Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 518 [519] 520 521 522 ... 603 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 230098 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Thread « Reply #7770 on: March 05, 2013, 06:01 PM »

Quite frightening that he got into the position he did in the first place.  There are no words...

I'd just like to know what was behind what he said. I know he said it was 'an off day' and then he said he was trying to provoke a reaction (no kidding!), but I think there is more to it than that. Either way, it is very disturbing to think there are people around who still feel like that. It suggests we, as people, haven't moved on much.

When I was six months old a consultant paediatrician told my parents that I was 'never going to be any good'. Essentially I was never going to feed myself, go to school, read and write, etc. She said I was going to be a 'cabbage' and that I should be institutionalised.

That kind of misunderstanding of my disability might have been excusable in the 70s, when I was a baby, because even doctors didn't know that much about it, and certainly didn't know what caused it, which, thank God, they have some idea about now. However, that misunderstanding was based on lack of knowledge, whereas what that councillor said appears to have been based on nothing but hate of a particular group of people, which is why it angers me so much.

I should point out, of course, that my late Dad told the consultant paediatrician in my case exactly what she could go and do with herself.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Thread « Reply #7771 on: March 05, 2013, 06:22 PM »

I'd just like to know what was behind what he said. I know he said it was 'an off day' and then he said he was trying to provoke a reaction (no kidding!), but I think there is more to it than that. Either way, it is very disturbing to think there are people around who still feel like that. It suggests we, as people, haven't moved on much.

When I was six months old a consultant paediatrician told my parents that I was 'never going to be any good'. Essentially I was never going to feed myself, go to school, read and write, etc. She said I was going to be a 'cabbage' and that I should be institutionalised.

That kind of misunderstanding of my disability might have been excusable in the 70s, when I was a baby, because even doctors didn't know that much about it, and certainly didn't know what caused it, which, thank God, they have some idea about now. However, that misunderstanding was based on lack of knowledge, whereas what that councillor said appears to have been based on nothing but hate of a particular group of people, which is why it angers me so much.

I should point out, of course, that my late Dad told the consultant paediatrician in my case exactly what she could go and do with herself.
You're parents were/are clearly amazing people who didn't listen or lie down to what they were told - and, of course, you are amazing having had their love and support.

As for what was behind what he said?  Who knows?  Ignorance?  Fear?  It's not something I can readily understand, anyway.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7772 on: March 05, 2013, 06:33 PM »

THis ofcourse is  what Margaret Sanger wanted ,she started planned parent  hood. still plans abortions more than planning babies.And dear old Georg bernard Shaw another one.They did inclued blacks jews and the insane.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7773 on: March 06, 2013, 01:57 AM »

Good for your Dad.  I've heard similar stories to yours (and some of them are recent) where parents have ignored the doom and gloom mongering of the medical profession, but it must take a lot of guts on their part, so I have great admiration for them - and that includes my own mother who insisted on having a CS against the doctor's wishes in order to save my life, since not only was it an extremely invasive procedure back in the 'dark ages' but, in her case, for medical reasons, it also meant that she could never have another child.  However having waited several years for me to come along she wasn't about to give up, particularly as there was no guarantee she would ever conceive again anyway.

[ Last edit by Aileen March 06, 2013, 02:02 AM ] IP Logged
bubbles80
Satellite Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7774 on: March 06, 2013, 07:32 PM »

i was angry by  stupid counselloer comment  as i was told by three so called pros my son who has server autism wouldnt walk or talk or do anything remotely normal well aged 11 he walks talks and writes and tries to read im fed up with pros writing off children with special needs without giving them a chance  

(I should point out, of course, that my late Dad told the consultant paediatrician in my case exactly what she could go and do with herself)

same here teejay1 as my mum says it not over till ........ lady sings ..... yay yay yay yay yay
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7775 on: March 11, 2013, 05:17 PM »

Jeez, how long are Sky news going to rabbit on about Chris Huhne blahblah Who cares? He lied and got caught. Good! Move on. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Thread « Reply #7776 on: March 11, 2013, 05:19 PM »

Who ever said "points makes prizes" got it wrong there.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7777 on: March 11, 2013, 05:24 PM »

lol

Switched to BBC World, where they have their own Sistine Chapel, to fully explain how the voting for a new pope works. Is it a slow news day or what?
IP Logged
bubbles80
Satellite Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7778 on: March 11, 2013, 11:25 PM »

Jeez, how long are Sky news going to rabbit on about Chris Huhne blahblah Who cares? He lied and got caught. Good! Move on. Rolling Eyes

about time someone is made an example of to many so called pollitians get away with murder so glad finally they get treated like the rest of us  clap clap clap
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7779 on: March 12, 2013, 05:10 PM »

They get away with far too much. What about the money fiddled for expenses, they all do it and have the cheek to get on about job seekers and so on. One rule for them and other rules for the rest of us.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #7780 on: March 13, 2013, 07:43 PM »

Well there's a new pope in town people! Just listened to him speaking to the crowds and as a non Catholic was very encouraged. This is a man who is humble and asked for the people to pray for him there and then.
the commentators were also saying that in Buenos Aires he didn't live in the bishops palace, he lived a humble life, even cooking his own meals and taking the bus to work.
He is evangelical and also very much a promoter of human rights and of equality and love among the people of the earth.
So here's to Pope Francis the First (yay for the name, Francis of Assisi was the founder of the mendicant Franciscan order and some who I studied a lot) may God bless you and lead you as you lead the Catholic church.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Thread « Reply #7781 on: March 13, 2013, 08:04 PM »

I'd heard he's deeply conservative.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Thread « Reply #7782 on: March 13, 2013, 08:07 PM »

I'd heard he's deeply conservative.