...You are the most ghastly man I have ever known. Does it give you pleasure that you have lost most of your friends?

30th July 2010
CH: I understand that I have really offended you but I hope that the passage of time will provide some perspective... I love you and I will be there to support you if you ever need it.

PH: You are right - the perspective involves me getting angrier with every day that goes by. You just don't get it.

25th December 2010
CH: Happy Christmas. Love you, Dad.

PH: Well I hate you, so f*** off.

28th December 2010
CH: Tiger, Have you had any news from St Peter's yet? Love DadNo answer

CH: Congratulations, I'm really proud of you, Dad.No answer.

CH: Well I'm proud and I love you, Dad.

PH: Leave me alone, you have no place in my life and no right to be proud. It's irritating that you don't seem to take the point. You are such an autistic piece of s***. Don't contact me again, you make me feel sick.

16th January 2011
CH: I hope you are okay, just to let you know I'm thinking of you lots and love you.

PH: You couldn't think about anyone but yourself. You are a pathetic loser and a joke. Have fun with your....

27th February 2011
CH: Hope you are okay. Saw a Beckett reference and thought of you in Godot, MI6 used to be full of people who did languages at Oxford. Love you.

21st may 2011
CH: I do hope your exams are going okay, despite everything over the last few weeks. Thinking of you, love you, Dad. PS It's grandad's birthday today.

PH: Don't text me you fat piece of s***.

After allegations had emerged, shortly before Huhne and Pryce were due to be interviewed by police, Peter had another conversation with his father.

21st May 2011
PH: We all know that you were driving and you put pressure on mum. Accept it or face the consequences. You've told me that was the case. Or will this be another lie?

CH: I have no intention of sending Mum to Holloway Prison for three months. Dad.

PH: Are you going to accept your responsibility or do I have to contact the police and tell them what you told me?

CH: Discuss it with Mum.

PH: It's not about her its (sic) about your accepting responsibility to me.

CH: Happy to talk about it with you. Dad.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7671 on: February 04, 2013, 07:56 PM »

OMFG FALL OUT BOY IS BACK AFTER 6 YEARS. I ******* LOVE THAT BAND EEEEK!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7672 on: February 04, 2013, 09:07 PM »

Can't help but feel sorry for Chris Huhne losing his career due to lying about a speeding fine. And then there's this exchange with this son:

Text exchange
21st June 2010
Huhne held down a responsible position and lied and perverted the course of justice, which is a serious offence and for which he'll receive a custodial sentence.  I can't feel any sympathy for yet another lying politician who thought he was above the law but whose credibility has now been ripped to shreds, although I do feel very sorry about the fact that the highly personal and acrimonious exchanges between him and his son have been made public.

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7673 on: February 04, 2013, 09:13 PM »

Text exchange
21st June 2010
Peter Huhne: Just tried you, ring back within five.

PH: Pick up, pick up your f****** **phone.

PH: I don't want to speak to you, you disgust me.

Chris Huhne: Hope you are okay, I'm visiting Gran on Saturday, would you like to come?

PH: No I will see her without you.

28th June 2010
CH: Peter, just to say, I'm thinking of you and I love you very much. It would be great to talk to you, Dad.

PH: F*** off.

Huhne had tried to write a letter to his son, against sparking a negative reaction:

22nd July 2010
PH: So nice to see our entire relationship reduced to lies and pleasantries in that letter. Do you take me for an idiot? The fact you said your parents were happier as a result of their divorce was disgusting...You are the most ghastly man I have ever known. Does it give you pleasure that you have lost most of your friends?

30th July 2010
CH: I understand that I have really offended you but I hope that the passage of time will provide some perspective... I love you and I will be there to support you if you ever need it.

PH: You are right - the perspective involves me getting angrier with every day that goes by. You just don't get it.

25th December 2010
CH: Happy Christmas. Love you, Dad.

PH: Well I hate you, so f*** off.

28th December 2010
CH: Tiger, Have you had any news from St Peter's yet? Love DadNo answer

CH: Congratulations, I'm really proud of you, Dad.No answer.

CH: Well I'm proud and I love you, Dad.

PH: Leave me alone, you have no place in my life and no right to be proud. It's irritating that you don't seem to take the point. You are such an autistic piece of s***. Don't contact me again, you make me feel sick.

16th January 2011
CH: I hope you are okay, just to let you know I'm thinking of you lots and love you.

PH: You couldn't think about anyone but yourself. You are a pathetic loser and a joke. Have fun with your....

27th February 2011
CH: Hope you are okay. Saw a Beckett reference and thought of you in Godot, MI6 used to be full of people who did languages at Oxford. Love you.

21st may 2011
CH: I do hope your exams are going okay, despite everything over the last few weeks. Thinking of you, love you, Dad. PS It's grandad's birthday today.

PH: Don't text me you fat piece of s***.

After allegations had emerged, shortly before Huhne and Pryce were due to be interviewed by police, Peter had another conversation with his father.

21st May 2011
PH: We all know that you were driving and you put pressure on mum. Accept it or face the consequences. You've told me that was the case. Or will this be another lie?

CH: I have no intention of sending Mum to Holloway Prison for three months. Dad.

PH: Are you going to accept your responsibility or do I have to contact the police and tell them what you told me?

CH: Discuss it with Mum.

PH: It's not about her its (sic) about your accepting responsibility to me.

CH: Happy to talk about it with you. Dad.

Pourquoi?

There's actions and consequences.  And the texts were only published because he didn't hold his hand up from the beginning, and the investigation commenced. no
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Thread « Reply #7674 on: February 04, 2013, 09:54 PM »

Uh huh huh!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7675 on: February 05, 2013, 12:01 AM »

Pourquoi?

There's actions and consequences.  And the texts were only published because he didn't hold his hand up from the beginning, and the investigation commenced. no
"Oh! what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive!" (Scott)  And Huhne just piled lies on more lies over a two-year period.  Possibly he would have lied under oath as well but by that time he knew the game was up, which was lucky for him because perjury carries a far stiffer jail sentence.  I can't believe that he wouldn't have been forced to resign had he not done so (apparently) voluntarily.  It's laughable to think that a discredited politician would have been allowed to conduct parliamentary business from prison and been allowed to call themselves "The Right Honourable".
[ Last edit by Aileen February 05, 2013, 12:12 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7676 on: February 05, 2013, 12:11 AM »

A Lyar should have a good Memory. Lest he tell the same Lye different ways.
[1721 J. Kelly Scottish Proverbs 50]

I have a pretty crap memory retard

Re prison blink 
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7677 on: February 05, 2013, 12:21 AM »

His son is rightly disappointed in him.  That will probably hurt more.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7678 on: February 05, 2013, 12:22 AM »

A Lyar should have a good Memory. Lest he tell the same Lye different ways.
[1721 J. Kelly Scottish Proverbs 50]

I have a pretty crap memory retard

Re prison blink  
I checked online, and it seems that under English law Huhne can expect a custodial sentence of between 6-12 months, no doubt having it reduced for 'good behaviour'. Rolling Eyes  If the course of justice is perverted in a much more serious case, e.g. muder, then the offender can face being sentenced to prison for up to 10 years.

I agree though that the ruined relationship between him and his son will have a far greater effect on him, certainly if the tone of the texts is anything to go by.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7679 on: February 05, 2013, 08:03 AM »

I suppose I felt sorry for him because all this rooted from going at a speed that I've done myself a few times on the M11.

I understand though that the actual crime here is the lying and you can't have that from someone in his position. But unlike the Lance Armstrong case, I don't think he took a constant path of immorality but rather did so on one occasion in regards to his ex-wife.

Either way, he's clearly not an honourable man.
[ Last edit by Mark February 05, 2013, 08:13 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 511 [512] 513 514 515 ... 609 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »