Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 512 [513] 514 515 516 ... 607 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 232788 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7680 on: February 05, 2013, 11:48 AM »

Just to break from serious news, I saw Andy on TV this morning and guess what ? he has had his hair cut short and got rid of all his curls. Must admit I like it short though many on MW do not. He was speaking about Rafa did not see the whole interview just caught the end of it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7681 on: February 05, 2013, 05:44 PM »

^ I had noticed on the pics thread that his hair had been cut.  I'm not struck on it either, but it'll grow back again!  Anyway what channel was this interview on then hopefully it can be caught up with on iPlayer unless somebody manages to post a recording.

I suppose I felt sorry for him because all this rooted from going at a speed that I've done myself a few times on the M11.

I understand though that the actual crime here is the lying and you can't have that from someone in his position. But unlike the Lance Armstrong case, I don't think he took a constant path of immorality but rather did so on one occasion in regards to his ex-wife.

Either way, he's clearly not an honourable man.
His ex-wife was just as bad for agreeing to this lie, although whether she was coerced into it or did it of her own free will, is still under question, but I can understand, although not condone, why desperation on Huhne's part made him act the way he did.  He was a persistent speeding offender who was in danger of losing his licence, having already accrued nine penalty points, and that would have caused him a lot of inconvenience as well as the embarrassment of this finding its way into the news.  That though would probably have been a one day wonder, quickly brushed under the carpet.

Also while I can understand his ex-wife's vindictiveness when she found out about his affair, she's certainly got a lot to answer for and I hope she can live with the consequences.

[ Last edit by Aileen February 05, 2013, 05:51 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Thread « Reply #7682 on: February 05, 2013, 06:27 PM »

That was brilliant wasn't it? Not everyone's cup of tea, I'm sure, but fascinating for those of us in to history. When they showed on the news how the DNA samples matched up my hair stood on end! Awesome stuff!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7683 on: February 05, 2013, 07:20 PM »

Did I forget to mention that Fall Out Boy are back after 6 years. A childhood band reborn!
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #7684 on: February 05, 2013, 07:30 PM »

Did I forget to mention that Fall Out Boy are back after 6 years. A childhood band reborn!

Which isn't much coming from you since you're hardly out the cradle :P
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Thread « Reply #7685 on: February 05, 2013, 07:32 PM »

^ I had noticed on the pics thread that his hair had been cut.  I'm not struck on it either, but it'll grow back again!  Anyway what channel was this interview on then hopefully it can be caught up with on iPlayer unless somebody manages to post a recording.

I loooove his hair like that Smile

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7686 on: February 05, 2013, 08:33 PM »

That was brilliant wasn't it? Not everyone's cup of tea, I'm sure, but fascinating for those of us in to history. When they showed on the news how the DNA samples matched up my hair stood on end! Awesome stuff!
I think if I hear one more car park joke I'll scream!

I'm afraid I can't work up much enthusiasm for this find, probably because my interests lie in a later period of British history and I always thought Richard was a highly dubious individual anyway, but I do admire the work that went into proving that these remains were indeed those of the king and what must have been involved in tracing his present day descendant.  Also genealogical DNA testing is fascinating!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #7687 on: February 05, 2013, 08:38 PM »

I used to be interested in monarchs of Britain and was intrigued by Richard III's reign. Its a joy to know he has been found. Perhaps he will be put on display now! lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7688 on: February 05, 2013, 09:14 PM »

I used to be interested in monarchs of Britain and was intrigued by Richard III's reign. Its a joy to know he has been found. Perhaps he will be put on display now! lol
This afternoon a historian friend treated me to a mini-lecture on the king and his reign (the shortest in British history), which was quite interesting.  However I see there's now an argument raging as to whether these bones should be interred in York or Leicester, so it looks like the controversy surrounding him is set to continue. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7689 on: February 06, 2013, 11:40 AM »

I have to admit that beyond the Princes in the tower and a few other things, I know very little about Richard III, but the discovery of his remains has inspired me to find out more. I'm fascinated by history, not dates and such, but people, so this is right up my street.

There's apparently going to be a few things going on in Leicester. They've got an exhibition opening, as early as Friday I think, about Richard, how they found his remains, all that sort of thing. Given half a chance I'd go.

I have to say as well that just personally it interests me. Richard III was rumoured to have had a hunched back. Since they found the remains they now know that isn't true. However, what he did have was scoliosis, a spinal curvature to one side. Judging by seeing the remains on TV his was quite a significant curvature too. It just interests me because scoliosis is one of the conditions that I have.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7690 on: February 06, 2013, 11:55 AM »

I think if I hear one more car park joke I'll scream!

I'm afraid I can't work up much enthusiasm for this find, probably because my interests lie in a later period of British history and I always thought Richard was a highly dubious individual anyway, but I do admire the work that went into proving that these remains were indeed those of the king and what must have been involved in tracing his present day descendant.  Also genealogical DNA testing is fascinating!

I'm sure a lot of car park jokes will be doing the rounds. I'm also waiting for people to do something with the way he was found in Leicester Social Services, even just to say that with his scoliosis he was probably trying to claim Disability Living Allowance lol.

My period of interest is the Tudors really, but I'll dip a toe into anything and see what interests me.

I think it's hard to know what Richard III was like. Admirers would swear he was the victim of Tudor propaganda, which does make sense in a lot of ways - the Tudors weren't exactly innocent themselves - but others would swear he was a total villain. It's hard to know what he was, but he would have been a man of his time, and they were dark times. The big thing, of course, is whether he did murder his nephews, or rather, have them murdered. I don't think we'll ever be able to say definitively. There is apparently not much evidence that he did, but equally not much that he didn't.

It's the work that has gone in to finding him that fascinates me. It's amazing to me to think they found some remains quickly, within a couple of hours of beginning to look apparently. What has taken time is proving that it is him. The DNA evidence, the genealogy they've had to do, fascinates me.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7691 on: February 06, 2013, 11:57 AM »

This afternoon a historian friend treated me to a mini-lecture on the king and his reign (the shortest in British history), which was quite interesting.  However I see there's now an argument raging as to whether these bones should be interred in York or Leicester, so it looks like the controversy surrounding him is set to continue. Rolling Eyes

The thing is, York probably has a good claim. He was born there for a start. However, I believe there are rules that say that remains such as this have to be placed close to where they are found, which is where Leicester Cathedral comes in.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7692 on: February 06, 2013, 05:58 PM »

I think it is a pity that school kids do not get much history concerning the the different parts of UK. I am appalled that kids up here in Scotland do not get any Scottish history. In the main it is about the second world war an Europe. I think it is important for them to learn about the history of their own country and how it affects us now.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #7693 on: February 06, 2013, 06:27 PM »

Nothing to do with history, but to do with sport. A girl from Manchester who was pitted to be the next big swimmer after Becca Adlington at the 2016 Rio Games has sadly passed away aged only 16.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Thread « Reply #7694 on: February 06, 2013, 06:32 PM »

Nothing to do with history, but to do with sport. A girl from Manchester who was pitted to be the next big swimmer after Becca Adlington at the 2016 Rio Games has sadly passed away aged only 16.

That's tragic, what happened to her?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 512 [513] 514 515 516 ... 607 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »