Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 2 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 514 [515] 516 517 518 ... 592 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 222686 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7710 on: February 09, 2013, 08:31 PM »

Not heard of those LB but sounds great! My watch does need a battery but we bought a packet from the local $2 shop (for $5 confused ) and my hubby changed the battery for me but I still remember my little Timex watch with its blue strap-I had it for years until the winder fell out doh
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7711 on: February 09, 2013, 08:41 PM »

Yes Bevc they are really good and not to expensive. My husband has one too its good because he does not have to fiddle with it once the radio control signal is on thats it. When changing from summer to winter you just put it on the window sill face pointing outwards and it changes with the radio signal and thats it. No problems and it will go forever if you keep it charged with the sun or indoor lighting.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7712 on: February 09, 2013, 11:54 PM »

Just done a google search and found that you can get them here.  All under $150 tend to be digital but I did find a couple that were $199 that had hands on them.  Maybe save for one for Christmas Think
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7713 on: February 10, 2013, 02:12 PM »

Well mine is not digital perhaps some of the cheaper one's are. Just a regular watch face with hands and day and date. You can set it to the nearest atomic clock and it can be used as an alarm and a stop watch it has other functions but I do not use them. Go to ebay and it will give you an idea of what they cost.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7714 on: February 10, 2013, 09:05 PM »

I remember a time when your watch didn't need a battery to work old
So do I. Very Happy  And when you had to wind clocks up too!

Oh, remember reading about Ann Widdecombe giving away her WFA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16931849
All politicians of retiral age, whether they're still in office or not, should be under an obligation to do the same.

I solved that I have a solar watch which keeps charged as long as the face is not covered. It is also radio controlled and will adjust when the radio control signal is sent. It changes automatically between day light saving happens. It is not fancy but I like it very much it shows day and date as well. I bought it because I was getting fed up getting batteries for my old watch. It is a casio it is a medium sized watch between a ladies and a mans size with a nice blue face. I got it on ebay as it was cheaper than going to the jeweller.
These sound a great idea LB and like Bev I might start saving for one.  The only problem I have is that, although my current watch is on its 3rd or 4th bracelet, it was a present from my late mother 30 years ago and has never given me any trouble, so I don't want to part with it for that and sentimental reasons until it finally packs in.  It was an inexpensive watch too, but a jeweler once told me it's a very reliable make (it's a Pulsar, which is made by a Swedish/American company).
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7715 on: February 11, 2013, 12:12 AM »

Well mine is not digital perhaps some of the cheaper one's are. Just a regular watch face with hands and day and date. You can set it to the nearest atomic clock and it can be used as an alarm and a stop watch it has other functions but I do not use them. Go to ebay and it will give you an idea of what they cost.

Thanks LB - it was a NZ site that I'd gone onto.  Cheaper shipping costs/currency conversation rates sometimes.  And I am a bit old fashioned at times, my teachers went through all the trouble of teaching me how to read time using hands, I really ought to use it lol

My current watch was a leaving present from my colleagues in the UK, so sentimental reasons too but starting to look a bit tarnished (well worn/loved).

So do I. Very Happy  And when you had to wind clocks up too!

lol  Grandma had one on the mantel that had to be wound up with a key and we had a cuckoo clock!  I love old things but am happy to embrace new ideas that don't cost the earth. Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7716 on: February 11, 2013, 03:56 AM »

lol  Grandma had one on the mantel that had to be wound up with a key and we had a cuckoo clock!  I love old things but am happy to embrace new ideas that don't cost the earth. Very Happy
My parents had a clock on the mantel that had to be similarly wound up, and my Dad used to do this every night before he went to bed.

And my Gran had a grandfather clock in the hall which needed to be wound up every three days using a huge key.  The weird thing here (and I don't think I mentioned it on the Spooky thread) was that the clock stopped at 05:10 am on the morning she died ... at 05:10 am! nervous  It never worked again either although my aunt, who lived with her, kept trying.  She finally consulted a clock repairer who said that the reason for this was because the clock had got used to my Gran's 'touch' when winding it and so wasn't happy about anyone else doing it ...
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #7717 on: February 14, 2013, 08:39 AM »

Apparently Oscar Pistorius has accidentally shot and killed his girlfriend in South Africa. She came into try and surprise him at 4am for Valentines Day and he woke up and thought she was an intruder. Understandable in South Africa I guess. Frown

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21455453
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 February 14, 2013, 08:48 AM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7718 on: February 14, 2013, 08:44 AM »

She came into try and surprise him at 4am for Valentines Day and he woke up and though she was an intruder. Understandable in South Africa I guess. Frown
I'm very skeptical of that explanation. Tragic if true though.
[ Last edit by Mark February 14, 2013, 10:39 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7719 on: February 14, 2013, 09:36 AM »

Apparently Oscar Pistorius has accidentally shot and killed his girlfriend in South Africa. She came into try and surprise him at 4am for Valentines Day and he woke up and thought she was an intruder. Understandable in South Africa I guess. Frown

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21455453

We know a few South Africans here in NZ and they have horror stories from there.

Very tragic if this is in fact the case.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: News Thread « Reply #7720 on: February 14, 2013, 10:45 AM »

It's understandable. South Africa is barbaric. If someone enters your bedroom unexpectedly at 4am, you shoot first and ask questions later, especially if you have limited mobility.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7721 on: February 14, 2013, 10:56 AM »

Police have now dismissed the theory of a mistaken intruder by saying it did not originate from them.

They have also revealed that there were reports of domestic issues in that property previously.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: News Thread « Reply #7722 on: February 14, 2013, 11:21 AM »

Hmm, in a country like SA, you could literally get away with murder on a 'mistaken identity' ticket.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #7723 on: February 14, 2013, 09:07 PM »

Hmm, might be more to it. The intruder thing in South Africa is understandable and believeable, but whether you would have the time and the nerve in the face of panic to line up and aim for the head I'm not so sure, or whether you go for the head without identifying the target anyway. Would you not just panic, point and shoot?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7724 on: February 14, 2013, 09:10 PM »

the police visited Oscar's property 5 times in the last week in reports of domestic violence. The intruder thing was boll**ks. He shot her on purpose.

Also there are some floating reports he's going to jail for life, so he will be officially inactive or retired if this is the case.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 514 [515] 516 517 518 ... 592 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »