Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 515 [516] 517 518 519 ... 603 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 229939 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7725 on: February 14, 2013, 09:22 PM »

Oscar isn't going to have a leg to stand on in court.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7726 on: February 14, 2013, 09:23 PM »

Oscar isn't going to have a leg to stand on in court.

Markus, do I detect a sense of humour? Our matriarch has awoken!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7727 on: February 14, 2013, 09:25 PM »

Markus, do I detect a sense of humour? Our matriarch has awoken!
I just don't think Oscar is going to walk away from this.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7728 on: February 14, 2013, 09:27 PM »

I just don't think Oscar is going to walk away from this.

Haha
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7729 on: February 15, 2013, 04:39 AM »

^ Mark has obviously been having lessons from Robbie. Very Happy

the police visited Oscar's property 5 times in the last week in reports of domestic violence. The intruder thing was boll**ks. He shot her on purpose.

Also there are some floating reports he's going to jail for life, so he will be officially inactive or retired if this is the case.
It's all very tragic really, given what Pretorius has gone through to succeed in his chosen sport, but I think it could be true because his home is in a high-security up-market gated compound on the outskirts of Pretoria, so the chances of an unknown intruder breaking in seem extremely unlikely.

There's no doubt though that S Africa is a very dangerous place.  I have a cousin who's an ophthalmic surgeon in Johannesburg and who lives on the outskirts of the city.  Not only does he have the usual sort of security systems in place in and around his house but his fairly large garden is surrounded by a huge barbed wire fence and two rottweilers constantly roam the grounds.  He and his family never go out at night either.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7730 on: February 15, 2013, 09:41 AM »

A meteorite has exploded over Russia and has injured hundreds from smashed glass. By coincidence, later today we are due to have an Asteroid pass earth closer than ever predicted for that size.

Some pretty amazing footage available due to the popularity of dashcams there:

[ Last edit by Mark February 15, 2013, 09:52 AM ] IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Thread « Reply #7731 on: February 15, 2013, 09:57 AM »

They had only been goin together for a mere 3 months!!! Crikeyu should still be in the honeymoon period not blowin someones head off.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7732 on: February 16, 2013, 09:01 AM »

They had only been goin together for a mere 3 months!!! Crikeyu should still be in the honeymoon period not blowin someones head off.
Just what I thought Angie!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Thread « Reply #7733 on: February 16, 2013, 09:13 AM »

Not that you could justify doing it after 10 years either though Caz lol Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Thread « Reply #7734 on: February 16, 2013, 10:14 AM »

On the news yesterday they said that Oscar Pistorious could face the death penalty if he is found guilty of the premeditated murder of his girlfriend. I have to be honest, I didn't realise South Africa had the death penalty.

I don't know what to make of it. Instinct tells me that an accidental shooting is unlikely, given that she was shot four times apparently, and allegedly through a bathroom door, but it's hard to know without knowing all the facts.

What I really hope the press won't do is fall into a trap of playing the pity card because of Pistorious's disability. Don't get me wrong, if what happened was some sort of tragic accident, he will have to live with it. Howwever, if he did do it deliberately, as a premeditated act, frankly he deserves everything he gets, disability or not.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7735 on: February 16, 2013, 09:33 PM »

On the news yesterday they said that Oscar Pistorious could face the death penalty if he is found guilty of the premeditated murder of his girlfriend. I have to be honest, I didn't realise South Africa had the death penalty.

I don't know what to make of it. Instinct tells me that an accidental shooting is unlikely, given that she was shot four times apparently, and allegedly through a bathroom door, but it's hard to know without knowing all the facts.

What I really hope the press won't do is fall into a trap of playing the pity card because of Pistorious's disability. Don't get me wrong, if what happened was some sort of tragic accident, he will have to live with it. Howwever, if he did do it deliberately, as a premeditated act, frankly he deserves everything he gets, disability or not.
According to this piece of news Pistorius's Uncle Arnold said that 

Reeva was someone they "got to know well and care for deeply[ over the last few months" and that the family had all seen first hand how close she and Oscar had become and how happy they were.

"They had plans together and Oscar was happier in his private life than he had been for a long time," he said. "We are all grieving for Reeva, her family and her friends. Oscar - as you can imagine - is also numb with shock as well as grief.

http://news.uk.msn.com/world/pistorius-numb-with-shock-uncle

I don't mean to sound as though I'm passing judgment here, but unfortunately there have been a few cases in the UK in recent times where the murdered person's nearest and dearest has come on TV expressing their grief, and even appealing for the killer to come forward and give themselves up to the police - whilst it's they who have committed the crime.  How anyone can do that though beggars belief.  Of course the police aren't that easily taken in and an arrest has usually followed fairly quickly.

I haven't read any of today's papers but I don't think the UK press will be playing the pity card.  A crime is a crime, no matter what, and I would think and hope that the same will be the case in South Africa.

IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #7736 on: February 17, 2013, 11:07 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21494319

Went to tons of their shows as a kid and had t-shirts and tapes and more lately spent time singing along to songs off of while babysitting friends kids.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7737 on: February 18, 2013, 02:08 PM »

Not that you could justify doing it after 10 years either though Caz lol Smile
No Angie, but as you said......they should still have been at the honeymoon stage! I was even more shocked when I read that they've only been together since November!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7738 on: February 21, 2013, 07:34 PM »

This is really scary - but why did it take the police so long to arrest these people in the first place?

Birmingham men guilty of mass bomb plot - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21534048

Meanwhile the Pistorius case seems to be disintegrating with a new detective being brought in because the original one offered "a poor quality of the evidence"  Certainly the circumstantial evidence is compelling, but is he ever going to get a fair hearing in a country as corrupt as South Africa is?
[ Last edit by Aileen February 21, 2013, 07:40 PM ] IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Thread « Reply #7739 on: February 21, 2013, 07:38 PM »

This is really scary - but why did it take the police so long to arrest these people in the first place?

Birmingham men guilty of mass bomb plot - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21534048

Collate evidence that will stick and see if you can nab people higher up the food chain.

Don't you watch detective programmes Aileen. nah
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 515 [516] 517 518 519 ... 603 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »