Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 513 [514] 515 516 517 ... 610 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 249814 times)
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #7695 on: February 06, 2013, 06:36 PM »

That's tragic, what happened to her?

Its not known yet. She was at a party on Saturday night celebrating an award she won for commitment to the sport, she was found dead in her bed by her mother the next day.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7696 on: February 06, 2013, 06:39 PM »

I think poor Richard would have to be practically dead to get DLA as it seems that if you can breath they will find you a job teejay 1. which they say is suitable for you. This government are determined to put disabled people on the bread line. It is appalling what disabled people are going through you can read about it in the papers and it is terrible. Also they are closing down Remploy factories who employ the disabled. If I hear Cameron and George telling us we are all in it togetherI would love to throw rotten eggs at them.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7697 on: February 07, 2013, 02:34 AM »

I think it is a pity that school kids do not get much history concerning the the different parts of UK. I am appalled that kids up here in Scotland do not get any Scottish history. In the main it is about the second world war an Europe. I think it is important for them to learn about the history of their own country and how it affects us now.
I was taught Scottish history at the age of 9 but that was it.  Also history in Britain effectively ended in 1919 because nobody had got round to writing about WW2 or the years between the wars, at least not for schools.

That's tragic, what happened to her?
Its not known yet. She was at a party on Saturday night celebrating an award she won for commitment to the sport, she was found dead in her bed by her mother the next day.
Latest reports say she suffered a cardiac arrest but they don't know yet what caused it.  Apparently she'd slipped at the party and cut her lip, so maybe she had some unknown heart condition and that triggered it off.  Whatever, it's extremely tragic.

[ Last edit by Aileen February 07, 2013, 02:40 AM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Thread « Reply #7698 on: February 07, 2013, 10:51 AM »

I think poor Richard would have to be practically dead to get DLA as it seems that if you can breath they will find you a job teejay 1. which they say is suitable for you. This government are determined to put disabled people on the bread line. It is appalling what disabled people are going through you can read about it in the papers and it is terrible. Also they are closing down Remploy factories who employ the disabled. If I hear Cameron and George telling us we are all in it togetherI would love to throw rotten eggs at them.

I'm sure that's true.

Quite seriously though, I have to say that as a disabled person I am okay financially. Not well off by any means, but I do manage. However, ironically, the main reason for that is that I don't work. Physically I'm just not fit enough for full time work, and part time work, as I'm sure some of you know, doesn't pay well enough, especially when I consider what I'd lose. I know full well that I'd be worse off working than I am by being unable to work, which I think is morally wrong to be honest, but it is a fact. With my physical needs I just can't afford to put my principles, which say that I should be working and providing for myself, before my need to care for myself properly, and having sufficient income to do so.

As for the government, I've always felt that they should get the prime minister to spend a day, or even better, a week, in a wheelchair and see how he likes it. Believe me, a lot of things would change over night.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7699 on: February 07, 2013, 12:34 PM »

My daughter has a friend who has a bone condition (I think the bones fuse together) and he has muscle wasting in his legs. He had an interview with Atos he was found to be fit for work. He is to appeal he cannot sit for long periods about 30 mins is his limit. He cannot walk far he has a mobility car. So they said he could get a sitting down job he cannot sit long as he get bad back pain.The job situation is bad here, as people who have no health problems have difficulty finding work. I dread to think how people who have little money as it is are going to manage. I know many people will have to decide weather to heat their homes or have something to eat. This government are worried about the EU instead of being so dogmatic they should be more concerned about the disabled and the poor. They have plenty of money and should be concerned about the people who need benefits to get by.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7700 on: February 08, 2013, 02:59 AM »

Quite seriously though, I have to say that as a disabled person I am okay financially. Not well off by any means, but I do manage. However, ironically, the main reason for that is that I don't work. Physically I'm just not fit enough for full time work, and part time work, as I'm sure some of you know, doesn't pay well enough, especially when I consider what I'd lose. I know full well that I'd be worse off working than I am by being unable to work, which I think is morally wrong to be honest, but it is a fact. With my physical needs I just can't afford to put my principles, which say that I should be working and providing for myself, before my need to care for myself properly, and having sufficient income to do so.

As for the government, I've always felt that they should get the prime minister to spend a day, or even better, a week, in a wheelchair and see how he likes it. Believe me, a lot of things would change over night.
I can believe it.  Nothing to do with finding a job, but a friend of mine runs a small hotel on the Fife coast.  A few years ago he broke his leg and was rather horrified to discover just how difficult life can be for people with mobility problems.  The result was that he had his hotel renovated to cater for disabled people as well as able-bodied ones, and it's been a huge success.

My daughter has a friend who has a bone condition (I think the bones fuse together) and he has muscle wasting in his legs. He had an interview with Atos he was found to be fit for work. He is to appeal he cannot sit for long periods about 30 mins is his limit. He cannot walk far he has a mobility car. So they said he could get a sitting down job he cannot sit long as he get bad back pain.The job situation is bad here, as people who have no health problems have difficulty finding work. I dread to think how people who have little money as it is are going to manage. I know many people will have to decide weather to heat their homes or have something to eat. This government are worried about the EU instead of being so dogmatic they should be more concerned about the disabled and the poor. They have plenty of money and should be concerned about the people who need benefits to get by.
I can't quite understand the heat or eat thing.  I'm only in receipt of my State Pension and have extremely little in the way of savings (thanks to the greedy, irresponsible banks) but I do manage to eat healthily and keep warm.  I know the price of food and heating is escalating, but with a little thought and careful budgeting it is possible to have at least one square meal a day and also to stay warm, even if, like me, only one room is comfortably heated.  Also I wear warm clothing so rarely have the CH more than one-third on, plus one bar of an electric fire (two if it's really cold).
[ Last edit by Aileen February 08, 2013, 03:04 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7701 on: February 08, 2013, 07:25 AM »

There are always going to be flaws with the system, no matter which government is in power.

I know of 2 people that applied for the same benefit within weeks of one another, one got it the other didnt.  Circumstances were the same. Same authority. Go figure. Think
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7702 on: February 08, 2013, 11:54 AM »

I can believe it.  Nothing to do with finding a job, but a friend of mine runs a small hotel on the Fife coast.  A few years ago he broke his leg and was rather horrified to discover just how difficult life can be for people with mobility problems.  The result was that he had his hotel renovated to cater for disabled people as well as able-bodied ones, and it's been a huge success.
 I can't quite understand the heat or eat thing.  I'm only in receipt of my State Pension and have extremely little in the way of savings (thanks to the greedy, irresponsible banks) but I do manage to eat healthily and keep warm.  I know the price of food and heating is escalating, but with a little thought and careful budgeting it is possible to have at least one square meal a day and also to stay warm, even if, like me, only one room is comfortably heated.  Also I wear warm clothing so rarely have the CH more than one-third on, plus one bar of an electric fire (two if it's really cold).

Aileen you should apply for pension credit if you are only on a basic pension.    I know someone who recently applied and has been granted something like £26 a week extra which she is delighted with.    She is also hoping to get help with rates and it opens doors to more help.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7703 on: February 08, 2013, 01:15 PM »

Yes the problem is a lot of people DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE ENTITLED TO. I worked as a carer and many of my clients did not know they could apply for certain benefits. I used to go to DWP and get forms so they could make claims. They were unable to go themselves, many did get extra money and that little extra did help. Too many people are ignorant to what they could claim for. People are entitled so they should get it.
The people who really need the money are kept in the dark about benefits. The government should let people know what they are entitled to.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7704 on: February 09, 2013, 12:36 AM »

I agree LB but it's always been that way.  Then there are those that know the system inside out - how?

Came across this in the International Express today:-  confused

* benefits.jpg (520.15 KB, 1487x1282 - viewed 43 times.)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7705 on: February 09, 2013, 04:02 AM »

Aileen you should apply for pension credit if you are only on a basic pension.    I know someone who recently applied and has been granted something like £26 a week extra which she is delighted with.    She is also hoping to get help with rates and it opens doors to more help.
Thanks Iluvandy, I do get pension credit (sorry for not mentioning it), and it does make a difference.  Also that person will now be entitled to free dental treatment and eye care, i.e. free tests and specs up to a certain amount.  I also get full housing benefit so's I can pay my rent and I pay the minimum amount of Council Tax, which is low because my flat is Band B plus I get the 25% single occupancy.  However I do still have to be careful because the cost of everything is escalating and there seems to be no end in sight.

Yes the problem is a lot of people DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE ENTITLED TO. I worked as a carer and many of my clients did not know they could apply for certain benefits. I used to go to DWP and get forms so they could make claims. They were unable to go themselves, many did get extra money and that little extra did help. Too many people are ignorant to what they could claim for. People are entitled so they should get it.
The people who really need the money are kept in the dark about benefits. The government should let people know what they are entitled to.
I think that's really what I was trying to say LB, but you have to bear in mind that my generation wasn't in the habit of making claims on social security, so pride comes into it too, and that's another reason my savings got eaten into because it was a long time before I could bring myself to claim that to which I was entitled.  Organisations like Help the Aged do try their best to inform people about benefits, but inevitably many fall through the net.

Came across this in the International Express today:-  confused
That is just totally insane.

[ Last edit by Aileen February 09, 2013, 04:10 AM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7706 on: February 09, 2013, 12:30 PM »

I know many people struggle. If they have worked hard all their lives I do not see why if they are struggling now why they do not claim what is due to them. I for one would not feel the least bit guilty of claiming benefits. I presume Aileen you are around about my age or younger you and I have probably worked all your life. I only had a break to have my children and went back to work when they started school. I went shopping through the week and could not get over how much it costs the prices of meat especially has gone up a great deal. My son contributes to the household so we have a bit extra but my gas and electric bills are high. My husband has very bad arthritis so the house has to be kept warm he can hardly walk at times. I too get annoyed about people who take advantage of benefits but people who genuinely need them are suffering at the moment. God help us it is going to get worse, many people who work for local government are going to loose their jobs in the next few months meaning they to will need job seekers allowance it is a vicious circle. The government are going to have to pay them too. This means more borrowing thus making a never ending solution. They should invest in making more apprenticeships and creating more jobs for the young who at the moment do not see any light at the end of the tunnel.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7707 on: February 09, 2013, 07:45 PM »

^ I can only guess your age, LB - but I've a feeling it's you who is younger than I am.

I do realise that there are people like your husband who simply must live in a warm house, so I feel very strongly that these people should get extra help towards heating costs.  It makes me angry when I think of my cousins, all of whom are well off and who own their own homes having long since paid off the mortgage, getting there £200 WFA - especially as two of them go off on cruises during the winter months!  I know the government refuses to apply a means test for this, but it would be a nice gesture if those who don't need the £200 handed it over to someone who does, i.e. through organisations like Help the Aged and Age Scotland (not the government because they'll only put it back in their coffers), and in fact I read recently that some kind-hearted people have been doing just that.

Escalating prices were brought home to me well and truly today when I had to pay £8.99 for a watch battery, yet it wasn't all that long ago when that would have cost £5 or less.  It's scary!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7708 on: February 09, 2013, 08:08 PM »

I remember a time when your watch didn't need a battery to work old

BTW, I nearly did mention pride getting in the way for the older generation not claiming benefits.

Oh, remember reading about Ann Widdecombe giving away her WFA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16931849
[ Last edit by Bevc February 09, 2013, 08:11 PM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7709 on: February 09, 2013, 08:21 PM »

I solved that I have a solar watch which keeps charged as long as the face is not covered. It is also radio controlled and will adjust when the radio control signal is sent. It changes automatically between day light saving happens. It is not fancy but I like it very much it shows day and date as well. I bought it because I was getting fed up getting batteries for my old watch. It is a casio it is a medium sized watch between a ladies and a mans size with a nice blue face. I got it on ebay as it was cheaper than going to the jeweller.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 513 [514] 515 516 517 ... 610 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »